Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Miralax Doesn't Work for Me - Need Options

Hello everyone - I am sure you can guess my issue from the title of my thread. Having one heck of a time finding something to "help things go easier" for me. I have tried laxatives, stool softeners in pill form as well as the powder Miralax with no effect.

I am looking for advice, options, suggestions, etc. from you all. FYI, my surgery date was January 27, 2009.

Thanks much!

I've had this problem both before and after surgery...(tmi?)

What works the best for me with no cramping, etc. is Philip's Milk of Magnesia. Its not the best taste in the world, but if you pretend its like a shot its fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Rebecca - I have tried the Milk of Mag pills but it sounds like I should give the liquid a try. At this point, I am willing to try anything? Have you found any foods that help rather than pills?

I read a post several months ago that eating a few dried apricots everyday helps. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I will if the need to arises.

Good luck!

As for food, I have been told by doctors, parents, friends that prunes are the way to go. Prune juice, actual prunes, prune anything. I myself do not like the taste of prunes and actually would prefer the taste of Milk of Mag (can you imagine?), but if you can "go" through food I think that is probably a better route.

I have a chronic issue with this and my gastro doctor had me take miralax twice a day for a while. I take it once a day now, but you have to be patient. Once you start it can take 1 to 3 days to work. once it works, and you take it every day, it will work daily.

good luck!:thumbup:

I have had the same issue, and have had IBS for years. I used to drink the Sunsweet plum juice, but it is very high in sugar. They do make a light version but it is hard to find. I was trying to eat a lot of high Fiber foods, like Beans, etc. I am still on soft food, having had my surgery 3 weeks ago. Since the surgery I am having a lot of gas, and Gas X does not really work. Yesterday, I went to GNC and bought Colon Cleanz tea bags. I had a cup after dinner and this morning and went fine. No cramping. I hope it continues. The gas IS less today.

Hope this helps.