Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not a couch potato but was never much of an exerciser, so joining Curves was a good first step for me.

There are many great points to going to Curves.

It is a good workout for new-timers.

It is a comfortable all women environment

It is a total body workout

It only takes 30 minutes

Mine is in a very convenient location and has excellent staff

It is a simple, structured workout.

I have been going since January and have lost 2" from by chest, 4" from my waist, 1" from my arms, 3" from my hips and 2" from each thigh. I can feel muscles that I didn't have four months ago. The workout is easy and I am surprised at the results I have seen already.

I am not sure that I would go this route after my first year. I may tire of this routine by then and want to try something different. But for now it is a very good plan for me.

I agree, It's a good first step and I was a couch potato But as time has gone on I now need something more. I think you adjust to the same old same old stuff and you need to mix it up a little.

I also go to Curves..started during the preop phase and was just released to start back slowly. While it is probably less strenuous than a traditional gym, we former couch potatoes should find it more than adequate. Plus, I'm more comfortable in the all-women, primarily adult setting (no gym bunnies) and I've made some really nice friends. I even got my mom to join and at 68 years old, she is loving it!

I also joined curves after surgery. Lost around 15 inches the first month. it's a great start for me- i've always been a couch potatoe! NOT ANYMORE!

I agree curves is goof for beginners I started at curves but got bored afterwhile.I like to mix up my exercise routines. I joined American Family Fitness because they had a wide variety of everything.

I just joined Curves yesterday. Getting ready to go again this morning! :wink:

Initially I was going to join the other gym around the corner from my house. But when I pulled up, I felt very uncomfortable with the people walking in.

These huge beefy guys! :)

I decided to sit in the parking lot and watch who goes in and out. The majority of the customers were men - ugh.

The final straw was a man who pulled up in a jeep. He was hot - no lie - big tan arms and all.:rolleyes:

I quickly reversed my car and went straight to Curves!

I personally don't think I will ever be able to work-out with that many good-looking men. LOL

Once and if I outgrow Curves, it will probably be an all women club for me.

I've been going to curves since 3 weeks post op.I have to say it has made a big difference. I was banded 11/07 and have only lost 60 lbs but I have gone down 10 pant sizes from 28 to 18 and my dr tells me I lost 50% of my body fat. I know that the curves workout is a big part of that. Also the clientele is great- there are all kinds of women there some old,young,fat and thin. I have found all of them to be really supportive and none of that competitiveness that is so common at other gyms. I highly recommend Curves.

Hi, I'm looking for a good beginner workout and I think that Curves might be a good choice. I have a few question, though, like do you have to be there at a certain time (like a workout class) or can you come and go when you need to? What is the workout like? I've heard it's a circuit and you switch from one thing to another, but what kinds of exercises are involved--cardio, lifting, etc? Also, do you use machines or do stuff like jumping jacks? Thanks for all the info ladies!

You do not have to be there at a set time. You just show up when you want and jump in at an unattended station (when possible, leave a station or two between you and another woman). You go around the circut a set number of times, the number determined by your Curves depending on how many machines your Curves has.

You start on a recovery board doing any kind of cardio you like, jog-jump-dance-march-ski-Whatever. You will spend around 30 seconds at each station, a voice will let you know when your time is up and say "change stations now". You move to your left one station which will be a strength training machine, you will do that machine until prompted to change stations again, the next station will be another recover board for cardio-and so-on. You work your way around the circuit the set number of times then go to the stretching area where a poster walks you through all the stretches. Total time start to finish should be around 30 minutes.

There are machines to work every muscle group on your body. The machines should be easy enough for most people to work because you use them at your own pace. The machines are hydraulic so you create the resistence by how intense your workout is.

Curves is a franchise and each franchise has their own number of machines. There are required machine that each must have to create a total body workout but many Curves have more than the minimum number. The best way to know what your Curves has is to give them a call and ask for a tour. Below is what mine has. I go around this circuit two times.

Squat machine-with bar on shoulder you squat down then push up briskly to create resistance.

Bicept/tricept-Sit on bench with two hydraulic arm weights in front, alternate arms pushing down and pulling up to work both muscle groups

Stair stepper-My location has two which take place of two of the recovery boards so they are considered part of the cardio.

Shoulder Press-Sit on the bench and pull the bars down and push up briskly to create resistence.

Leg Extensio/Curl-Sit on bench and put legs in weights, pull both legs up then push down for resistence.

Hip Machine-Sit on bench and place legs in weights. Spread legs as far apart as you can then briskly pull them back together to create resistence.

Chest/Back-Sit on bench and push two bars forwards to create resistence then back.

Leg Press-Sit on bench an put your feet on two pedals in front of you. Kick out to create resistence then pull back slowly.

Ab/Back-Sit on bench and move you chest toward your lap, grab two bars and using your ab muscles sit back then move forward again.

Pecs-sit on bench and grab bars on each side of you, pull them forward in front of your chest then back.

Obliques-Sit on Bench and grab one so your arms are bent in front of you. Twist from side-to-side.

Dip Shrug-Stand on pad and with both hands grab the bar which is about thigh-high. Pull the bar up about belly button high. Pull up to chin, push down to belly button creating resistance as you do.

Lateral Lift-Stand on pad and grab two bars on either side of you. Holding arms and body straight, pull up on the left bar bending toward the right then pull from the right beding toward the left.

Glute-Stand on pad lean forward and grab bars. Place your left foot on the pedal behind you and kick back briskly to create resistance then move forward slowly. (My Curves has two of these, one for the left leg then another for the right)

Ab back machine

Edited by Jodi_620