Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hernia fixed as well?

Well I got banded yesterday. When I woke up the doc told me that they fixed a hiatus hernia under my esophagus as well. I'm not sure what hurts more right now, the port incision, the hernia incision or the gas. Is it normal not to be able to take a deep breath?

It was a strange day. I am self pay and went to a clinic in Manitoba Canada. They brought me right into operating room, put me out within 5 min, I was out in recovery for about 2 hours and then sent home with pain killer prescription and told to come back in 2 weeks to get the staples out. huh. I feel a bit .... uncared for? I'm not sure. It just seems like everyone else has had way more steps and overnight stays and different meds. Anyways, thought I would share my experience. Has anyone else had the Hernia thing as well?

Congratulations on being banded!!!

I had both surgeries done at the same time too. Yes breathing issues are normal. A hiatal hernia is when there is a tear in your diaphragm at the location where your esophagus passes through it. To repair it, they put a couple of stitches in. Your diaphragm is the muscle you use to talk, breath, cough etc. so issues with such things are quite normal after hernia repair. I actually was pretty tight and couldn't talk or move around much without getting winded.

I had insurance and did not stay overnight. Once I was awake and could pee on my own, I went home. I was given liquid Vicodin, a nausea medication (disolving pills) and antacid pills. I went back to my surgeon for follow-up 1 week later. I was glued so there were no staples to remove.

I had a hernia repaired also. I too have had it alittle difficult to get the deep breath. I am 2 days out and it is getting easier. Haven't taken pain med today - finally got a shower - slept pretty good last night. Right now I just am frustrated since I am home and want to do things but I can't.

I had a hiatal hernia fixed as well. Didn't even know I had one, but sure glad she fixed it while she was in there. I have had pain when taking deep breaths too, but that has gotten alot better and today I can actually cough without much pain at all. I am pretty tender in the area right below the esophogus and still taking the pain med a couple times a day. Congrats on your surgery, even with the pain I am so glad it is done and looking forward to my new life.

I was banded 4/20/09 and woke to find that the Dr had fixed a small hiatal hernia. I didn't even know that I had one. I chose to stay in the hospital that night, I basically told the nurse that I had good insurance and I every other time I did an outpatient surgery something has gone wrong. She had no problems with it. I think the hernias are common.

Off topic:

My only issue now is that I am 5 days post-op and hungry, I am to be on Clear Liquids until May 6th (11 more days) but I needed something a little more thick. I am guessing that the swelling has gone down and everything is passing right through. I took a 1/2 of a can of Campbell’s' Bean and Bacon Soup added 1 & 1/3 times the Water and pureed it. I tasted so good! I have been full now for about 4 hours.

UPDATE: Ok it has been almost 12 hours since I ate the bean soup. What was I thinking! It was too soon. The gas pains were too much and I felt way too full. I will NOT be eating it again for a couple of weeks. Just thought I would let you know in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

Edited by redhead722
updating post