Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you FILL me, I need some help?

I had my third fill and can finally feel restriction. A good amount:thumbup:

Howevever I need some help. I have PB'd once and threw up today. Last night I tried to eat a bite of slice peaches. I maybe got down one slice and after about 5 minutes, I PB'd. Yucky. I could feel it coming on, like my slobber was getting stuck.

Then today I went and got a chick-fil-a sandwich, threw the bread away, and got out my knife and fork. I cut it in very small pieces, and was about 20 minutes into eating it when I could feel a piece just sitting in my throat. So I stopped. I waited about 5 minutes and had to go the bathroom and out it came.:biggrin:

SO, am I eating too fast or too much? How do you know when to stop? I dont want to eat too much and stretch out the band, but it seemed like everything was fine and then BAM! Not fine.

Suggestions?

:biggrin: You could have been eating too fast or not chewing long enough....How much did you get down before the problem started, could you have just eaten too much?

With the restriction we have to be careful not to do those things. Any trouble with liquids? Maybe you're too tight?

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth. Been there, done that, ya know?

Joanie

the peaches...you probably didn't chew well.

The chick fil a? maybe you were just full!

PB ing can happen either way!

I'd say just monitor it. We're told to stop when we're satisfied...so how you felt JUST BEFORE that last bite of chick fil a is what you should aim for! :biggrin:

Good luck!

OH after a PB I've read to go to liquids for a while, to allow your stomach to settle back down. You may want to do that, then start again tomorrow.

:biggrin: You could have been eating too fast or not chewing long enough....How much did you get down before the problem started, could you have just eaten too much?

With the restriction we have to be careful not to do those things. Any trouble with liquids? Maybe you're too tight?

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth. Been there, done that, ya know?

Joanie

Its so funny you responded bc I was just looking at your new pics about your surgery this morning. Looking good! I dont know if I could handle the pain...but I am getting off track.

Well, I was about 20 minutes into the chicken. I was using a knife and fork and cutting it into about penny sized pieces. I didnt feel like I was going to fast...but I dont know:confused: Maybe I didnt chew a piece good enough.

I dont know how to tell when I should stop. I mean...that sounds like I am food challenged...but I mean do i stop when i feel "full" or when the sandwich is gone, or when there is a pain...or after 4-6 oz regardless of if i am still hungry?

the peaches...you probably didn't chew well.

The chick fil a? maybe you were just full!

PB ing can happen either way!

I'd say just monitor it. We're told to stop when we're satisfied...so how you felt JUST BEFORE that last bite of chick fil a is what you should aim for! :biggrin:

Good luck!

OH after a PB I've read to go to liquids for a while, to allow your stomach to settle back down. You may want to do that, then start again tomorrow.

damn! So I have to stop BEFORE...thats a hard one to learn I would think for those of us who have always had a lifetime of not stopping or pushing away from the table. I guess this is just one of the lessons the band helps you learn. Thanks for your help.

damn! So I have to stop BEFORE...thats a hard one to learn I would think for those of us who have always had a lifetime of not stopping or pushing away from the table. I guess this is just one of the lessons the band helps you learn. Thanks for your help.

no kidding! When you figure it out, let me know how you did it, ok? :biggrin:

My doc says when "satisfied". like that helps! :cool2:

My advice is that from a new bandster that hasn't even gotten to eat food yet.....

but for what it's worth, if I've learned anything from all I've read the last few months here you should stop AS SOON AS YOU FEEL NOT HUNGRY.....don't keep eating until you feel FULL.

This is supposed to be completely different then the way we have been feeding ourselves for all these yrs.

(and yes I know that's not very good grammer, so I hope it makes sense to yall)

I had my third fill and can finally feel restriction. A good amount:thumbup:

Howevever I need some help. I have PB'd once and threw up today. Last night I tried to eat a bite of slice peaches. I maybe got down one slice and after about 5 minutes, I PB'd. Yucky. I could feel it coming on, like my slobber was getting stuck.

Then today I went and got a chick-fil-a sandwich, threw the bread away, and got out my knife and fork. I cut it in very small pieces, and was about 20 minutes into eating it when I could feel a piece just sitting in my throat. So I stopped. I waited about 5 minutes and had to go the bathroom and out it came.:biggrin:

SO, am I eating too fast or too much? How do you know when to stop? I dont want to eat too much and stretch out the band, but it seemed like everything was fine and then BAM! Not fine.

Suggestions?

Here’s my 2 cents worth: Be careful. Monitor how much you are eating. Maybe try eating things that are softer for a few days. If you continue having a hard time getting anything down it may be that you are too tight. Being too tight can cause people to start eating the wrong things or drinking too many calories. This can lead to malnutrition or sabotaging weight loss. If this continues talk to the doctor and let them know. Don’t wait too long.

After my last fill I was doing well. Not eating too much and loosing good amount of weight. Then about 10 days after the fill I felt so much tighter and could only eat about 3 bites of anything. I bumped up my Protein shakes to make sure I get some nutrients in. I have not been able to get down enough calories because it is so uncomfortable to eat. I have plateaued on weight loss as well. I am going in for a small un-fill. I wasn’t going to because I had been loosing 2.6 pounds every week. But this is no fun PB’ing and being uncomfortable at every meal. Plus I was told that too much stomach acid from PB’ing and vomiting can cause slippage. I don’t want that so in I go. I sure hope she doesn’t take too much out.

So I guess just watch over the next few days and if you are still concerned, call the professionals and see what they advise.

Good luck !!

Makulafamy,

I am getting banded on 6/9. I am reading to learn all I can. Silly question... what does PBing mean? I thought maybe throw up, but not sure. Thanks

Kelly

Just wanted to share my experiences with you. Since my last fill, I now have LOTS of restriction. There are a few foods that I just can't eat, and chicken seems to be one of them. Sometimes if it is in Soup, it doesn't give me problems, but just plain chicken (baked, grilled, boiled).... always seems to come up instead of going down. I've tried it a few different times and the same thing always happens. White flour Pasta and bread are the same way for me. Of course I have problems with other foods IF I don't take TINY bites, chew LOTS, and wait between bites.... working on that. Good luck to you.

Kelly - PB is productive burp. When I eat foods that don't go down, I feel like I need to burp. The food that I just ate comes back up, with saliva, and I have to spit it out - gross but true. To me, it is different from vomiting. The food never even makes it into my stomach, it is not acidy, and getting it up is not as violent as throwing up. It can happen if I eat the foods I metioned above, or if I forget to take tiny bites, chew lots, and wait between bites. Once I got restriction, I have had a lot of trial and error eating. I'm taking one day at a time and learning how I have to eat now. I love my band and the adjustments I'm having to make are worth it!!! Good luck to you!! Becky

Makulafamy,

I am getting banded on 6/9. I am reading to learn all I can. Silly question... what does PBing mean? I thought maybe throw up, but not sure. Thanks

Kelly

hey kelly! Welcome fellow bandster (soon to be). There is dictionary on this site somewhere that has the definitions of all these abbreviations But, yes its just like described above. For example, when I ate that bite of sliced peaches I could feel it setting there for about 5 minutes. I couldnt burp, but I felt like I needed to. I always picture this as the food is sitting there blocking the hole. Anyways, It was like the longer I sat there, the worse it got bc my spit/slobber couldnt pass and it was backing up. So, when I PB'd in mister toliet, what came up was slimy foam OOOH gross. So that's that.

My blog is the link below. There are lots of blogs out there that are interesting to read and help you get an idea of things to come!

Amy

Just wanted to share my experiences with you. Since my last fill, I now have LOTS of restriction. There are a few foods that I just can't eat, and chicken seems to be one of them. Sometimes if it is in Soup, it doesn't give me problems, but just plain chicken (baked, grilled, boiled).... always seems to come up instead of going down. I've tried it a few different times and the same thing always happens. White flour Pasta and bread are the same way for me. Of course I have problems with other foods IF I don't take TINY bites, chew LOTS, and wait between bites.... working on that. Good luck to you.

Kelly - PB is productive burp. When I eat foods that don't go down, I feel like I need to burp. The food that I just ate comes back up, with saliva, and I have to spit it out - gross but true. To me, it is different from vomiting. The food never even makes it into my stomach, it is not acidy, and getting it up is not as violent as throwing up. It can happen if I eat the foods I metioned above, or if I forget to take tiny bites, chew lots, and wait between bites. Once I got restriction, I have had a lot of trial and error eating. I'm taking one day at a time and learning how I have to eat now. I love my band and the adjustments I'm having to make are worth it!!! Good luck to you!! Becky

I have heard chicken can be hard for some. I would be so bummed if that was true for me bc I love me some chicken. I think even though i was cutting it up into to small pieces, I ate too many small bites in a hurry. I had chili last night, and boyfriend had let it cook for a really long time...so the Beans were nice and mushie and there ground beef was pretty small. Anyways, I ate about a cup and everything was cool. I stopped when I didnt feel hungry anymore. I am going to keep working on that.

Thanks for your help!

Here’s my 2 cents worth: Be careful. Monitor how much you are eating. Maybe try eating things that are softer for a few days. If you continue having a hard time getting anything down it may be that you are too tight. Being too tight can cause people to start eating the wrong things or drinking too many calories. This can lead to malnutrition or sabotaging weight loss. If this continues talk to the doctor and let them know. Don’t wait too long.

After my last fill I was doing well. Not eating too much and loosing good amount of weight. Then about 10 days after the fill I felt so much tighter and could only eat about 3 bites of anything. I bumped up my Protein shakes to make sure I get some nutrients in. I have not been able to get down enough calories because it is so uncomfortable to eat. I have plateaued on weight loss as well. I am going in for a small un-fill. I wasn’t going to because I had been loosing 2.6 pounds every week. But this is no fun PB’ing and being uncomfortable at every meal. Plus I was told that too much stomach acid from PB’ing and vomiting can cause slippage. I don’t want that so in I go. I sure hope she doesn’t take too much out.

So I guess just watch over the next few days and if you are still concerned, call the professionals and see what they advise.

Good luck !!

Thanks! I worry about my band slipping with the pbing and throwing up as well. I dont think I am too tight though. I am hoping that I just ate to much too quickly. I had chili last night and it went down just fine, as did my yogurt this morning. I can still drink Water at a pretty good pace as well. Good luck with your unfill. Keep us posted.

Hey there...when things get stuck for me or I pb it's usually because I'm eating too fast or I've gone too long in between eating and I'm scarfing and not chewing well enough.Chicken has not been my friend from the start I've always done better with ground beef.But since my last fill I've pb'd and thrown up crackers,bread & lunchmeat.......so I dont know if that helps at all but sometimes it varies from day to day........:thumbup: I've really tried to slow down but it's hard.Sometimes I ca tell by the way the texture of something feels in my mouth whether it's going to go down or not and sometimes I just spit it out! Crazy!!:scared2: