Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone have pre-op testing?

Just curious. Yesterday I went through a battery of tests and was wondering if every doctor runs you through the same testing. I had blood work, an EKG, ultra-sound of my internal organs, chest x-ray, upper GI (barium, yuck!) and x-rays of my abdomen.

I had an ecg, blood work, upper GI, abdominal ultrasound, chest x-ray, all preop. Also a psych eval and nutrition consult. I did not have x-ray of abdomen and because ecg was normal didn't need a cardio consult...nor sleep consult because I sleep fine (no apnea). Those tests (or some configuration thereof) are fairly standard...some people even have to do a stress test. I didn't.

I had an ecg, blood work, upper GI, abdominal ultrasound, chest x-ray, all preop. Also a psych eval and nutrition consult. I did not have x-ray of abdomen and because ecg was normal didn't need a cardio consult...nor sleep consult because I sleep fine (no apnea). Those tests (or some configuration thereof) are fairly standard...some people even have to do a stress test. I didn't.

Thanks, RM. I was a little curious since I've read several times that people had barium post op and seemed surprised by how nasty it was and wondered that they hadn't had it pre-op. I don't know the results of my tests but hope they are normal. I go for a physical with the surgeon's associate on the 28th. The doctor was about to send me for a sleep study to help ensure my insurance coverage when they approved me but I don't think I have sleep apnea. I just wish May 6th was here!

Sometimes docs ask for tests to fulfill insurance requirements, and sometimes they just use their judgment (like me NOT needing a cardio clearance since my ecg was fine, although I was a 405 pound 5'5" 53 year old out of shape woman!) The preop upper GI thing isn't as common...but it is informative (swallow strength, hernias, etc). I also had to do a quick one post op before he'd let me go home.

My surgeon ordered:

-chest xray

-abdominal ultrasound

-bilateral doppler ultrasound of the legs

-upper gi (barium.. i agree.. YUCK!)

-TONS of blood work

-medical clearance from PCP

-clearance from a nutritionist

-clearance from pcychologist/psychiatrist

-clearance from a cardiologist

-clearance from a gynocologist

-clearance from a pulmonologist

I have no health problems other than being obese... i think these are all just standard for him.

The preop upper GI thing isn't as common...but it is informative (swallow strength, hernias, etc). I also had to do a quick one post op before he'd let me go home.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that. It must be my doctor's standard procedure as it was pre-printed on the form they sent.

My surgeon ordered:

-chest xray

-abdominal ultrasound

-bilateral doppler ultrasound of the legs

-upper gi (barium.. i agree.. YUCK!)

-TONS of blood work

-medical clearance from PCP

-clearance from a nutritionist

-clearance from pcychologist/psychiatrist

-clearance from a cardiologist

-clearance from a gynocologist

-clearance from a pulmonologist

I have no health problems other than being obese... i think these are all just standard for him.

Hey Riane,

I didn't have to have the bilateral doppler ultrasound of the legs, clearance from a gynocologist or clearance from a pulmonologist, but went through everything else. I have to have a physical next on the 28th the surgery the following week. Thanks for taking a moment to satisfy my curiosity!

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that. It must be my doctor's standard procedure as it was pre-printed on the form they sent.

mine was also preprinted on a form. it also said that it was to rule out a hiatal hernia. i have heard that they can repair those when they do the banding... i didnt have one though. but the barium was really horrible.

mine was also preprinted on a form. it also said that it was to rule out a hiatal hernia. i have heard that they can repair those when they do the banding... i didnt have one though. but the barium was really horrible.

That makes sense because I've read more than a couple have been repaired with the banding. And I sure agree with the barium statement. I dread the thought of more of it. At least it doesn't give me the same reaction as Pepto. That stuff is like an immediate inducer of vomiting for me!

I had the nutritionist and psych appts....today was pre-op day and they drew bloodwork for labs, height, weight, vital signs.

10 more days!!:)

10 more days!!:)

Best of Luck to you!!!!!