Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello to you all... I am new here

:) Hi there,

My name is Nicole and I am in Plumas Lake, California. (about 30 minutes from Sacramento). I am just starting my journey. I have a seminar/counceling appt next tuesday. I have Kaiser insurance and not sure how difficult this process will be for me. I hear that the surgery and appointments are handled out of the Richmond hospital about 2 hours away from me, so that doesnt make me too happy. I am at 39.9 BMI and I hear 40 is the minimum. BUT I have health issues so hope I dont have to fight too hard to get approval. I am looking forward to making friends on the site and gain so much information from those that have gone before me (so to speak). I am a little scared of the whole process but more afraid of NOT doing anything!! I am tired of the looks, and discrimination. I am a Realtor and need to be able to get around better, climb stair better, get down into tiny basements (which is maybe a benefit of being heavy.. I cant get into those tiny enclosed places. haha) and just appear more professional.

I welcome any hints and TLC that may come my way.

Glad to be here!!

Nicole

Hi Nicole, welcome to lapbandtalk. There are a lot of cool and knowledgable people on here that you need to get to know, so start reading and snooping around, lol. I have my fingers crossed that the whole approval process goes smoothly for you!

Hello and welcome.

I have Kaiser as well and went through Richmond Kaiser.

I got referred in early November. Had orientation in December. Orientation was a 4-5 hour program and very full. YOu can't be late at all and that is when they take your starting weight. Wear extra clothing and shoes to weigh in on this appointment:tt2:

at this appointment they give you options of RNY and lap band.......also you get the pre op diet. Start it right away!! If your strict with the diet the weight comes off pretty quick.

Next is the psych evaluation. Pretty easy appointment as long as you don't have a mental health history.

Than you get a surgeons appointment next. At this appointment they give you a goal weight for surgery. If you have already lost 10% since the orientation weigh in (which is possible-lots of people have done it) than you move forward towards a surgery date

Next appointment is when your at goal weight with the case manager. They will meet with you and give you a sugery date usually 4-6 weeks out.

After that you get lots of blood work and lab tests and you will meet with the surgeon one more time.

Than you go to pre op which is half day class. Half nutrition and half pre op prep.

Usually the same day you get a surgeons appointment, a physical and final lab tests.

Than on to surgery..............

They say it takes 6 months usually but alot of us made it in four months......................depends on how fast you lose the weight. I could have done it in three but I went overseas for a month and delayed the surgery until I got back..........but that was my choice to delay surgery a month.

Staff at Kaiser is great!! strict but once they know your serious about getting healthy they are supportive. They say that 90 of people that come to orientation don't make it to surgery.................so they do try to weed people out in the beginning but if your one of the ones to stick around they are supportive.

I had Dr. Baggs and he is GREAT. Love him!! But also heard great things about the other doctors there. Dr. Fischer, Dr. Im and Dr. Fishcher. Dr. Baggs is the chief of surgery and does alot of the procedures.

Richmond is not the greatest part of town. But the drive over there is not bad. I live in Sacramento and went over there about once a month during the process...........now I will be going every six weeks or so to get a fill and check up.

I lost 25 pre op and have lost almost 10 this last week since surgery. It is alot of work and it will continue to be alot of work.

We have a very active support group in the sacramento area that meets regularly.

I say go for it and ask for tips from those of use who just went through it.

Come on over the the Kaiser Richmond pre op thread.........that is where all the kaiser people post and we ahve a very supportive group of people in the sacramento area. We get together once a month. Join in!!