Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - I was banded on 4/10/09. I am having a hard time with this full liquid - high Protein diet. I am sooooo hungry. I am following the diet my doc has given me, but really hate the Protein Shakes. My problem is, during pre-band, I replaced 1 meal with a 3-scoop Protein Shake. I made it with crushed ice and a cup of Water and 3-4 strawberries. I liked it because it was so icy - but now the diet says 1 scoop in 4 oz of water or milk. I cannot choke it down!!! I made it this morning with crushed ice and 4 oz water, turns out to be ~9oz - that will take me all day to finish. Has anyone else went thru this??? Later on down the road, if I can eat my recommended protein amount, can I for-go the protein shake? ? My stomach is growling...I am craving real food... (yes I did call my dr's office, "it'll get better" was the response from his nurse)

If the Protein Shakes are so bad you refuse to drink them, they are worthless. They could be the best available in the world but if you can't stomach them, then they are nothing. Slim Fast maakes a Low Carb Diet ready to drink. 20 grams of Protein in the can and onlye 2 grams of carbs. The chocolate is pretty darn good. Unjury powder is really good but it's pricey. And there are lots of others. Try to compare the nutritional information on what you're using with other products and see if you can come really close and try that as a substitution. You could always take your "3-scoop Protein Shake made it with crushed ice and a cup of Water and 3-4 strawberries", cut all ingredients in half so that you have an amount you can drink in a decent amount of time. Frankly the revised proportions are probably weak tasting and you could even try adding about a 1/2 scoop more of the powder to the 4 oz of water, too. Everybody has had to find what they like, what works for them,etc., be it protein shakes or ways to prepare their food.< /p>

Have you tried mixing your Protein powder into a packet of instant pudding? I used to mix unflavored with pistachio, you can't really tell it is there.

I like the ice too. Have you tried adding a banana into the blender? The Fluid suggestion on the Protein Powder is just a suggestion. You can use as little or as much as you like to get the taste you want.

Here is another option. Designer whey has flavored packs that are fruity. You can mix with Water as they suggest, or you can add more Water and mix in Crystal Light too. I know in the beginning though you are not able to get much down though. The K20 line from Special K is pretty tasty Protein too!

You can also mix unflavored Protein Powder in a Soup that is not chunky... like cream of chicken or cream of potato if you strain out the potato chunks.

I wish you lots of quick healing...and before you know it, you'll be on to the mushy food and solids again! Take care! Congrats on your surgery!

Oh, and I also like using Nestle Quick or flavored coffee creamer in my Protein Shakes.< /p>

not sure how much it will help with the hunger but Isopure has a Protein Drink that is clear you can get it at GNC or a Vitiamin store. Taste ok, at least it's not that powdery chalky taste. 40 grams of Protein per bottle.

I was also banded on 4/10/09. Was on full liquid diet as well and didn't get hungry until Monday night. I was just drinking/eating Jello, 100% fruit juice, 3oz ensure, etc.

But my doctor only suggests pure liquid diet for the first three days. I was advanced to the mushies (mashed potatoes, oatmeal, farina, baby food, purees etc) last night.

And I did very well, last night I had a jar of mango baby food 3.5oz and today i had 2oz of cottage cheese mixed with 1.5oz of orange/banana baby food and it was pretty good and did the trick. No problems at all with my band and my doctor said i could even go up to 4oz if i was still hungry, which i'm not, the 3.5oz is plenty.

how long are you required to stay on the liquid diet?

I had the same problem with the shakes. I used HMR, which most bariatric centers will carry. Pre-surgery, I was able to choke it down blended with banana and ice. But afterwards, I obviously couldn't use the bananas, but blending also put too much air in the shake and it gave me gas pains. What I finally found was nectar protiens cappucino flavor. Yummy! Now I drink my shakes all the time, even crave them. I feel like I'm having a frappucino when I'm actually getting 43 grams of protien, more if I use milk. Idrink four ounces in the morning and the rest at night. I don't know if that would work for you, but Nectar has lots of good flavors.