Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oldie but Newbie~~ Trying to get back on the BAND wagon!!

I was banded in 2006, but wasn't ready for it. I had A LOT more issues with emotional eating than I realized. I could NOT give up food and found myself blending up Ravioli and Hot Dogs the week after surgery. Needless to say, I didn't loose any weight, but didn't gain any either. I found plenty of ways to CHEAT my band and would drink after eating and if food were to get "stuck" (feeling of pain in my chest), would force a PB intentionally to get the food back up. I got pregnant in April 2007 and was so sick, I had all the saliine drained from my band and have been packing on weight ever since. I'm now 30 pound heavier than when I got banded.

With that said, I am BEGGING for any advise on how to get over my attachment to food. I had 2cc's of saline put in today and am on liquids for the next 3 days. I FEAR that I may fall into the same bad habits this time with my band and really want some advise on what worked for you guys... how did you get over the mental part of this? Any advise is greatly appreciated... and I look forward to getting back on the BAND wagon with you guys!!

~Meg~

Congrats on your pregnancy, I love food as well but it's something I know I have to give up, I'm only 21 and have more health problems than my grandparents (which is saying something) If I don't loose the weight more stuff is just going to happen and it's going to be horrible for me in the long run. Maybe you could consider talking to a physciatrist (sp?) it would definitely help in your situation, I know alot of people that get banded aren't ready to give up certain things but it's either give those up or suffer through a life that is plagued with medical conditions or just overall unhappiness. (p.s - I love ravioli but I don't know if I'd ever blend it lol)

Going into the surgery originally, I didn't forsee any of these attachments to food, but it quickly turned into a major issue. Being a psychotherapist, I like to think that I can solve my eating issues own my own, but obviously I need help with it! I'm on my second day of liquids and so far so good, but the mental cravings for food are tough. Be prepared for that when you get banded!

I just wanted to respond, because I feel like I can totally relate to you. I had surgery January 06, and lost some weight, but still never could get control of what I could not eat. I was 296 and got down to 232. Then I got pregnant in December 06 and gained weight, it has now take me 20 months, she is that old, to get back down to 235. Every week I go between 237 to 234. I am going to TRY and eat only 1200 cals a day and TRY to exercise. I just got a fill on Monday so I am hoping that it helps. I have an obsession with food, usually when I am reading these boards and other peoples success stories, thinking "I can do this" I am eating chips or candy. I am such an idiot!

Wow Netty- yes I can SO relate to you (except the part about actually LOOSING weight)! I wish you the best of luck- lets keep in touch and try to encourage each other!

That would be great, I got back on here to see if it would encourage me to get back on the "band" wagon. I need someone I can relate to. My husband just does not understand, he is overweight too, but does not seem to care and wants to eat anything. It is not easy to stay away from certain foods with the husband and kids always wanting crap. I constantly say we all need to change, but we always go back to our old ways. I have done so many diets since being banded, I finally think I need to just try and stick to the band rules and see if that helps. I go to the doctor again in 6 weeks, I have not been very pro-active about getting fills, I always think I can do this without restriction, stupid!!! I think if I do not lose much she is going to do an upper GI, she said she gave me a "generous" amount, I was at 3.2 in 4cc band last time so now I do not know what I am at, she said she does not want me fixating on the amount. I went 3 months ago for a fill and lost 4lbs as of monday when I got this fill. I never seem satisfied, I ALWAYS want to eat. Anyway, I am rambling on, it is just nice to find someone to talk to, that may understand.

Ahh, Netty my husband is the same way. He'll get on a health kick, loose 30 pounds in 2 months and then eat a bunch of pizza or whatever other junk he feels like eating. He tries to be supportive, but for example I came home last night and there was a box of Krispy Kreme sitting there. They were a fundraiser box, so I know he bought it for a good cause (supposedly) but still I ate 1/2 a donut. Had it not been there, I wouldn't have been fixated on eating it!! I feel your pain!! I too am just trying to do what the lap band system says and go from there... best of luck!