Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total weight loss in one year

I know this is generalized question but how much weight should you lose in a year well anyone who has had the band for a year how much weight have they lost I really would like to know my goal for one year is 100 pounds does everyone out there think this is doable or is it just a fantasy let me know

Hi Flower,

With proper restriction, the expected average weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs a week, so this would equate to 50-100 lbs in a year. It really depends on how much you have to lose and how compliant you are. I lost 120 my first year, but I worked really hard and had a very high BMI of 53.9 when I started.

Babs in TX

334/180

It's doable but you really may be disappointed. Here's why.

1. The band is fickle. Our weightloss (longterm) is neither automatic nor totally predictable.

2. Some people take a while to get proper restriction and don't start losing much for a while.

3. It all depends on how much you have to lose. I've seen "heavyweights" such as myself (starting BMI 47) lose much faster than those who start out lighter.

4. Many of us chose the band because of slower and steadier weight loss. And speaking from experience, it really is the healthiest-both physically and psychologically.

5. Also, if you plan on keeping your band a secret, the quicker your weightloss, the harder that is to do.

This said, many people have lost 80-100 in a year. But I once heard someone say their doc said that we should allow 3 years to get used to our bands and really get the weight off and into maintenance. I like this.

I know my 3 years is up, but I did have a baby during that time!!! :)

I think if you only set a goal of weight lost you could be disapointed. I thought I would loose about 100 pounds my first year, but that is not the track I am on. I am one of the slow loosers. I am coming to terms with that.

But I am learning to measure my success in NSVs and not just pounds dropped.

Also, you might put on muscle mass. Let's hope to the gods that you put on muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, it just takes up less room. So if you only "loose" 50 pounds by scale weight, but put on 25 pounds of muscle how would you feel? (I'm thinking you'd feel pretty terrific physicaly, but the head thing gets in the way.)

I really really don't recommend setting a goal of 100 lbs lost in a year. I tried to set that goal for myself and lost 50 in my first year and got really upset over it. By the time I got to my year mark, I was "over myself" knowing that I wasn't going to hit it, and forgiving myself for making unreasonable requests of myself. It CAN be done, and it IS done, but I really wouldn't suggest making a goal of it... at least not until you have some idea of what your weight loss pattern is like.

:)

I have lost 50lbs and am just past my one year mark. Most of it came off in the last 6 months when I finally hit my sweet spot.