Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lifting restriction after surgery

hello, i was banded on the 31st of march, and thought i was ready to go back to work on this past tues, the 14th, but my surgeon had faxed over a lifting restriction of nothing greater than 20 lbs for 6 weeks,, and the work doctor did not clear me because i am a nurse, and our department does not take anyone back with any lifting restrictions. I did not think this would be the case at all post op, because all i heard preop was how quickly people return to work, did anyone else have this length of lifting precaution placed on them as well? thank you!

My son is 15kgs (over 30lbs) and I was carrying him within a week of surgery. I checked with my surgeon and he said it was fine.

Your dr is probably being cautious. But if he's put a lifting restriction on you, surely it means you can't go back to work, then?

that is what i am wondering, tomorrow will be my first post op visit, and i had called ahead to ask the office staff the doctors policy of weight restriction , and they again confirmed that it was nothing over 20 lbs....we'll see what he says, i have the 'time' in my extended illness bank, but i feel like i am leaving my coworkers in a fix because, i am on the schedulle already for the next 3 weeks, and they would have to find coverage for me......

Discuss this with your surgeon. I had a 3 week 15 pound restriction but my surgeon said many nurses go back after 1 week....perhaps they don't take sick time/EIB leave and therefore don't have to have a letter to go back to work?

that is what i was wondering too, because i used my eib , rather than pto, a note is necessary...well, i will talk to his partner tomorrow, my surgeon is away on vacation, i never met this guy, so we'll see...part of me would love another 3 weeks off, but part of me is going insane at home!

Honestly, I'm 54 and not in the BEST shape but I would've freaked if I had to be out that long. I started my 3rd semester of nursing school as I finished my surgery (I had scheduled it for earlier but my liver was too thick) so I was in clinicals several days a week. I had about 9 days before my 1st clinical and I was fine. Three weeks would've been nice but not really necessary. Actually you may lift occasionally but you can get help moving patients etc..so I can't imagine they won't give you a green light if you want it!

I was told the same thing as you Rabbitt. However, I have twin 2 year olds that are potty training, so I have been lifting them from the moment I got home from the hospital. I am not saying it is good advice, but it just wasn't possible to *not* lift them.