Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there a member of the SCA?

Good Morning!

I am looking forward to getting banded sometime this year and was wondering if anyone out there was a member of the SCA and had been banded. If so, how does this affect your experiences in the SCA? Do you have a hard time dealing with the restrictions and going to events? Just curious.

Elgrad

I wrote a lengthy post and lost it . . . aargh!!! So I will have to rewrite an abbreviated version, lol.

I am not a member of the SCA but have attended many events similar in nature.

You should be fine going to events banded as long as you are prepared. I would suggest bringing a cooler and other items to help with our post-banding diet. Lots of Protein options, Jello cups, sugar-free pudding cups, cottage cheese, string cheese, some low fat crackers and other band friendly items willl help. If you are still in a liquid stage, you can buy pre-mixed Isopure drinks in a case (maybe $30-$40) that can supplement your Protein. Just make sure you have plenty of stuff that you know you can eat with you.

If you are purchasing any meals from a vendor, be careful about trying new things that you haven't tried after banding. You want to go really slow and carefully just in case. Also remember that one meal may now be several meals post banding, your food expenses may go way down if you have a means to keep things fresh. Be careful about breads.

If you drink alcohol, you want to stay away from beer or other carbonated beverages . . . but wines or mead might be OK in limited quantities depending on what your doctor says (although you want to watch the calories).

This might seem gross, but you also want to keep a container, perhaps a big plastic cup, in your tent/yurt/or whatever you are sleeping in for emergencies. If something gets stuck and has to come back up it is best to be prepared. Also, if you are stuck or need to PB, it can take a while to work its way through or out. You don't want to be holed up in a restroom or port-a-port for an extended period. This may never happen, especially if you are careful, but it is best to be prepared.

If you get yourself involved in any war related activities, you would want to make sure that you are completely healed from surgery. Also, if you bump your port with any force, it is going to hurt no matter how far out you are from surgery.

One good thing to consider is that you will need to think about making, buying or modifying your clothes for the 2010 season. I am sure that whatever you are wearing this year is not going to work for next year . . . and that is the most fun of all the banding dilemmas you may experience :0)

Good luck with banding!!!

What an awesome answer! You brought up things that I had never thought about. Thank you so much for the information. And you are right, I can hardly wait to get into garb that is smaller and more attractive. Thank you again.

BTW - Why aren't you a member of the SCA? You sound as if you have a lot of experience with the group. Just curious. It really isn't any of my business.

Elgrad

BTW - Why aren't you a member of the SCA? You sound as if you have a lot of experience with the group. Just curious. It really isn't any of my business.

I thought about joining as a member in the past but was involved with other groups and with full time work, family and graduate school, I just didn't have enough time to commit.

I have known many people personally involved with the group over the years so that is why I know so much about it. I have a lot of colorful friends with interesting pursuits. I am also a veteran camper at festivals so, other than making clothes by hand, I have experienced it all, lol.

Yes, I am also in the SCA.

Cingulus Tacitus Maximus

Member of Legio IX

House of Atnuha

Kingdom of Caid

I have not been banded yet, may 6th, so I can't say what it will affect things, but HeatherO's answer seemed to cover most of the bases unless your are participating in the battles. With a good gambeson, and armor I would think things would be OK for the port.

Hello and welcome, Cingulus.

It is interesting to see you post here to this particular thread. I just saw an eloquent post of yours regarding people who don't support the decision to be banding. I love the way you compared it to "A Knight's Tale." I have always been a person to take the road less traveled and everything you said rang very true.

I can tell I am going to enjoy your future posts. :0)