Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can anyone shed some light over here

so i am new to this my surgery is set for april 20th and I can say that I am a little nervous does anyone feel that way...... I never been under the knife or been anestised before so can anyone shed some light over here. :smile2:

hi my name is amy... i was banded on march 20th, and i have to say i was also very frightened before the surgery. I also had never had any surgery before. when u get in the hospital and they put an iv in request a seditive. it was a life saver for me, i relaxed emmidiatly! the surgery itself was really not bad at all. they give u great meds, and if u can stay overnight i would recommend it, just so if anything comes up someone is always there to releive any fears u may have. the pain i had wasnot terrible at all. you have moments of pain, but usually it has to do with trying to get out of bed or something. i am almost two weeks out of surg and i can honestly say that i only have a tiny bit of soreness at the port site and really thats all. i found the real challenge the liquid diet LOL u do get hungry, but it's not terrible, just annoying more than anything! Im telling u you'll do just fine!! try not to worry. if u have any specific questions feel free to write me!

amy

I haven't had the band put in yet, but I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy. That was no fun, but they give you some drugs and you aren't going to care what's going on. It's kind of like they turn off the light switch and then turn it back on. The stress beforehand was much worse than the reality. I figure lap surgery will be much easier.

I was like you in 2003 when I had to have my gall bladder removed. Never had surgery, HATED hospitals (people DIE in hospitals) and was basically miserable. But I had to have my gall bladder removed, so I did it.

I ended up being so interested in the medical process that I quit my job and went back to school...to become a nurse! LOL The OR (when they wheeled me in) looked NOTHING like I expected and I asked the anesthesiologist to let me look around for a minute before he put me out (this even with the versed on board...I shouldn't be able to remember, but I do) It was EASY! I recovered in record time and never looked back.

These are things I did my first time (and times since) that may help you. When I came to in recovery I immediately looked for a clock (there was always one in view, on the wall, each surgery I've had) to "orient myself" to how long I'd been out (because it's not like sleep. you don't have a sense of time passing)

Then I was very still and took lots of deep breaths. Helps to expand the lungs, clear the anesthesia, get things working again. The first few hurt a little but each one got easier until within about 5-6 breaths I was breathing well. Once they remove the oxygen mask and you can see well I talked to the nurse (helped me wake up) about my surgery (she has the notes) and so on. Once they wheeled me back to the room I asked for ice chips and then Water ASAP and also sat up as soon as they would let me. For me the sooner I act normally, the sooner I feel normal. i would let them know if I had nausea or pain but for me I had neither. OH I had some tightness in my abdomen (like you'd done the sit ups from hell or some such) but nothing I wanted morphine for. After being "not there" for the surgery I very much wanted to be awake, and enjoyed just being alive if that makes sense (I told you, I was really scared the 1st time! LOL)

I got up to urinate and walk as soon as they'd let me. They offered me juices to drink but I picked Water (less likely to nauseate) ... and dressed as soon as I could.

I went home that day and felt great!

My 2 lap band surgeries went as smooth, or more smooth, than that.

So I understand being scared but just remember...it's worth it, they will control your pain if you have any, they know what they are doing (I picked a very experienced surgeon and staff each time) and they will get you through it. I wouldn't have wanted a sedative because then I'd feel panicked because I'd be scared but unable to do anything. We're all different; I tried to get through it objectively. My husband is a nurse and, bless him, he told me what he'd seen people do who had the easiest times, so I copied that, and have shared it with you.

Surgery is actually easier, to me, than having bronchitis. You feel better faster, you have great pain meds if you want, and it's over with more quickly.

I went home the same day each time; wanted my own area and turf.