Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Out, Sleeve In! It's done.

there is a great tasting chocolate shake with 30 grams of Protein and 1gram of sugar and 160 calories. It is from Premier foods and sold at costco and online. Only comes in chocolate and single paper containers but I like it

Ruthi

Thank you, Ruth. I have a Costco not too far from me and I'm always willing to try something new. Chocolate is my favorite flavor so I'll look for it and give it a try.

For dinner tonight, I diluted 4 oz of part skim ricotta cheese with a little skim milk to make it a cream Soup consistency. I could only eat 3/4 of it because I felt full. It dawned on me that this is the first time I have experienced a feeling of "natural" fullness since being banded over 3 years ago. The only thing I felt with the band was heart burn and acid reflux. It's strange getting that natural feeling back and wonderful that it's happening after a small amount of food intake.

My partial gastrectomy was just done on the upper part or the anterior fundus of the stomach. That was the only part that was necrotic. The reason they just didnt go ahead and do a gastric sleeve is that it probably wasnt covered under the op permit, it was to correct the problem which they werent sure of when they started the surgery. Also the emergency surgery was done at a VA hospital (free for me as I am a Veteran) and it would have been considered an elective surgery which isnt done on the governments dime.

Ruthi

My partial gastrectomy was just done on the upper part or the anterior fundus of the stomach. That was the only part that was necrotic. The reason they just didnt go ahead and do a gastric sleeve is that it probably wasnt covered under the op permit, it was to correct the problem which they werent sure of when they started the surgery. Also the emergency surgery was done at a VA hospital (free for me as I am a Veteran) and it would have been considered an elective surgery which isnt done on the governments dime.

Ruthi

Sounds complicated! Insurance matters usually are.

I hope it all works out for you. Without a fundus, you should also have the "no ghrelin" thing, right?

Ruthi

Are you recovered from the surgery? Was the necrosis due to ulceration? I hope all is well now and that you're feeling better.

Today, I was able to advance my diet from full fluids to soft. My body is craving real food and I decided on tuna fish salad for lunch. Knowing I get full fast, I opted for coffee only for Breakfast.< /span>

I was able to enjoy 1/3 cup of tuna salad with no bread or lettuce. I have not been getting in the needed daily Protein so I wanted to maximize the good calories and did not feel ready to try soft bread. I ate slowly and enjoyed lunch and the amount filled me up.

With a lot more opportunities for adequate protein intake on a soft diet, I am VERY glad to be done with the full Fluid phase. As per post-op instructions, I will not advance to solids until 30 days out from surgery... May 2.

Elisabeth: I'm supposing that your doc gave you a list of "soft foods?" I'm wondering how tuna salad is soft? Did you blend it? Is it because it is juicy? Just wondering, diet seems a little different than the band. Thanks.

Elisabeth: I'm supposing that your doc gave you a list of "soft foods?" I'm wondering how tuna salad is soft? Did you blend it? Is it because it is juicy? Just wondering, diet seems a little different than the band. Thanks.

You can have anything that is not a solid food. Dry chicken is a solid but chicken salad is soft. Toast and Bagels are not allowed but soft bread is. Soft fishes are allowed but lobster and shrimp are not. A meatball, the inside of a baked potato, mashed potatoes, textured Soups, soft cheeses, oatmeal, etc. are all part of a soft diet.

For dinner last night, I made some mashed potatoes and a piece of talapia that was about 3" x 3". I took one teaspoon of the potatoes and then went to the talapia. I slowly ate the talapia over about 30 minutes but could not eat more of the potatoes. Protein first is definitely the rule and my body is craving it.

I've been warned that you have to be careful on a soft diet not to take in too many calories. Soft calories can add up. I've finally gotten myself rehydrated so I have to make sure I stay that way and keep drinking. So far, the full feeling definitely keeps me from eating too much.

My friend who is getting the sleeve soon sent me some info she got from Dr. Aceves office. I was surprised to read you can move to Protein Shakes on day 5 as long as they are made with Water and not milk. I always make mine with water. Now I am not as worried about the clear stage.

I am glad I am used to eating like a bandster so it won't be that big of a shock to me.

I am glad to read you got your talapia. I love that fish too. Yay for the soft stage! Do you like cottage cheese? I used to hate it until my daughter told me to mix it with yogurt. It's good that way, and would be considered soft.

My friend who is getting the sleeve soon sent me some info she got from Dr. Aceves office. I was surprised to read you can move to Protein Shakes on day 5 as long as they are made with Water and not milk. I always make mine with water. Now I am not as worried about the clear stage.

I am glad I am used to eating like a bandster so it won't be that big of a shock to me.

I am glad to read you got your talapia. I love that fish too. Yay for the soft stage! Do you like cottage cheese? I used to hate it until my daughter told me to mix it with yogurt. It's good that way, and would be considered soft.

Is that the person you told me about? When is she getting her sleeve?

I was very dehydrated from the long plane trip and working the night before I traveled. My IV blew less than 24 hours post-op and that did not help the dehydration. After I was home for 2 days, I stood up and passed out. I emailed the post-op coordinator and, because I was getting no Protein in (can't do the protein drinks), I got the OK to use Soy Slender drinks. That got me through the Clear Liquids and full fluids and it's often my breakfast now.

I don't like cottage cheese or yogurt but I do love the ricotta cheese. Bumble Bee makes a little tuna salad packet. It's less than 100 calories for the canned salad and 8 g of protein. I tossed the crackers and just ate the tuna salad for lunch today... not bad as far as prepared foods go.

I prepared some homemade lasagna tonight and cut a piece that was about 4" square to have for dinner. It was about 2" high and I was only able to eat about 2/3 of the portion. I am learning to listen to my body telling me I am full.

Since I never had restriction with the band, this is a whole new learning curve for me. Taking "one more bite" would have resulted in an over stuffed and uncomfortable feeling. My "normal" way of eating would have been to consume a piece double the sizee I cut and go back for more. It's new, but nice, to "feel" full after a reasonable amount of food intake.

Hello everyone,

I am excited, nervous and in a way, down right scared, but my sleeve is being done on Friday the 1st with Dr Aceves. I cant believe its really going to happen, I had to pay for a revision and it really tapped my resources but I really believe that I am worth it. Thank God for this site and for all of you. I am loving life because of you.

Ruthi