Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Weight GAIN 2nd week post op!

Okay, I'm shocked and pretty much devastated when I got on my scale this morning and had gained 2 1/2 pounds. I'm moving beyond mushies into soft foods and am eating about 700 to 1000 calories per day, but am having trouble getting down all the liquid while planning arund the food.

I had been down to 235.5 from a high of 265 at my sugical consult, but today I a back to 238. I know it seems a small amount in the big picture...but I just went through so much to get to this point in my lap band journey, it just pisses me off to see the scale going in the wrong direction!:cool2:

Any words of wisdom from those of you who have been down this road and possibly experienced something similar??

It is probably just Fluid retention. If you took in a lot of sodium the last few days it will happen. Don't let daily fluctuations bother you. Keep plugging away and it will drop off.

I agree with loke. Also you could need a really good POOPl LOL:lol:

You know how weight fluctuates and from what I hear post op is for healing not weight loss. Can't give much words of wisdom when my head play games with the numbers on the scale and last time I gained 2 lbs I was so mad I didn't workout and went and ate very high calorie cookies:blush:--not suggested.

But just heal and chill, you will lose soon when you are better.:cool2:

I dropped 10 pounds from surgery day to now 5 days later. But I am expecting to put all of that back on since it was most likely due to dehydration.

I would expect this to go on for a week or two until I get the routine down for drinking my meals even though I am not feeling too hungry.

I don't mean overeating, I just mean that my stomach is in such a delicate balance right now that when it feels good I don't want to add anything to change that feeling so I don't eat when I need to.

So I agree, do not be discouraged.

-BSG

Between surgery and my first fill, I gained and lost the same 3 pounds three or four times. Right after my first fill, I went on vacation and was happy to not gain or lose. After that, the weight has fallen off consistently. Part of the gain a lot of people experience after surgery is going from liquid to mushy and more solid food. Relax. You're doing fine and it all comes together soon. This time is often called bandster hell .... where you know you could eat a lot of food and try not to because you really do want to lose. Restriction with come in increments as you get a few fills.

you will be ok i gained 3lbs not after two weeks post-op but when i went for my first fill that was during the mushy stage i was eating mashed potatoes the nurse told me they had to many carbs.

Don't worry about it, I have about 2 lbs. that come and go every couple of days. I float between 208 and 210.5. The scale is a mean mean monster. I can weigh and take a bath, when I get out (hour or so) 2 lbs are gone. However, I tried it with a shower and I weighed about .5 lbs more. I have been given the following reasons from a more experienced bandster.

1. Healing time

2. Liquid in liquid out, moving to soild food causes more to just "sit" in our bodies veres the "flow" of a liquid diet. If we do 2 weeks of liquids our systems get flushed.

3. As we do mushies, most tend to go with potatoes and such that are carbs and they are processed differntly than the mostly Protein that we have been cosuming. Most of us do "shakes" made with low fat milk which is processed like the Protein from chicken.

This is what I noticed most, I was loosing OK the first week but as I have healed and the swelling gone down, I can eat more food. So while I am still under the calorie count alllowed, I am getting more than I did the first week.

I think this sounds completely normal. I was down 11.5 8 days post-op....started eating mushies and gained back almost 4....I just keep telling myself this is all part of the process, don't freak out....

This moring those 4 were gone and they took another .5 with them.

You just keep following your doctors schedule and don't worry about the scale, your bodies going to adjust and the scale is gonna catch up.