Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decisions Decisions

My Fiancé and I are both overweight and have struggled to lose that weight.

We have already decided to go with the Gastric Sleeve surgery, and have talked to a couple of doctors here in the Texas area. Two friends of ours have had the surgery have had great success.

Here is where the decisions come.

The cost for doing the surgery state side is almost double what is is to go to Mexico or Costa Rica. We have looked into Costa Rica and Mexico both. My other half likes the Costa Rica option and I would prefer Mexico.

I would like opinions on the following.

1. Pay the extra, do it stateside.

2. Do it in Mexico. - Dr. Aceves

3. Do it in Costa Rica. - Dr. Mario Saenz Ramirez

Thanks,

SmallGuy

I am not familiar with any docters in Costa Rica but after extensive research and networking I chose Dr Aceves and feel I will not be disappointed. I am a real skeptic and narrowed it down to 2 doc in Mexico and went with Dr Aceves b/cause of great communication with Nina in his office and he seemed to be the most experienced with VSG. It is a hospital rather than a clinic and he also offers more hospital night stays to be sure.

Also, the area where he is located in Mexico is not a high risk border town. Good luck with whoever you choose..my date is set for mid June and I'm counting the days down!

I just had my sleeve with Dr. Aceves on April 2nd. I have to say that this was the most amazing experience I have ever had in terms of hospitalizations. He and his staff are the best I have ever encountered. They are very professional and fantastic at what they do. The facilities are beautiful, state of the art and you could literally eat off of the floors.

From the moment you arrive, to the moment you leave, they are constantly providing for all of your needs. Trust me, if you go with him, you will be extremely pleased with the results.

I went with #1 but I also am completely crazy about my surgeon. If I hadn't been, I would have gone with #2 and it probably would have been Dr. Aceves too. He and Dr. Rumblaut made the top of my possible surgeons list and Aceves has more sleeve experience. I wouldn't do #3 just because Costa Rico is too far away if you have complications and need to go back for some reason.

My Fiancé and I are both overweight and have struggled to lose that weight.

We have already decided to go with the Gastric Sleeve surgery, and have talked to a couple of doctors here in the Texas area. Two friends of ours have had the surgery have had great success.

Here is where the decisions come.

The cost for doing the surgery state side is almost double what is is to go to Mexico or Costa Rica. We have looked into Costa Rica and Mexico both. My other half likes the Costa Rica option and I would prefer Mexico.

I would like opinions on the following.

1. Pay the extra, do it stateside.

2. Do it in Mexico. - Dr. Aceves

3. Do it in Costa Rica. - Dr. Mario Saenz Ramirez

Thanks,

SmallGuy

I have to admit, I'm a Dr. Aceves fan. He did my band then he did my revision from band to sleeve.

I know first hand that Dr. A makes a very small and tight sleeve. Some doctors just don't have the technique down and they leave the sleeve too large and you don't lose well.

I don't see the value in paying extra money in the US for a sleeve. You could spend more in the US for less experience and less hospital time... and for what?

Just go to an FACS doctor, that way their background is totally verified.

I had my band surgery in the U.S. and then, 3 years later, started researching my options as far as revising to the sleeve was concerned. I'm an RN and knew what I wanted as well as what I didn't. On 4/1, I had my revision to VSG with Dr. Aceves in Mexico and have nothing but positive things to say about the experience.