Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Is The Hardest Desecion I've Ever Made

Hello All,

I'm new here and feeling over-whelmed by all the information out there on WLS. I am just in the begining stages of my research, but at 440 pounds and almost 38 years old, if I "wanna_be_a_momma", I'm gonna have to giddy up. So, how long did it take to make your mind up about having WLS and which one to have?

Thanks in advance,

Kiki

Wow that's discouraging now isn't it? I decided on the band because of the fact it carries less risks, its more likely to be a long term solution and a way short recovery time. I made up my mind pretty quick actually. I hope you still try to pursue some sort of surgery, maybe it's something you can write an appeal to your insurance or can you maybe pay out of pocket. A lot of folks on here have paid out of pocket for theirs and also a lot have gone to Mexico. I hope you find some positive answers.

I am going to be praying for you, I too am very overweight and I would love to be a mama someday soon, I am 34 years old. If you need to talk to someone or vent, you can always message me. Please try to appeal your insurance company, let me know how your doing.

Can you get a loan or remorgage? People spend more money on a USED car for goodness sakes. That is the way I look at it. My insurance wont pay either and my life is worth more than money so Im paying. I have about the same amount to lose too and Im sick of feeling like this anymore. I hope everything works out for you

I am one of those people who refused to take 'no' for an answer. I had two insurances and they both turned me down. I decided that I had to do this for my life, my future, and my health. I decided to have my surgery done in Mexico. It was $7,500 compared to the almost $20,000 here in the states. At that point, I started looking into small loans and kept getting rejected. My husband and I pay for most items with cash so very little credit. I finally had to get an advance from my mom's credit card.

I told you all of this to say, if you want this bad enough, there are other ways to get it done. Good luck to you.

I was very fortunate that our insurance covered my surgery but it too 5 years to get my husbands support. I had lost 50 lbs on WW and and then gained back 60. I have a bad knee and knew that the only thing I was going to do was continue to gain. I made the appt and got things in motion. My surgery was 9/29/08. I have lost 65 lbs. Nothing radical and hardly noticable but down none the less. It is the best decision I ever made.

I hope you are able to find the right solution for you to our weight issues.

Best of Luck!

Hi Wanna_be_a_momma! I am in a similar boat as you are. I always said "I would never get wieght loss surgery" but after trying everything and being 420-440lbs for 5 years now, I feel like I have no other choice if I ever want to have children... I am really haveing a hard time making this dicision, Im not sure why... I guess its because I am having a hard time saying that I need help and cant do this by myself... My husband does not like the idea but will support me if I decide to do it. My insuranse wont cover it because I have no weight related health issues... which I think is rediculous, I weigh over 400lbs! I am going to have health issues soon if I dont do anything about it! Anyway, I have decided to go to Mexico and get it done. I have heard great things about Dr. Kuri so thats where Im going.:thumbdown: