Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!

I am wondering if anyone is out there that has had what happened to me happen to them. I went to the Doctor today and he does more of the full bypass surgerys then lap band. Infact its like 600 full bypass to about 20 lapband. Any way I have research this for over a year and I believe the full bypass is not for me.. I have decided to the Doctor to see about lapband.. I come out more depressed then when I went in. He told me basically he didnt think the lapband would work for me because I have alot of belly fat. and to feel and fill the port would be much work for him! because it would be harder for him to find. So advice are there people that need to lose 150 pounds that have belly fat that have had it done?

I feel like just because he specializes in full bypass that he just doesnt like to do lap bands and hes not as knowledge able. I plan to go to another place that only does lapbands but if anyone has advice please reply...:thumbup:

well I can't give you statistics but I can tell you that I have read many sucess stories on this board of lap banders that have lost well over 150. There is even a group on this board with a bmi of 60 and over. I have a lot to lose and I was not having bypass and my doctor had no problems with my choice. Bypass was just not for me. My thoughts is that lapband is just a tool so with my ambition and motivation and the lapband together I can achieve my goal!

Good luck!

If you are determined that the Lapband is for you, run from this doctor you speak of that is inexperienced in placing the Lapband. Find a doctor that is experienced and that can answer all of your questions. Good luck.

I think you should definitely see another doctor. Bypass is much faster for weight loss, but after about 18 months they bypass is not as effective a tool for them, and inability to get enough nutrition is a big problem. With the band, it will always be a tool. You always have the option for fill or unfill. It can take some time to get used to and some time to get restriction and good weight loss, but I feel it is worth it. Don't get discouraged. It is worth it in the end. Good luck to you on your journey.

Thank you for the reply... I think the doc I went to is wack. but I have went to another one to and he said I should have the big one to... and for me NO WAY... Maybe its just cause this is because for them they do more of the full bypass.. So does anyone have any advie on a Doctor in Des Moines Iowa? I am going to go the weight loss surgical center and check them out since that is all they do is lapbands! Please if anyone has any advice please let me know..

Oh and my BMI is in the low 50's so if people in 60 BMI are getting done why cant I?:thumbup:

Hi:

If you go to the lapband website you will find a list of doctors in your area that do lapband. I suggest that you find one that has a free support group too. Like me, you've got alot of weight to lose, and all of the support you can get at support group helps alot.

Best wishes to you.

I love my band!

Sue

Thank you for the reply... I think the doc I went to is wack. but I have went to another one to and he said I should have the big one to... and for me NO WAY... Maybe its just cause this is because for them they do more of the full bypass.. So does anyone have any advie on a Doctor in Des Moines Iowa? I am going to go the weight loss surgical center and check them out since that is all they do is lapbands! Please if anyone has any advice please let me know..

Oh and my BMI is in the low 50's so if people in 60 BMI are getting done why cant I?:thumbup:

How did you find these Dr's recommendation, referral.....?

Have you talked to your primary Dr. about this ask him or her if they have a recommendation. That's how I found my surgeon didn't even think of him but he's the only one my DR. sends people to and he's great I know Firday he will do a good job.

I use the weight loss surgical center in Des Moines. I love the staff, and I have had good success. I am still just a relative newbie though.

PM me if you have any other questions.

They do all fills under fluoro, so they can see exactly where the port is relative to the needle.

Most of the facilities in the Des Moines area push for the full gastric bypass. Just a fact.

Finding the port is only a problem for someone who doesn't use a flouroscope to do the fill.

If you want the lapband then you should definitely go over and check them out.

The actual surgery would be done in Kansas City, while all of the aftercare is done in any of the 5 locations they have for aftercare.

I am wondering if anyone is out there that has had what happened to me happen to them. I went to the Doctor today and he does more of the full bypass surgerys then lap band. Infact its like 600 full bypass to about 20 lapband. Any way I have research this for over a year and I believe the full bypass is not for me.. I have decided to the Doctor to see about lapband.. I come out more depressed then when I went in. He told me basically he didnt think the lapband would work for me because I have alot of belly fat. and to feel and fill the port would be much work for him! because it would be harder for him to find. So advice are there people that need to lose 150 pounds that have belly fat that have had it done?

I feel like just because he specializes in full bypass that he just doesnt like to do lap bands and hes not as knowledge able. I plan to go to another place that only does lapbands but if anyone has advice please reply...:thumbup:

I was 327 when I had surgery. Some docs try to push the gastric bypass, but my doc told me the pros and cons of each. He had no reservations about the band for me except that you can cheat the band and you have to work at it. I still chose the band and love it!

Good luck. Keep going to until you feel a doc you feel comfortable with.

I agree with DMomB...see another doctor! Just because your doctor would rather do a bypass doesn't make it the right choice for you. Don't know where you are, but hopefully you have access to someone who specializes in lap bands. I need to lose a total of 134. Almost all my weight is between my shoulders and hips .... no fat legs or fat arms. I've already lost 43 pounds and I've had 2 fills and the physician's assistant who did my fills had no problem whatsoever getting the needle into my port...first time both times and no pain at all. Stick to your guns and shop for a new doc. Good Luck@!!

I feel like just because he specializes in full bypass that he just doesnt like to do lap bands and hes not as knowledge able. I plan to go to another place that only does lapbands but if anyone has advice please reply...:)

go see a lapband only surgeon with lots of expirience.... ignore this guy he doesnt know what he is atalking about and seems t like to take the easy way out!!:thumbup:

Happiness1, Do go see the other surgeons! this Doctor is only concerned about his convenience, not you. I had to lose 190 # when I started . The doctor and I preferred the lap band, even when I developed health problems while waiting. Lapband statitistics show Fewer complications, with surgery and long term, than with the bypass. There are some here who had bypass and it was right for them; but if you don't want it, don't do it. BTW, there are surgeons in Omaha and Lincoln Ne who do lapband surgery- if you have to travel. I'll bet there is a Center of Excellence hospital for bariatric surgery in Des Moines, too.

Your doctor sounds like mine...he does both surgerie but definately prefers the bypass, especially for people who have over 100lbs to loose. I asked him why, and he said that he thinks that the Bypass is almost foolproof...for loosing weight, however with the Lapband, you have to rely on the patient to follow the rules, and work hard at it. That was his personal opinion, and when he saw that I was decided to go the Lapband route, he was okay with it. But when I'm in the waiting room waiting for a fill, I see all these patients go in not sure about which procedure they should get, and they always come out decided on the bypass! I knew what I wanted before I even contacted him. In north america, doctors still belive in the myth that the patients loose more on the bypass than with a Lapband...which we all know is false...recent statistics have proven that the Lapband patients catch up with the bypass patients...we just get there slower.

even though my surgeon had this attitude, I decided to go with him anyways, because he is the best Lapband surgeon in my area...which is what mattered most to me. But here in Quebec, we don't have alot or surgeons that do the Lapband anyways.

good luck!

I feel like just because he specializes in full bypass that he just doesnt like to do lap bands and hes not as knowledge able. I plan to go to another place that only does lapbands but if anyone has advice please reply...:smile2:

I wouldn't dream of going to a surgeon with less than 250 bands. I'd find another surgeon on that fact alone.

Find someone that does all the procedures, bands, sleeve, and bypass. That way you have someone who isn't pushing their pet surgery on you. They can sit down with you and go over your eating habits and behaviors and see which procedure is best for you. If they only do bands or bypass then they are not going to offer you ALL your options.

As for not being able to find your port he can if he uses fluoro. Lots of people have a big belly, people are usually an apple shape (stomach) or pear shaped (small waist with large hips/legs).