Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you set your goal weight?

I've been watching the weight loss progress in the signature of almost every message I read. How did you determine what your goal weight is?

I'm guessing some of you are adjusting a couple of times till you get to where you think you should be. Others, like me started with their final end weight as their goal.

Before surgery I was aware, but not really thinking about BMI numbers until I discussed the surgery with my family doctor. My BMI at the time was 35. He made me aware that above 30 was considered obese, and that 24 was the top end of what is considered healthy. Based on that I set my goal on here as reaching that 24 figure. That cooresponds to about 183. 20 years ago I got down to 195 and a lot of people said I looked great. That is the lowest my wife of 28 years has ever seen me. She has said that 183 might be too much. I'm wondering if I should have set my goal to 195. However its just a number, when I do reach 195 I guess I'll just continue to try and eat well and continue to live the improvements to my life and see where it goes. I don't see myself as getting too caught up and losing and going into unhealthy levels. I guess maybe what I am really wondering is what I will do when I hit my goal. I'm thinking I'll probably check my weight less often, but still keep an eye on it fearful of returning to where I was.

I set mine as a weight (160) that I had gotten down to about 38 years ago when I felt (and thought I looked) great. My surgeon set it at 10# lighter (150). I've done well enough that now he's talking another 20 beyound that (130). I can't image this because I probably haven't been that low since middle school. BMI is just a number that isn't necessarily right for everyone because of body type. I'm shooting for healthy. :thumbup:

Im aiming for when i feel comfortable within myself to look & feel good.. wether its below target weight or above, & as long as im more healthier & in no danger im happy..

I'm so glad you asked!! THIS is why I don't have a "ticker"!!! I haven't set a goal with my surgeon or my nutritionist. In fact, I rarely see either one of them any more. I know that I am supposed to weigh about 167 for a healthy BMI, but also recognize how unrealistic that is. I'm currently about 210 and run at least 20 miles a week with good restriction. I haven't lost weight since January, but see my body transforming. I'm hoping it's just a phase and that my body will finally relent. BUT, back on topic, I'd be curious to know more about how goal weights are set...for the one day I expect to be there! :thumbup:

For me, I'm going for the weight goal. I work at a major corporation that has a "Health Stat" program at work and we are monitored for free. I have had two major work ups and the only thing that has come back negative is my body mass index-thank goodness no high BP or Cholesterol. Technically my weight should be about 130, but realistically Ive set a goal of 140-150. :thumbup:

The BMI normal range is a pretty good target start. I'm 5'8.5" and the top of my normal range would be 166#. I was down to 160 (again) about 8 years ago and I still had 10-20 pounds before getting super skinny/too thin. I set a range for myself (I'm all about the 'healthy' thing too). I put 148 at the low end as that's my 100# mark, but if I get back around 160 it will be great. I'll know it when I get there. I think the other thing to ask yourself is are you a person who likes to set their goals high as it motivates you, but you're OK if you never reach it; or do you get more motivated by always reaching your goals? Good luck!

I hadnt been obese all my adult life. Whilst I always struggled a bit with my weight, I managed to stay merely overweight until I had my second baby and the third was the final straw.

A couple of times I'd lost weight and gotten down to 72, 73 kgs. I knew that was "okay" for me, so I determined 70, although 79 is the top of my healthy weight range. I'm not "big boned" or muscular and I knew since I'd spent years and years at about 79kg that I still considered that pretty beefy and wasnt happy being that weight - although its normal weight, given I'm 5ft 10, its still plus size territory for me, with little to fit me in regular stores (here). Australia has nowhere near the plus size range the US has and our regular stores carry less of a size range.

However, I even think about 65 would be about right for me, but I've not been able to get there. That would be a BMI of under 20, but I've been surprised to find I'm actually very fine boned under all the weight I always carried because even at BMI 22, although I'm fit and have a fair bit of muscle under there, there's still too much fat on parts of my body.

You have to fine tune when you get there I think. Your body is unique.

I picked the weight I was at through my mid twenties-mid thirties. I feel good at that weight and feel I can maintain it. Since they say lap banders lose only about 50% of their excess weight, (and my goal puts my total loss at a good chunk more than 50%) I figured it was a good stretch, but do-able. Honestly since I started at 405 I'll be happy as a skinny pig when I get down to 200. Once I hit 185, I'll see how I feel and if I want to lose more. Again, my big issue isn't hitting a low, but being able to maintain it. So I'll adjust it as I feel the need.

Right now, any pound I lose is great. My mini goal is to just get to 50 lost...the most I've EVER lost on any diet is 45. So once I hit that 50 I'll be in "virgin diet" territory! :thumbup:

To start with I decided to go to the weight I was at 9 years ago when I was feeling good about myself, able to get dates and met my other half (220). This is still well over the "ideal" medical weight after I reach that goal I will probably work on going lower the lightest I've been in my adult life is 184 that was when I got out of basic training in 1981. If I ever make that I may consider the "ideal" weight but have learned to make small goals. Right now I want to be below 300 before my surgery in what 12 days. I keep going from 301 to 300 and back to 301 of course the last few days I've had major last meal syndrome.

Edited by JayTee562

My doc typically thinks a reasonable goal is 60 to 70% of your excess weight. That would put me around 230. My personal goal for now is 199 because I haven't seen the other side of 200 since my Bar Mitzvah. That still puts me in an overweight BMI, but I think at that weight the Doc and I can better evaluate what is a healthy weight for me considering my big frame, lean muscle mass, and however much excess skin I've got at that point.

I played HS football (shorter than I am now) at 220-240 and was plump, but could motor and lift like no one's business. All my coaches ever wanted me to do were push-aways and I would have been in outstanding shape, but I couldn't do them. I figure that weight minus the rolls should be around where I am supposed to be.

My Dr set my goal weight at 70kgs (BMI= almost 27).

He asked me initially what I wanted to get down to, and I said 65kgs (BMI =25). When I started losing, I got to 74kgs and he said at that point that I only looked like I needed to lose another 4kgs tops.

So he revised my goal weight to 70kgs then. I'm now 68.6kgs, and with my body lift surgery happening on Thurday this week, I'm expecting to lose another 3-4kgs in skin, so that should take me to around my desired goal weight of 65kgs after the swelling subsides anyway.

Though tbh, my Dr is probably right. Right now, my ribs are showing, my collarbones stick out, but I still have my bum and breasts, and I don't want to lose those things, so I personally am pretty happy with where I am now, and just need the excess skin removed!

I was wondering why it is always necessary to be totally unfilled before surgery.

Congratulations on your great success!! And, good luck with your lift. I hope you report on how that goes. I'm scared of the pain!!

Lol I'll admit I'm pretty scared of the pain as well. But not so scared that I'm prepared to live with this 'skirt' of skin forever!

Not everyone has to be unfilled prior to PS. My PS wanted me to be, mainly because he was worried about the obstruction the band would cause if I get sick from the anaesthesia and need to vomit. But I'm getting re-filled 4 days after surgery while I'm still in hospital recovering, so it's not so bad.

Thanks for the good wishes. I promise I will update on how it all goes!

Edited by lellow

I have never been thin. I was one of those who was a chubby kid and grew into an overweight adult. I picked a random number of 150 mainly because it sounded like a reasonable number and I am over forty. The chart says my weight should be 125 but considering I don't know what that would be like, it's an abstract number to me. Once I get to 150 I figured I would re-assess my goal at that time.

I picked my weight the same reason as a couple of others. I was comfortable for myself when I was at 160 before. However, my Drs goal is only 183, which surprised me. We've started to discuss a couple of times, but both he and the PA have said to just continue what i'm doing and we'll know when I'm 'right' with myself. :-)

Good luck to us all!