Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 Bean Soup Recipe

Hey guys,

I've been experimenting for the past few weeks and came up with a really great recipe for bean Soup with turkey sausage. It's really healthy, full of Protein and fiber...and delicious! Try it out and let me know what you think :)

1 package of 16/mixed Beans - found with dry bean packages

5 bay leaves

1 tbsp. crushed oregano

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional, if you want it spicy! and you may wish to add more...I used 1 tsp. but I love spicy food!)

1/2 carton of chicken stock

additional Water to cover

3 stalks celery chopped

3 carrots diced

1 large onion chopped

5-6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped

2 tbsp. olive oil

*1 pound turkey Italian sausage (hot or sweet, depending on how you want it...I used hot!!!)

*1 large can of crushed tomatoes

*salt to taste

1. Let the beans soak all day at room temperature. Discard the water when you get home. Rinse the beans. Set aside...

2. Heat olive oil. Sautee onion and garlic until soft.

3. In a separate pan...Remove skin from sausage and brown/sautee the inside meat until fully cooked. When done, drain and add into onion and garlic and mix.

4. Add bay leaves, oregano, crushed red pepper (if you wish) beans, chicken stock, and enough additional water so that the bean mixture is covered by about 2 inches. Add in most of the can of tomatoes (not the whole thing), cover, and heat until boiling.

5. Add in celery and carrots. Cover and cook with low heat for approximate 90 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Stir often!

You may wish to serve with grated cheese on top.

Sounds yummy! I think this would work with ANY bag o beans! I've got some pintos in the cupboard and have everything but the sausage. This may call for an extra run to the grocery store! Thanks for sharing!

I just bought a slow cooker. Is there a way to do this in a slow cooker. Do you have to soak the Beans?

Sure! All you'd need to do is soak the beans overnight. You could boil 'em for an hour, then drain and rinse like you would after soaking overnight then throw them in the crockpot but I never leave enough time to do that in the AM!

Oh and soaking overnight or boiling for an hour, then draining and rinsing BEFORE starting the cooking process does a couple of things.

1. Starts the cooking process for the beans, softens them up, otherwise you're cooking the beans for DAYS!

2. Actually takes some of the stuff out that causes gas and abdominal pain. That's why you drain (and NOT re-use the Water for the actual dish that you're making) and then rinse really well.

You could cook up the sausage in a pan first too. (No need if it's precooked.) Tho you don't have to, it'd just be for browning purposes anyway. Then on low for 8-10hrs or so should do it!

You could even throw a diced potato in it (red, white or yukon gold would be best, russet (or baking potatoes) don't hold up well to long time cooking). Or if you like greens, that would be SO good!! Kale, chard, collards, spinach - yum, yum, yum!!!! And so healthy with all of the Vitamins that greens contain.

Sorry, I can never leave recipes alone! LOL! I'm always adding or changing something!

Thanks for the recipe; it sounds really good. I like the other suggestions of things to add to it as well. Also, thanks for the crock pot tips. It would be easiest to do and coming home to the yummy smells would be a huge treat at the end of a long day.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'd definitely add some greens in next time...I love escarole in my lentil Soup so I may try that in here as well!

I haven't tried it in a slow cooker but I am sure you can. I'd probably do what heartfire said and brown the meat first and also soak the Beans overnight...it really does help with the gas issue :blink:

I'm glad you guys like it...I have a good lentil soup recipe I could share also if you guys are interested :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'd definitely add some greens in next time...I love escarole in my lentil Soup so I may try that in here as well!

I haven't tried it in a slow cooker but I am sure you can. I'd probably do what heartfire said and brown the meat first and also soak the Beans overnight...it really does help with the gas issue :blink:

I'm glad you guys like it...I have a good lentil soup recipe I could share also if you guys are interested :lol:

I'd love it if you could share any good recipies. I get really tired of eating the same thing over and over!