Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the Swelling to go down

The gas pain went away, frankly, in two stages.

The post op anesthesia required dry heaves and anti-nausea meds at the hospital ... the nurse (and my mom) both pretty much said I couldn't get around that. Either I took anti-nausea meds and slept a lot or I got through it and was able to get up and get going. I wanted to go home more than I wanted anti-nausea meds.

Once I got home, the second stage of all the left over gas required walking. That first day, I only walked around the house, then I went outside and gradually, I increased the distance. Don't over do it though!

I had minimal gas, but what I did have was stuborn gas! For about a week it was stuck under my left rib. I am 2 weeks postop now and feel back to normal. A few of my incissions are still a little sore, but the gas has since left.

I had my surgery yesterday morning. I took the anti nausau meds in hospital and slept on and off for a bit longer there. I was okay with it since I didnt have much planned for yesterday anyway :sad:

I had really bad gas pains last night that pretty much stayed in my ribs and upper stomach area. My stomach is still pushed out a bit and I know I still have quite a bit of gas inside. Walking around the house last night helped a lot....Although it did cause me to burp a lot. Today is seems to be coming otu the other end (sorry if thats TMI). I feel SOOO much better today although I still have some pain in the incission area and am still a bit tired. Im hoping the rest of the gas pain goes away quickly, so we'll see.

Good luck with your surgery!

I had my surgery yesterday morning.

I had my surgery on the 8th as well!!!

I am still having gas pains, that do not seem to want to go away. If I lay down the gas starts up, if I sit up the gas stops.

I have not been able to get a good nights sleep since before the surgery. :drool:

Fortunately I work from home, so I can try and take cat naps all day long.

Keep on walking. We went to Busch Gardens yesterday and let me tell you about how awkward I felt burping up a storm there because so much air/gas was coming up. I was just glad to get it out of my system. I feel loads better today although I still feel some pain in my left side shoulder and ribs. I cant lay on that side at night which really bothers me, but I can lay on my right side which has the big incission! Go figure :drool:

I didn't have any problems with gas, but I do still have some swelling around the biggest incision. It has gone down some since last week, but I still have this weird little bump.

hi had band done on the 2nd. had lot of gas left in system took bout 4days for me to get rid of it going at both ends lol.

swelling was about 5days but still got a bit where the port is set in and still tender.

some pple seem to be able to get up and get going like nothing had happened to them at all but all i wanted to do for the first day or two after op was sleep the anistestic hit me for a six.

plus i got very badly dehydrated coz i cudnt make myself drink anything. wasnt till i got home i tried stucking on ice cubes which made me feel better it was soothing.

The nurses out here jus never offered that to me, so if anyone in new zealand is getting this done ask nurses for them it really does help.