Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I can't stop vomiting!

Guest gorgeous

Guest gorgeous

I had to band surgery a year ago this Aug 2005. I have had several fills. I have only lost 30 lbs. Within the last 3 months I have had to have some of the saline taken out due to vomiting. The last amount taken out was .4 however, I am still vomiting even in my sleep. I am eating as slow as I can. I did notice when I ate some popcorn recently it cause vomiting. However, when I ate it in the past it didn't bother me or the band. I have had an upper GI and, the band is in place okay. Are there any bandsters out there that can give me some life experience? Please help. P.S. only serious concerned parties please apply.

Hi Gorgeous, and welcome to LBT!

When did you have that upper GI?

And you say you are vomiting in your sleep? Are you sure this isnt GERD/Reflux? Reflux is a very commen side affect in banded patients that may be filled a tad too tight. This is a VERY serious concern.

Are you able to keep liquids down?

If so, I suggest you go on liquids ONLY for -at least- 24 hours, maybe even 2 days. Just to give your esophgus (sp?) a break. Vomiting/pbing is very hard on your stomach. And remember that warm liquids seem to sooth the tummy better then the cold items.

IF you can tolerate this for a day, then try having some soft foods like pudding, creamy Soups. Maybe this will help your system unswell, and you will stop all that horrible vomiting. Not good!!!

And of coarse, one last thing...

does your doctor know what is going on???

good luck and keep us posted!

Call your doctor right away! You are not only putting your band in danger, but you are putting your life in danger. You could asperate (inhale) the vomit and choke to death, or at the very least damage your lungs with acid.

Call you doctor. Call your doctor. Call your doctor.

is it vomit or just the food coughing back up?I mean does it actually go all the way down so you have actual stomach acid coming back up with it or is it like what I do all the time and it never is able to go thru band and its more of a cough up-akin to a cat coughing up a hairball?

You very well may need reflux meds to help with the healing of your throat & espophagus(spelling). You should go back to FULL Liquids for at least three days - while placing a call to your Doctor. This can be taken care of but you need to be patient while you heal-which may take awhile.

Sometimes bandsters can eat things in the begining stages & than years later not be able to eat them anymore. I would stay away from popcorn from now on. Was it the hulless kind?? I was told never to have popcorn unless it was the hulless kind to begin with. I hope your problems begin to heal quickly & your Doctor can help with some meds.

Guest gorgeous

Thanks so much for replying I feel you guys care. I am seeing my doctor today and I will bring up the reflux medication issue. Thanks again I don't feel alone.

Guest gorgeous

My thanks goes out to each and everyone of you who replied. I will take your suggestions and update you later this evening after my doctor's appointment today.

To:Alatina I am vomiting up everything fluids, and food.

I have had an upper GI and, the band is in place okay.

My first thought would be slippage, but you say your band is in place.

Do you vomit everyday after every meal? Will anything stay down?

Vomiting with liquids and food could be a sign of slippage from what I was told by my Dr.

Let us know how it goes today at the doctor

Guest gorgeous

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Everyone was right on point. At my visit today my physician took out all the Fluid from the band, put me on liquid diet for two days and prescribed nexium. I am feeling a little better. The doctor told me to give it at least two days and if things don't improve to call the office. I feel as though I would have been so much farther along if I had started communicating with LapBandtalk in "2004". Oh well we live and learn. I'll be talking to ya soon. Thanks again for everything.