Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain, thinking of switching dr.

My dr has always been very supportive until recently. I was banded 06/16/07. Lost 110 lbs. Then in Oct 08 had a fill of .25cc. That evening I had no restriction at all. I called my dr. He said it was my imagination. Went back to dr in Jan 09. Only had 2cc in band He put 5cc in. Jan 09 got 2cc. March 1 cc for a total of 8cc in an 11cc band. Still have no restriction. Had upper GI last week, no slippage everything fine. Sat. had scope. No problems. So in my opinion the problem has to be the port or tube. The dr. says no the problem is in my head. But this is my body and I know how I felt (with restriction) prior to what over happened in October. What is your opinion? Has anyone elst had this problem? What should I do?

Did your doctor remove the saline before adding a fill to check that it's all there as expected? My doctor's office did this recently and we learned that I'd lost some fill. That might help in determining for sure if there's a leak of some kind.

Do you think you might have stretched your pouch? I did that and had to go on liquids for two weeks to reduce the swelling and get back to normal restriction. Some folks really like the 5 day pouch test as a way to get back on track (less daunting we 2 days of liquids rather than 2 weeks).

I think there are normal fluctuations in how tight the band is at any point in time too. And I'd read that 8cc is on the low side for the larger band so maybe you need more fill at this point. Do they do a barium swallow so they can see that the restriction is just right? I think a lot of my problems where having a fill without the barium and not knowing my restriction was wrong. I definitely won't make that mistake again - I need to see and feel that the band is just right before I get up out of the chair.

Also, you know your body and you have a right to say so to your doctor. I don't think it hurts to tell him that you don't appreciate how he's handling the situation and that you want, and need, him to listen to you so you can come up with a solution together. Sometimes docs need a little directness to get shocked out of their belief that they're always right. Before you leave his practice it might be a good idea to directly tell him that you're considering it and why.

Just some thoughts :-).

Britt

I was banded in July 08. I have now 6.5 ml in a 9ml Realize band. I have NEVER felt real restriction! I lost 40 lbs. but since Nov08 nothing. I just went and still nothing. I had barium swallow, all is fine. Only time I feel it is when I eat really stringy meat or now an apple. It is not helping me much. Basically I am same as I was before surgery. NOT IN MY HEAD. Last appt. I was told this could take TWO years. To get some restriction? huh?? Not what I was told beforehand. Gee whiz.

I had the same problem and it took about 6 months to convience the doc that something was wrong. When they put the dye in they could not see it leaking. Finally they did surgery and found the leak. Tube punctured during a fill. I just switched hospitals/docs and the new doctor is great. If you feel you need to do something diffrent do it. I am glad I did and the new doc is very very supportive.