Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am Katie Jenkins and I am scheduled for lap band procedure on April 24th. I am a little nervous as I am having this procedure done in Mexico due to the reduced cost there. I feel like I need to be in contact with others who have done this so - here I am. I weigh 200 pounds and am 5'5" so I would like to lose about 70 pounds. I do not know what to expect but I have been unable to lose weight on my on. Hope this works for me.

Do you have after care lined up locally, or if not, do you plan to go back to get fills etc? Becaused the aftercare is almost more important than the band...and it can be hard to obtain if you have your surgery by a different surgeon.

Also...be VERY careful traveling in Mexico. Depending on where you're headed, things are in a furor down there right now...drug cartels fighting police etc. (I live near the border and there is something on the news here almost nightly)

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hello,

I know for me the time flew fast and before you know it your in the OR. I just got banded 03/25/09 but I know that the band is not inflated at that time and that I should visit the Dr about one month after to get it fitted. From what I've read and the Dr has said to me, it may take up to 3-4 adjustments in the 1st year to get it just right.

Gl with your weight loss journey, research everything and if you do go to Mexico be very careful, it is crazy down there from what I have seen and read in the news.

Ben

I am concerned for you because you need to be 100 lbs overweight. My friend can't have one done due to being 59, Dr. told her wasn't good for her at her age. And Mexico is known for horror stories. Please reconsider going to Mexico. Take care. My surgery has worked and I've lost 35 lbs since Nov. 20, 2008

Edited by Shaines55

:thumbup:

I am concerned for you because you need to be 100 lbs overweight. My friend can't have one done due to being 59, Dr. told her wasn't good for her at her age. And Mexico is known for horror stories. Please reconsider going to Mexico. Take care. My surgery has worked and I've lost 35 lbs since Nov. 20, 2008

I agree about the weight, according to the Lap Band site (where I cut the following info from):

you've been thinking about weight loss surgery as a tool in losing and your excess weight and maintaining your ongoing health goals, you can use the guideline below to determine if LAP-BAND® System is the right option for you.

To determine if your weight and physical attributes meet the criteria for the LAP-BAND® System, slide the controls below to your approximate weight and height. You may be able to benefit from the LAP-BAND® System if:

• You are at least 18 years old
  • You are at least 100 pounds overweight or your BMI is 40 or higher (or at least 35 if you have one or more comorbidities - weight-related health conditions - such as type 2 diabetes)

Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly evaluate all the factors in your case.

Personally (and this is just me...) I wouldn't have the surgery for that amount of weight to lose, and there is no way on earth I'd go to Mexico to have it done. Period. BUT I've lived on the border and heard tales of terror since I was little (A LONG time ago).... and I know germs can't be seen with the naked eye so just because something "looks" clean doesn't mean it is.

People DO go to Mexico and have good results. Right now with the drug wars, though, isn't a good time.

There is a doctor in Colorado, Kirschenbaum, who does the whole thing for under 10K...I don't know him but would probably do something like that (others in the USA are also cheaper than 10K) rather than going to Mexico, if i couldn't afford the 15K my local surgeon charged, or if I didn't have insurance.