Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't Qualify-- Need to gain 5 pounds

Lan, Wow! For your sake, I really hope not! Cali

Hey xavier I'm getting banded on May 4th I see your right behind me. Good Luck!!!

NayNay, I'll be thinking of you on Monday!!! Good Luck! Looks like we are in a similar boat in terms of weight to lose and age range...I really just cant wait. I think I'm doing great on the preop but I am a little dreading the liquds only for two weeks post op...oh well, part of the process! Cali

NayNay, I'll be thinking of you on Monday!!! Good Luck! Looks like we are in a similar boat in terms of weight to lose and age range...I really just cant wait. I think I'm doing great on the preop but I am a little dreading the liquds only for two weeks post op...oh well, part of the process! Cali

Thanks Cali~ We would be exactly the same weight if I hadn't gained during my 6mos diet, I don't know what I was thinking but now I'm mad at myself. BTW I'm 5'5" and I turned 48 yesterday. Hoping I'll be skinny by the time I turn 50!LOL

I sure hope we have great success, I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday!!!!!

That is so wild. I really feel for you. I may be facing the same thing. I'm 5 feet 3 and weigh 190 and to me it's been a huge issue for my whole life. But that may not be enough for the insurance companies.

How does one calculate the body fat ratio?

Well, I say do it. Enjoy the crappy food if you can. It's wierd, as easy as it is to gain weight, when one HAS to do it, it is difficult. Especially when one basically prefers healthy food. I bet some Protein shakes might buff you up a bit.

Good luck.

Mine just had a regular scale--albeit one that measures you down to the last ounce!

But then I saw the nutritionist and she had the other kind. But I had a TENS unit on my foot and the electrodes interfered so she couldn't get a reading.

"My surgeon and PCP just had regular scales..."

You were fortunate then! I actually weighed in today (a surgeon for Lap Band), with an additional 5lbs under my clothes :laugh: but I realized later that it was one of those scales that you stand on barefoot because the skin contact enables it to breakdown your entire body composition. I wonder if the scale didn't register that bogus 5 lbs and if it did it would not measure as body fat or Water or muscle or would it? Anyone got this figured out? :ohmy: My next appointment is Friday, with a perspective surgeon who is willing to do the Sleeve on me if I qualify! :laugh: Oh God this may indeed mean I will have to actually gain about 7 more lbs damnit!:thumbup:

I had the same problem that you are having except I had to Gain 15 pounds to put my bmi at 40 so what did i do.i went to Walmart got me some 15 pounds weight and put on extra clothes put the weights in my pocket and bra. and it put me right at 40 and i was banded on the 21th of this month.

I had the same problem that you are having except I had to Gain 15 pounds to put my bmi at 40 so what did i do.i went to Walmart got me some 15 pounds weight and put on extra clothes put the weights in my pocket and bra. and it put me right at 40 and i was banded on the 21th of this month.

That is GREAT:thumbup:, congratulations!

I too bought weights to conceal under clothing for my weigh in with a prospective Gastric Sleeve surgeon, tomorrow. My question is however, if the scale I am weighed on is one of those scales that measusre your body mass breakdown in fat wt., Water wt. and muscle wt., will the concealed additional lbs. I have under my clothing even count since they are none of the above, (fat,water,muscle)?

I met with the surgeon today for the first time and he weighed me and recorded my weight. I am wondering if I will be weighed again by him at a future date or will this weight be the weight used to submit to insurance co. once he gets all test results in. Anyone know?

I met with the surgeon today for the first time and he weighed me and recorded my weight. I am wondering if I will be weighed again by him at a future date or will this weight be the weight used to submit to insurance co. once he gets all test results in. Anyone know?

It is all going to depend on your dr's office. I had my official weigh in on Monday and was 237-- big meal, lots of Water, heavy jeans and sweatshirt and a few heavy items that I just *forgot* to take out of my pockets.:wink: I saw the Dr today and they weighed me:eek: I hadn't eaten Breakfast, was wearing a lightweight skirt and had no pockets! Gee, look-- I have lost 7 pounds since Monday!:)

I was really worried that someone might say something but no one batted any eyelash. The dr. only looked at the official starting weight and BMI that was recorded.

But every office is different. I would just call them and ask. Tell them you really want to start working on better eating habits and starting a low calorie diet, exercise blah, blah, blah and wonder if there will be a problem with qualifying if you lose any of your weight/BMI.

Is there any possibility that your doctor will adjust your records to show the 100 pounds without actually requiring you to gain the 5 pounds? Do they support the surgery? I like the previous ideas about wearing the weights from Walmart or putting something heavy in your pockets.

Unfortunately I gained all of my weight the old-fashioned way and my doctors were more than happy to recommend me for the surgery.

Good luck!

It is all going to depend on your dr's office. I had my official weigh in on Monday and was 237-- big meal, lots of Water, heavy jeans and sweatshirt and a few heavy items that I just *forgot* to take out of my pockets.:w00t: I saw the Dr today and they weighed me:eek: I hadn't eaten Breakfast, was wearing a lightweight skirt and had no pockets! Gee, look-- I have lost 7 pounds since Monday!:wink:

I was really worried that someone might say something but no one batted any eyelash. The dr. only looked at the official starting weight and BMI that was recorded.

But every office is different. I would just call them and ask. Tell them you really want to start working on better eating habits and starting a low calorie diet, exercise blah, blah, blah and wonder if there will be a problem with qualifying if you lose any of your weight/BMI.

WDW Luver, You've given me an additional tool.:)

I so appreciate your feedback with this~:wink: Thank you.

I was at my heaviest today whilst sitting across from the doctor today (my mother at my side) in his office. With outer clothing layered and loose, boobs and hips were unusually large and heavy. The discussion lasted over an hour (which was great) but I began to think I would not be examined or weighed after all. And then he brought me to the exam room to be weighed and examined...Right after I stepped off the scale, I had to go potty, and UNLOAD! I returned for the rest of the exam. So far so good. But this is only the first step....now I've got a load of tasks to accomplish and then we've got a fight ahead of us in order for me to be approved for the sleeve. God how I pray for a miracle. :rolleyes:

WOW, there so many going thru such a battle to get some insurance help. Like being in this state isnt hard enough! I ended up being private pay. Luckly I have for the Best Doctor in the world! He is sooo affordable!

Insurance companies are hard.

I was having trouble Getting my surgery and financing also. But I found an awesome Dr. and my lapband only cost 5500. my surgery date is 5/19/09. Email me if you need and awesome Dr. for pivate pay. experiance.success.leah@gmail.com

we soon to be bandsters have to stick together!