Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carbers count calories???

I was just thinking about doing low carb for probalby the 10th time. I am hoping being banded is going to help me stay with it. Do you low carbers count calories as well, do you try and stay within the 800-1200 range we should be staying with? Thanks for the help!

I sort of count calories.

I do what I can to get in my Protein and I do what I can to keep my carbs low and that keeps the calories in range automatically.

I started out at 450 a day when I was on liquids the first two weeks and I gradually upped that to where I am now which is around 1000-1200 a day.

Same idea for me. I try to stay in the 1200 calorie range, but I also try to get about the same amount of Protein as carbs. If I stay in balance, I don't seem to get as hungry.

If I eat 80gr of Protein, I hope I'm at around 80gr or less of carbs. I am working out a lot right now and I'm a guy, so I need as much as possible up to around 100gr.

Some people are true low carbers and stay down around 25-30. I just can't do it.

I did Atkins before the band, but my Portion Control was totally out of wack, so it worked but not as well as the two together.

I was banded on 3/24/09 and my doctor wants to stay away from carbs,(pasta, bread, Pasta, potatoes) which is really difficult. I am eating a slim fast drink and fruit for Breakfast, for lunch I have 4 oz Protein 4oz of vegetables. dinner is the hardest. I love my carbs especially at dinner. I am not counting calories just making sure I don't eat more than 6 to 8 oz at each meal. How do you fight the cravings?

At the end of the day, no matter what sort of diet you follow, its the calories that matter. I never needed to go that low, so I didnt find it necessary to truly count, but I always eat with a mind on calories - for example, most low carb foods (part from vegies) are quite calorie dense - things like meat, cheese, dairy. So I tend to fill up more on carb foods like wholegrains - becuase the air and fibre in them means I eat way less calories overall.

But there's no magic in that, whether you low carb it or not at the end of the day, its just calories.

If I eat the recommended Protein ( for example 2 - 3 oz meat/poultry/seafood or an egg per meal) with veggies, berries, or whatever else there's room for, I don't have to count the calories. The portions are small enough due to having the band to keep the calorie count down. If I don't eat the recommended protein I will be hungry in a couple of hours and can easily over eat on calories because the more easily digested foods don't hang around long. Potatoes, candy, real milk shakes, you can do some real damage with that stuff. meat and eggs? 80 - 150 calories (along with low carb veggies, because I love them; that's why) keeps me satisfied for about 4 hours. That's my experience. Everyone is different of course.

I'm barely out of the starting gate, so I am counting calories--primarily because I just want to get a handle on what works for me, and what it provides in terms of energy (calories). I'm already seeing that when I stick with the eating guidelines, I easily stay well within the calorie parameters I am aiming for, so I don't anticipate a long-term need to journal, except inasmuch as it helps me pinpoint problems when I stall.

Hi I have seen your posts a number of times and thought you could help. I was banded on May 1st 2009. 300/lbs. First few months droped 25/lbs. joined gym etc. Now I am down 50/lbs which does not seem like a lot compaired to others. Since Sept have been going to gym 3 day a week in weight loss / nutrion program. Since Oct I have lost lost about 15/lbs. My weight seems to have stalled around 255 or up and down a lb or two a day. the Nutrionist has me on a 1500 cal about 40% Carbs, 50 Protien etc. She keep telling me that we are working on fixing my matabolism. But I am getting frustrated. Hunger is not really an issue, I still have pb issues especially early in the day. I am thinking of going very low carb. Was looking on the Lapband Journey site and when you ask for nutrion help you go to this site and they seem to push very low carb, like akins.

Would appricate your thoughts. I FEEL GREAT! But want to get this weight off. I am now working out 5 times a week and burn 300 to 500 cal per workout. Would think i would have made more progress.

Hi I have seen your posts a number of times and thought you could help. I was banded on May 1st 2009. 300/lbs. First few months droped 25/lbs. joined gym etc. Now I am down 50/lbs which does not seem like a lot compaired to others. Since Sept have been going to gym 3 day a week in weight loss / nutrion program. Since Oct I have lost lost about 15/lbs. My weight seems to have stalled around 255 or up and down a lb or two a day. the Nutrionist has me on a 1500 cal about 40% Carbs, 50 Protien etc. She keep telling me that we are working on fixing my matabolism. But I am getting frustrated. Hunger is not really an issue, I still have pb issues especially early in the day. I am thinking of going very low carb. Was looking on the LAP-BAND® Journey site and when you ask for nutrion help you go to this site and they seem to push very low carb, like akins.

Would appricate your thoughts. I FEEL GREAT! But want to get this weight off. I am now working out 5 times a week and burn 300 to 500 cal per workout. Would think i would have made more progress.

It depends on the individual. Some don't...some have to. As a general rule, you can eat a bit more calories on a low carb (under 60gm/day) diet than you can on the more traditional higher carb diet.

There was a time when I didn't have to count calories on low carb and I know I was eating close to 3000 calories a day during which time I lost 70 pounds in 3 months.

I'm older now, diabetic and insulin resistant. No way can I eat that level of calories and expect to lose, so yes I do count. Although I will say that where I struggled to stay on 1200 calories eating less than 30gm carbs per day, once I quit eating grains, fruit, dairy and starchy vegetables, my calories dropped to 900 just because that's all I need. No more hunger or cravings.

I sort of count calories.

I do what I can to get in my Protein and I do what I can to keep my carbs low and that keeps the calories in range automatically.

I started out at 450 a day when I was on liquids the first two weeks and I gradually upped that to where I am now which is around 1000-1200 a day.

Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss! Would you consider posting what an average low carb 1000-1200 calorie day looks like in the way of a meal plan? If not, would you consider emailing me? Thank you so much in advance.

p.s. and if you do post or email, could you include weights, portions. Thanks again.

:)