Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to NEVER eat again!!

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if I could rely on some of you to help me bump up my weightloss!

I just wanted to know if there are any foods that I shouldnt be eating at all and what I should be eating because at the moment I can eat ANYTHING and ALOT!

I had my op on 4th Dec 2008 and have a 9cc/ml band which is now filled to 4.5cc/ml. I have lost only about 22lb which is a let down! I have NO restriction and since I had my band fitted free by the NHS (National Health Service) and all my fills on the NHS I cant get fills as often as I would like to... only every 8-10 weeks actually.

My next fill is on 24th April so I have a while before I get a bit more restricted so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Hey Nicynoo!

One of the benefits of the band can also be an obstacle. It really allows you to eat most foods in small amounts. If you arn't having any restriction at all...that is a sign you probably need a fill. I think each person tolerates different types of food differently. For example, I can absolutely not eat salad. For what ever reason one or two bites and it comes right back up.

So unfortunately I don't think there is any golden rule on what you should eat. I will say though sugar would be on the do not eat list! Processed Cookies and cakes will go down like you've never had surgery at all! So naturally eating those things will be counter productive in your weight loss. If have a sweet tooth, I would suggest setting aside one day a week or every other week that you can have a treat. Have a cookie or a bowl of ice cream, guilt free!

Anyway, I hope this helped...Good luck!

Oh I would also advise you to drink lots of water! I know we hear that a lot, but you will be suprised how quickly you lose weight if you stay hydrated!

Hi,

Yes there are definite "no, nos." I am surprised that

you haven't been given guidelines, unless the fact

is that yours was through a "public health agency."

You don't know either Bryan Betts or Pete James

do you? Saw the London location - yeah like 9M

people.

No carbonated beveages, no doughy type breads,

pastries, etc. Steak and pork chops are hard to

digest. Basically eliminate sweets that are no

low cal., artifical sweetner types. Is this forever?

I don't know myself, but for the first six months

definitely and in moderation for the rest of our

lives.

I had gotten to 435.5lbs. (I have lost and gained

enough weight over the years for 6-7 people,

like the addispose eposide on Dr. Who). On

the pre-op low card I dropped to 396. My

surgery was February 27. I am down to 366.4

now.

I have not missed somethings like I thought i

would but the other night my wife was drinking

a Pepsi-cola and I really wanted one (didn't).

Be a little stricter on yourself and stick with it.

Best wishes.

First, go see a nutritionist. I can tell you what my surgeon said and what my nutritionist said. Start with Protein. These are the things that will fill you. Avoid empty calories and things that go through the band too easily. Alcoholic beverages, mashed potatoes, shakes, cereals with a lot of sugar, nuts, milk. Normally, nuts and milk are considered healthy. But for the band, you don't get much "bang for the buck." They have minimal nutritional value compared to the fat and calories and won't fill you up at all. When I'm getting ready to eat (other than the last 2 weeks when I've been really bad), I consider the nutritional value (especially protein) and how it will go through the band. Is it going to get stuck or just go through? If it is going to stay in the upper pouch and not pass through, then that's what I choose. If it will go right through and has empty calories, I don't eat it. I'm not perfect. I still say what the heck and eat things I shouldn't, especially the Starbuck (you'd be amazed how many calories are even in the sugar free). But I'm so much better than I was.