Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

keep getting colds since banded (for women)

So - I "was" one of those people who hardly ever got sick - maybe once every two or three years and just a little cold (with exception of flu twice in my life). Since being banded in Dec though....I just started my THIRD cold, plus I have had an ear infection and (warning TMI) TWO yeast infections (which I have never had even one before). WHAT THE HELL.

I said to my husband last night - hm, do I want to be fat and never sick or skinny and have colds all the time....grrrrrr

what could I be lacking?? Im taking a Multivitamin and Vitamin C and Calcium. Can I go to the doctor and ask her to test me to see if Im deficiant in something or do they do that?

Its starting to get on my nerves and Im tired of making my husband and kids sick.

PLUS - Im having a PS consult soon and I have to get this figured out or their is no way I can get plastic surgery in May (maybe) if I cant fight off infection.

Colds? Try pneumonia.

I know what you mean....it's like I was never sick (or only once a year) before I was banded and now... well now is okay because I'm 2 years out...but after I was banded in June and started losing weight in August...by October I was in the hospital. Then a month or so later, again...then again in the spring.

Just hang in! Like you, I thought it was nutritional....but what?

Let us know what you find out.

Please remember that you had major surgery...you may have recovered quickly, but you had general anesthesia! All the pre-op dieting, surgery, recovery, etc. is stressful, too. Add all that together and you have reduced your immunity. Take a good Multivitamin everyday if you aren't already. Get plenty of sleep. Yeast infection? Have you been on antibiotics? Because antibiotics can screw up your pH, etc. and cause yeast infections. Ask the doctor for, gee I can't remember the name of it, but there is a medication for yeast infections that is ONE pill. Starts working immediately and should eliminate it completely in 24-48 hours. I just got back from an 8 day cruise last Sunday ... and I was sick as s dog with a sinus infection. I hardly ever get sick but I chalk it up to reduced immunity due to all the above. Stick with the good routine (lots of hand washing, rest, drink plenty of water) and you will move out of this stage.

Actually I was on Antibiotics for the ear infection. So my doc gave me that pill (one dose)...but I still had two days of the antibiotics..I go back to the doc on monday cuz things just arent going away...grr

I think that its the stress that our bodies are going thru. I too rarely get sick and this year alone I have already been sick 3 times. Just make sure you're getting in your Protein, drink lots of Water, what type of vits are you taking, I take Centrum chewable and my doc says take 2 per day, wash your hands good good good! Eat plenty of fruits and veggies and most importantly get plenty of rest...all of this is good for your immune system.

UGH! Try TWO months!!

I've pretty much been sick with colds since the first week of February.

DD got sick the first of January and was sick almost all month, got better only to get sick again the first of February, a few days later, I got it too. I've been fighting it ever since.

She and I both are hardly ever sick. But this winter has been awful. We start to get better, only to get laid low again. This last bought, both of us were starting infections so both of our docs have given us antibiotics. I'm hoping it takes care of it once and for all!

I figure it's due to having had surgery even tho I'm doing everything right as far as supplements and pro-biotics go. I never get yeast infections after antibiotics so I'm hoping that will hold the same this time too. I'm hardly ever on them but since surgery, who knows!

DD is almost 3 and we're out and about more with other kids so I know that's why she's been getting sick so much. I couldn't believe I didn't get her cold in January. She was sick for so long I figured for sure I was nailed. But no. I waited til February!

She starts preschool in the Fall so I'm hoping she won't be as sick then and that we took care of most of the immunity building THIS winter! Guess we'll find out!

I am hearing from a lot of people that I know who've gotten sick this winter that they just can't seem to get over this stuff. Our docs are saying the same thing. Kinda scary but maybe it's a supercold. They keep talking about these superbugs that are out there. Maybe this in one? Who knows! Makes you think tho. Haven't been hearing too much about flu stuff.

Take care everyone and lets hope we're all well VERY soon!!

Flu hasnt really been bad this season its everything else. I am a nurse practitioner student and we have been seeing a lot of mono..more than the flu!