Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

back to old habits & not full

I am 1 week post op...ever since surgery I've been so dang hungry! I had my first follow up appt today (have lost 12 lbs since surg day). He still wants me on a pourable mushy diet.

On the way home, I regressed...I went to KFC and bought 4 small potato and gravy's. In the course of ~30 minutes they were gone, along with about 8 oz Water ---- I didn't feel full. Didn't have hungar pangs like I did, but could have ate 1 or 2 more. Is this completely crazy? yes I know it is - what I mean is, the not getting full...?

Please don't criticize me, my husband already has and I feel like a complete failure:sad:

Lemon no criticism here I'm stil on liquids so not much help with experience but remember you are still healing please be careful. YOu probably should have held off on the Water if you had that to soon aftr eating you may have washed a lot of what you ate through the upper pounc to the stomach.

We will slip up and have to forgive ourselves even if others can't. Chalk this one up to an experience remember it and how you felt after words so that you will follow the rules. Good Luck and tell you husband support is what you need not tough love you'r tough enough on yourself.

Lemonade - I hear you lady! I am also a little over one week post op and I don't think I have ever been so hungry in my life. It is ridiculous. I don't know if what we are experiencing is normal or not, but at least you can know you are not the only one who never feels full.

I had a similar crisis yesterday - I had made a grilled cheese sandwhich for my daughter. She didn't eat it all, and before I knew it, I had scarfed down her leftovers. I felt so guilty - I am supposed to be on liquids only. I didn't get sick and I almost wish I had, because now I keep thinking "maybe I could have just a little bit of solid food since it didn't hurt anything yesterday. . ." I guess what we have to remember is that we chose to do this because we want to change our lives. Everything I have read keeps saying that these first six weeks are the very hardest. Don't be so hard on yourself - all you can do it learn from what happened and do the best you can from here. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!! It takes tremendous courage to take this step to make a different life for yourself. You are very brave. You've admitted what happened, now you can let it go. I bet you will do great from here. Good luck to you, and don't be so hard on yourself. Just hang in there through this first hard part, and it will all be worth it (at least that's what I keep telling myself!) :-)

post op liquid and mushy diet is hell. you will have your appetite back until you have your first fill. you have your band right now but it has no function. its just healing. once you get a fill you will feel some restriction. keep trucking. it sucks big time i know. :)

It happens. We all get hungry and we're human, so we're going to slip up. I'm on mainly liquids and some mushy things right now, and I still get so hungry and so frustrated that I want to eat something! But I don't let myself. I'm sick of Soup, yogurt and smoothies, but my appetite is much smaller than it was. It takes time, and that time SUCKS, unfortunately, but it does pass. Even though my doctor told me five days out of surgery that I could have fish, eggs and cheese, I didn't do it. I waited a little longer and then added cheese and mushy Beans (red lentils) to my diet. And some crackers, which he said were okay. Every doctor is different, which also makes it frustrating. 'Why can so-and-so have something that I can't?' But you are NOT a failure! Not at all. Don't feel that way. If you don't have any restriction yet, of course you're going to be hungrier than if you had restriction. One slip-up doesn't make you a failure. It doesn't make any of us a failure. Please don't beat yourself up over it. You had mashed potatoes, not a pizza. You will do fine! :)

Part of what you are actually feeling are the Lies of Hunger: Please read this thread - http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/lies-hunger-92329/

I know it is so had. I am with you - 9 days post-surgery.

Just yesterday, I was driving through town and this was the running dialog in my head.

"Ooooh. 7-11, I'm thirsty, I should get a soda... Crap, can't have soda"

"Hey a Jamba juice, I can have one of those right... I'm thirsty and kinda hungry, Jamba juice is a good choice right?"

Burp. - Tummy felt full still

"Ok, maybe I'm not hungry...."

"Ooooh, McDonnalds..... I'm on liquids and some bandsters have milkshakes to help get enough calories... I could get a kids milkshake and that is not a whole lot... that would actually be good for me, because I need the calories right.???"

"Wait, In-and-Out have better shakes, but they don't make a real small one... Well, I could get that and just drink the whole thing over the coarse of my day... it would be the same thing right..."

"Wonder if I will ever be able to have a Wendy's chicken Sandwich again? Them are good!!! It's got chicken and cheese, and the bun is not that big...."

Ugh... It was so very hard...

But I have recently, 9 days ago, gave the little voice of reason a grip on my stomach - the band. And so it was able to bring me back into reality. Not by stemming the hunger, but by just remembering that it was there, and what a drastic proceedure I went through because I cannot keep the weight off - like a lot of lap-band patients I have been able to loose up to 60 lbs in my life, at least 3 times, and then put it all back on.

I would challenge you to question your hunger - I am not saying you are not actually hungry, but I am asking you if the hunger is in your head or in your gut. If you have a hard time driving anywhere without stopping for food, bring Water with you, drink, drink, drink. or even Crystal Light... I love the lemonade - get the Safeway brand, cheaper.

Our brains, and even our bodies have learned to fool us, we have learned to fool ourselves, we have trained the people around us into fooling us too and we pass all that behavior on to our children.

My 4 yer old son yesterday told me that he NEEDED his candy or he would die. His words. That scares me. He and my other 5 kids and my wife are the reasons I did this. So I just have to keep them in mind.

-BSG

You know what when you first have your band put in you mainly have to rely on your own willpower for the first 4-6months and that is no lie... you will have no restriction after the first 2 fills depending on how much is put in i know i didnt. I was banded may 15th and i felt the first time i felt real restriction was in december of 08. Slow and steady wins the race...at least you didnt have a lemon parfait to go with it and 2 wings..