Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did you have the surgery there? If so how did it go? I am suppose to have it on May 29. I am a little nervous but so excited. Can you tell me about your experience? Thank you in advance.

Did you both get your lapband surgery with Dr Pompa in May? Have you had any problems? Was it a good experience? I am scheduled with Dr Pompa in Sept and just wanted to know how your experiences have been. Thank you very much for the info and I hope you are both doing great!

Hi newbie,

Yes, I had my surgery with dr pompa an may 29, 2009. It was a great experience. I am currently down 46 pounds and feeling great. I am almost half way to goal! who is your patient cordinator that you are going through? I am happy to give you any information that you need...just let me know.:)

I am also new since I just decided to do this. Reading so many threads today has helped make up my mind. I have 65 pounds to rid my body of and the only thing I haven't tried is bariatric surgery.

Thank you Less of Me and congratulations on your great weight loss so far! Do you mind if I ask a few more questions about your surgery? I just wondered what brand of band did you get and have you had any issues with the port or getting fills? Any regrets? Sorry, I have been reading so much the past few days that I have gone from being really excited to being a little nervous about it now. How long did you do the pre-op diet? Thank you again for your help and sorry for all the questions!!:)

pr8453, you misunderstood me. I didn't make up my mind until yesterday after reading threads half the day. I haven't had my surgery yet but I am pretty excited the possibility.

I had the actual FDA approved lapband. One thing you do need to know is that in mexico they still use the 10cm-4cc band. where as the US uses the 10cc-14cc band. I like the smaller band you need less fills and you have more restriction. I did have a little trouble with my port the first time I went for a fill becasue of all the weight I had lost it had turned sideways so they laid me on my back and pressed on the port till it layed down flat. Then they were able to do the fill. Also find out if you have any dr in your area that will do a fill for a mexico patient and the cost. I live in the big town of phoenix and drive 2 hours out of town to a wonderful hospital in flaggstaff that does my fills under fluoroscopy for a total of $250 a fill. I do not regret this one bit. I am thrilled everyday that I have this wonderful tool to help me. I have only had one fill but as of now it is doing wonders. I litterally cant eat breads without feeling the pain of the stuck feeling which you keep in mind and stay away from (breads are my weakness pre-surgery). I was on the fence for a long time and I know now that this was the best decision I made for myself!! I am happy to help with any other questions you may have. Are you going through ISA for your surgery with LIMARP? Hope this does help.;)

Your response was very interesting and informative. I live in N J which and Canada is closer. I think I will research Canada. I did not think od leaving USA for this. As you can see, I am a real newbie. The cost and my ability to pay for it concerns me greatly. Does the size or capasity really matter?

What doctor did you see in Mexico?

which doctor did you see in Mexico?

The dr that did my surgery was dr Lopez assisted by dr Pompa

Hi, my name is Teena and I am a newbie to this my weight started at 287 before surgery,then on surgery date was 267 and now at 5 week post-op I am 250. I had my surgery done in Chicago,Il at Mercy Hospital with Dr. Rossette.

I am scheduled with Dr Pompa on Sept 9th. I set everything up through Dr. Daniela Colin-LIMARP CHIEF NUTRITIONSIT so that is the only person I have corresponded with for all of my questions. I start my pre-op diet on Monday and I am really excited to be getting this done finally. I have been thinking about it and researching it for past 2 years but my insurance didn't cover WLS and I had no idea that Mexico was an alternative. Then this year my insurance started covering it but you have to show medical records for past 5 years showing a BMI of over 40 and I only had past 2 years over 40 and refuse to wait 3 more years - and continue gaining weight - just so my insurance will cover it. I was able to find a dr in Atlanta that will do the fills and there is also a Fill Center USA close by. So hopefully all will go well.

I am happy that you are ready for your journey. But If I may suggest something. find out about the dr in atlanta to do fills and the cost. Here in phoenix I tried going to fill center usa for my first fill. They did not do it under fluroscopy, they do whats called bling and feel for your port and then start stabbing. they stabbe constantly for 20 minutes went through 3 differant people trying and then they told me they thought my port had flipped upside down and that I would need to go back to mexico to have it surgically fixed. They still charged me the $369. Instead of going straight back to mexico I decided to try a dr 2 hours outside phoenix who did it under fluroscopy and did it in a hospital and only charged $250. I went to him and under flouro he said my port was sideways which is normal with a lot of weight loss so he layed me on the table and pressed on my port till it layed down flat. then they were able to do the fill. I am happy with my dr and was very unhappy about fill center usa. Plus I hear that if they do the fill blind they have a possability of hitting the tube that goes to the band and creating a leak. I dont mean to scare you but it a lot easier getting plans and dr in order before surgery if you know some additional information to ask about. I hope this helps. congrats and God Bless!