Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unhappy with band & looking for surgeon to remove it.

:confused: On my own with Portion Control & exercise had successfully lost from 406 in January 2007 to 346 in August 2008. I was continuing to lose weight but HUNGRY all the time.

I had investigated gastric bypass in 1999 & again in 2002 but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take at that time. The complications for someone with Lupus were astoundingly bad.:thumbdown:

I had a friend go to a lap band seminar in June of 2007 & told me all the WONDERFUL things they learned.:biggrin: I went to a seminar in July 2007. I scheduled my appointment the night of the seminar but with insurance approval I couldn't have the surgery until August. My rheumatologist warned me about lupus complications but approved me for surgery at my insistence(sp?). My bad! :unsure:

I flew through the surgery without a glitch & only MINIMAL pain. :thumbup: I continued exercising by walking 10,000 steps a day without fail & riding the exercycle for 25 to 30 minutes daily.

I had a big adjustment with lap band eating. It was awful not being able to drink with a meal or immediately after meals.:eek:

After a few months, my port began to protrude & be extremely painful. :crying: I continued to loose & reached 261 before I couldn't stand to touch my own port area with an elastic waistband.

I continued to see the surgeon & he was wonderful. I had a CT scan to determine if my body was rejecting the port & while there was some slight inflammation, he didn't believe it was infected. He thought the port might need to be relocated. I gained back up to 300 pounds just to be able to 'pad' the port & be able to tolerate the slightest touch any where near there. He gave me a cortisone injection in the area surrounding the port. It helped for a few days until the numbing agent wore off. I'd planned to get another in October 2008, by then my weight was up to 320 & quite frankly I was embarrassed :blushing: to go in since the first shot didn't really help. I moved away from the area in November 2008.

By January 2009 I gained to 333. Needless to say I was very disappointed in myself. :angry: Now I'm unhappy after having pain for 1 1/2 years.

I'm looking for surgeon to remove the whole thing but finding it a difficult process. The one I visited wanted $1,600 for 'out of network' expenses & I paid a non-refundable $500 to have him scare me out of my mind with a potential 'disaster'scare story. I had an egd & there were no leaks or erosion but he wanted the full balance before he'd operate. I wrote a personal check but that wouldn't work for their 'office policy'. I cancelled the surgery because it seemed the primary concern was MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!! :blink: My wellbeing took second place to the $$$ discussion.

To have the lap band surgery initially, my insurance covered EVERYTHING except co-pay. Medicare picked up most of that.

Quite frankly, I was doing better on my own with diet & exercise & in retrospect, I realize that hunger was simply 'fat burning' off my body & a good thing, not something to AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

By exercising my legs in the hot tub, walking & riding the bike 15 to 20 minutes a day, I'm back down to 318.

I hope to find a surgeon nearby that won't be so focussed on the financing. It's not that I don't HAVE the money, it's a matter of principle with me to have my health as a doctor's priority.

I have ZERO fill in my band now! Other than when I have the flu & have to vomit, I have no restriction at all for eating. It's painful to throw up because even with only the band in place there's still a minor restriction.:w00t:

Anyone out there who has lupus & banded? Any recommendations for surgeons in the Las Vegas, NV or Phoenix, AZ area for having it removed?

Edited by Kennedy Conway
date change

My suggestion is to just have the port removed. It's a simple in-office procedure, much cheaper and safer than getting everything removed and then you won't have the port issues. Your band isn't filled so it's not doing anything so why not leave it in for now?

Thanks for the suggestion about removing the port & leaving the unfilled band.

That was not presented to me by the doctor I saw last.

Are there any DOCTOR'S there who know whether or not the port can be removed leaving the port intact?

If that is the case, I feel a glimmer of hope!:thumbdown:

I am not a doctor but here is what I can tell you. My first port became infected and was removed - leaving the band in tact for a month and 1/2 while I healed. After the second port was installed - I experienced some issues and discussed with my doctor leaving the band in place long term without a port. So it is possible. The port removal was a less then 20 min operation, if my insurance hadnt covered it - doc said he would have charged me $1,000. Good luck.

Thank you Dennis for your response. I really appreciate it. It's good to know that it CAN be in place without a port. I'll have to investigate if my insurance will cover it. They were willing to cover the total removal so should be thrilled to remove only part of it because it wouldn't be such an extensive surgery. Good job with your 35# to go. Bravo for you.