Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquids in; liquids out

Hi everyone,

I am 5 days post op and on the thick liquid diet. I have IBS and usually too much liquid in my diet causes dirarrhea. Sure enough, that is what is happening. On Sunday, I transition to blended diet. Is it okay to start incorporating more solid foods now? My plan was to keep it minimal and not overeat.

My other problem is an elevated heart rate that also came on today. I feel like I'm on speed. I don't drink caffeine, but feel like I'm jazzed up on it. I did my first work out today and the fitness guy noticed it, but didn't seem all that concern. One other time I felt this way related to diet, was when I did a low-carb diet and about 6 days into it, I had very similar sensations.

Anyone else had these similar situations? What'ya do?

NO!!! Don't eat ahead of your post op diet. I'm sure it's not pleasant...NO ONE likes it! I don't have IBS but I too had diarrhea for the first week.

DIscuss your heart issues with your surgeon.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Wow we have very similar problems! I was banded on Monday and I can't stay out of the bathroom because I have IBS. It is so bad I'm afraid to go to sleep. I also have a rapid heart beat at times and would feel manic, dizzy, and light headed so my doctor put me on a beta blocker so I am not having any problems with that right now. My gastro doctor gave me a new prescription that comes is a powder to be mixed with food or liquids so as soon as I am consuming more liquids I am going to start taking that. I am still on liquids so I can only hope things get better.

You may want to have an EKG done or wear the holter monitor over the weekend to let them diagnose your heart problem. I had to have alot of heart tests done for cardiac clearance before they would perform my surgery. The only time I have any problems is when i forget to take my medication. As far as the IBS I hope this new medication works when i can eat food. I was told to drink alot of Water to check the diarrhea. LOL!

Hi Guys!

I have not had surgery yet (hopefully May), but I did go through an issue with an issue with heart palpitations a few years ago. I don't know if it's at all relevant, but after EKG's and a heart monitor and lots of blood tests, they decide it was just anxiety attacks. I had never had them before, but it was basically from cumulative stress that had been building up at the time. Is it possible that all the post surgery stress may be building up with IBS problems and contributing to the heart issues?

Good Luck!!

My first thought was anxiety also. Especially when you said it was your first workout. That would cause anxiety every time to me! LOL When you start feeling a tightness in your chest, cant breath, and your heart rate is going crazy, remember to BREATH and think of your HAPPY PLACE! LOL Basically breath and calm down, think of things that are not stressful. Things like...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;

Brown paper packages tied up with strings;

These are a few of my favorite things.

Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels;

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles;

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings;

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes;

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;

Silver-white winters that melt into springs;

When the dog bites,

When the bee stings,

When I'm feeling sad,

I simply remember my favorite things,

And then I don't feel so bad.

LOL!! Hope that helps ALL!! :scared2:

I've not been diagnosed with IBS but I've been taking an imodium every day for over a year for that same problem, I told my surgeon and he was okay with me continuing that

Thanks for all your responses. Sometimes it's just good to come here and let it all out. I did take an Immodium and the elevated heart rate is gone also. Because it was Friday evening, I didn't call my doc. I'm almost certain it has something to do with not getting enough of "something" in my diet. I'm trying to stick with mostly liquids and adding very small amounts of blended. I think it will be okay and I need to listen to my body. Thanks for being there.

Yeah, it's nice to know "I am not a freak after all!"