Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for Lap Band Surgery

:smile:Hello everyone, I am GVD or Gloria. As of this coming Monday I will be 61-years-young and I am still not sure about having surgery. I felt sure about every step of lap band surgery when I began all of this and I know I do want to lose weight and I have talked to several people who has had the lap band surgery and read everything that I can get my hands on and I have just finished my six visits with my primary doctor and getting ready for the next step.

One thing that worries me is going through all the steps and then finding out that there maybe too much scar tissue and I already know that I have a hiatal hernia and I don't want to get my hopes up and find out that I am not a good candidate, it would be such a let down...

Another thing that bothers me is that everyone that I have talked to that has had lap band surgery says that after the surgery they have severe pain in their shoulders and I remember the pain I had in my shoulders after I had gall bladder surgery and they assured me that this pain is worse than that or even having a baby. Which I remember the labor pain of having my children also.. I keep telling myself anything worth working for is worth a little pain, but I am not sure I can handle as much pain as they are describing. What can you do to help the pain?

The reason I want to lose weight is to feel better, have more energy, get off a lot of medication that I am on and be able to cross my legs once again.

I have two daughters that have had the more extreme gastric bypass surgery and my oldest daughter has gained all her weight back and my youngest daughter is working on losing some of the weight that she has gained back.. They both exercise every day with my oldest being in jazzercise and the youngest walking every day but they have found those foods that go in easily like chips and they enjoy their chips. My oldest just told me yesterday that sometimes you forget that some foods will swell and you are so uncomfortable like noodles... They both have advised me if I could do it on my own to do it that way instead of having surgery, which I have lost 30 pounds but I have about 80 to 90 pounds more to lose. At my age it so very hard and I just don't know if I can...I would like to hear other opinions please.

Thanks you.

Hi Gloria, welcome to LBT! I am no expert, but I've been hanging around this website for a few months and have learned a lot and gotten a lot of support here. Glad to have you aboard.

I am lxg (Lynne), 65 years young and was banded in August 2008. So far have lost 60 lbs and feel so much better, I can hardly believe it! I joined a gym (Curves) and work out 3 X a week, gave away my old clothes and bought some new ones, and put on a pair of regular waistband (instead of elastic band) jeans today! I can also cross my legs for the first time in years.

I too had a hiatal hernia, which the doctor fixed during surgery and from that day on I haven't had any heartburn and no longer need to take prilosec or any acid relievers. I was also able to stop taking meds to control blood sugar (was previously pre-diabetic, now normal).

As far as post-surgery shoulder pain, I was told that getting up and moving around as soon as possible after surgery reduces the incidence of gas. I'm sure everyone is different, but I didn't experience any gas pain at all. There was some local discomfort in the area of my port placement incision but that was quite minor and went away in about a week. You will probably be given some liquid pain reliever to take for a few days following surgery and that should help if you do experience any discomfort.

The point is, I urge you to think beyond the surgery itself since that will soon be behind you and then you'll have your whole new life ahead of you. Your doctor will not approve you for surgery if he does not think you're a good candidate. Read all you can in these threads on LBT - it will help you learn how to make the band work for you so you can reach your goals.

Good luck, and stay in touch!

Hi Gloria

I worried about the same things prior to surgery, and thought I should back out. I think it is normal to have second thougts. You can find my post on this board titled just that. I can tell you that 10 months later I would do it again in a heart beat. I have lost about 125 pounds and feel like a new person. Yes, there was pain for a few days, but the results are well worth it. And, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I tired every diet you could think of, and the band, the support of the medical team and the lapband boards have made the difference for me. You must think of this as a lifestyle change and eat right or you will not loss the weight. You will only get the results that you work hard at acheiving. The lapband is not a magic bullet. Good luck on your decision.

Edited by KarenIn
Spelling

Thank you so very much for replying... I keep swaying back and Forth in my decisions of surgery..... I know the weight loss will help me in every aspect of a better life... I think at this point in preparing for the surgery I really need to stay in touch with everyone that has had the surgery and become a part of a support group to help me get through this.

It helps to know that my fears and questions at this time are not crazy but are the same feeling that others have had before their surgery.

I need to know what to expect and your description has helped me so much..

Gloria

Is there a special menu or diet that you have to eat for 6 weeks or more before the surgery?

Do you consider this a safe surgery for someone in their 60's?

How do you get the Protein you need after lap band surgery to stay healthy?

Gloria