Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They had to take my band out...I am absolutely devestated

I had a slipped band and had surgery yesterday to repair. Well when the doctor got inside he realized I had a hernia and the slipped band. Make a long story short, after 2 additional surgeons and a gastro doc being called in, they had to remove the band. The doctor said I will never be able to have the band again. He said after about 2 months when my stomach has healed we'll discuss my options. I am devestated that I lost my band. I don't know what to do now. I don't feel like I can keep the weight off by myself. I'm glad that I've lost 56lbs, but at the same time I feel like I'm back where I was. I don't know I'm just so upset over this right now.

I had a slipped band and had surgery yesterday to repair. Well when the doctor got inside he realized I had a hernia and the slipped band. Make a long story short, after 2 additional surgeons and a gastro doc being called in, they had to remove the band. The doctor said I will never be able to have the band again. He said after about 2 months when my stomach has healed we'll discuss my options. I am devestated that I lost my band. I don't know what to do now. I don't feel like I can keep the weight off by myself. I'm glad that I've lost 56lbs, but at the same time I feel like I'm back where I was. I don't know I'm just so upset over this right now.

Please know, you are not alone in revision surgery!

My suggestion... after your stomach has healed go to a surgeon that does ALL major procedure types, band, sleeve, and bypass. If restriction is all you need and you don't need malabsorption, get a sleeve! They ROCK! I love mine, it is so much easier than banding. No slips, erosion, stomas, getting stuck, none of it. Just a tiny little stomach.

Weight loss is faster, better, easier, and far fewer long term complications. They also remove Ghrelin, a hunger causing hormone produced mostly by the stomach. So hunger is not the same as before surgery.

Here is a link to find out more:

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) AKA Gastric Sleeve (NEW!) - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

If you go to someone who only does bands and bypass they aren't going to push the sleeve. It would be like a toyota dealer talking you into a ford. It isn't going to happen. That's why I suggest going to someone who does all the major procedures, you get a more balanced opinion.

But no worries! There are options and they might just be better than the band!

Thanks so much for your support. I researched the sleeve a bit last night and that looks like it will be my option. I just hope I can get my insurance to pay, again! I am just sooo scared about gaining weight back. I love the new me and don't ever want to go back to the old me!!

Thanks again.

What were your symptoms leading up to and during the hernia.

I ask, because I have recently been, occasionally feeling like there is a lump in my throat up. It is up by my laranyx and seems to happen completely randomly. The doctor seems to think it is an irritated epoglotis or a hernia, or just anxiety??

Of course if it is a hernia then I'm probably screwed. I'm only 10 weeks from being banded. If I have a problem developing I would sure like to know.

About 3 weeks ago I got my 5th fill and that's when I began vomiting 4x a day, couldn't keep any solids down, barely any liquids. When I would lay down at night to go to sleep I would wake up to Fluid coming out of my nose/mouth. Went back to the doctor they removed what they had just added to my band. It didn't work, so they removed all Fluid from my band. By this point my chest was hurting pretty bad, but I attributed it to throwing up so much. Well the symptoms still didn't go away so they admitted me to the hospital and long story short I had what was a planned revision surgery which ended up with the removal of my band. But in retrospect I had been having a lot of shortness of breath, chest pains etc. A couple of months ago I was actually rushed to the hospital because of the shortness of breath etc. Now looking back I'm pretty confident those symptoms were due to the hernia. I actually posted on here asking if anyone experienced those symptoms with the feeling that their heart was beating out of their chest also.

Have you mentioned your symptoms to your doctor? If not you really should. One thing this experience has taught me is that call your doctor if something doesn't feel right to you! Your instincts are usually correct!!

Hope this info helped you some, sorry it got kind of lengthy!

Amy

I ask, because I have recently been, occasionally feeling like there is a lump in my throat up. It is up by my laranyx and seems to happen completely randomly. The doctor seems to think it is an irritated epoglotis or a hernia, or just anxiety??

Of course if it is a hernia then I'm probably screwed. I'm only 10 weeks from being banded. If I have a problem developing I would sure like to know.

He doesn't know if you have a hernia? Why in the world didn't he look? That's standard for any WLS, look for/fix hiatal hernias and do WLS.

Yes, listen to WASaBubbleButt. Smart Cookie. :)

Don't be sad about losing your band. The band is NOT the right solution for everyone....no single WLS process is. There are plenty of other options out there now, and one of them WILL work.

Keep your chin up, and simply move forward to whatever's next. Give yourself some time to heal, relax, and give dieting another chance while you're in between WLS's.

The band was DEVASTATING for me, I had an awful experience. I had a GB, and I still encountered some problems, but I am now at a PERFECT weight, and quite healthy. Your ture WILL come.

WLS is not an "event", it is a PROCESS, and some of that process will often include using multiple methods....meaning multiple surgeries. But once you DO find what will work for you, you will be amazed.

So, for now, just realize that you are a step closer to your ultimate goal. You have had to take a bit of a Detour, but understand that it's ok....you'll be fine.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, and what you ultimately decide to do.

HH :)

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1184178", true); </SCRIPT>

After much thought about my band having to be removed. And a couple of months before the possibility of having another type of WLS done (if the insurance will pay). I joined Weight Watchers this morning. I cannot give myself a minute of weakness. If I do I'm afraid I'll spiral out of control. Weight Watchers was the only diet that worked for me prior to surgery. I have to do something, I can't just hang around hoping not to eat too much and trying not to regain the weight. I absolutely love the new me and despise the old me. I cannot handle the thought of gaining any weight back. So I have to be 100% serious and dedicated to this. As soon as I'm better from the surgery, which should be in a few days, I'll begin walking or riding my bike for exercise.

Thanks to everyone on here for your support. It means a lot.

I didn't have a hernia when they did my band, but maybe developed one since? I don't know if that is realistic, or if they just might have missed one and now the surgery is developing it?

I didn't have a hernia when they did my band, but maybe developed one since? I don't know if that is realistic, or if they just might have missed one and now the surgery is developing it?

I had a hernia repair when they did my band. And some how managed to develop one with the band. I didn't really think it was possible but I guess it is.

StartingOver, You've got my respect! :)

You are doing EXACTLY the right thing. DO go on Weight Watchers and give it %100.

WLS is only one way to lose weight. Many, many people are able to deal with the weight issues without WLS. For most of us here, it was simply too much, and WLS was the only option left.

Give WW a solid try while you are waiting on the Insurance, and perhaps it may work for you to some degree this time. If not, there is always WLS.

In my own case, after my band failed me, I found a way of eating that allowed to lose about 70 pounds, but then I had some complications with the "failed" Lap band, some additional surgeries, and I ended up having a Gastric Bypass. It's kind of a long and complex story, but the bottom line for me is that I do believe that when you find your own particlular method eating that works, you CAN do it. Many people never find their "way", so WLS is the result.

So, give it a shot while you're waiting for the insurance to deal with the WLS.

Keep us posted!

HH

After much thought about my band having to be removed. And a couple of months before the possibility of having another type of WLS done (if the insurance will pay). I joined Weight Watchers this morning. I cannot give myself a minute of weakness. If I do I'm afraid I'll spiral out of control. Weight Watchers was the only diet that worked for me prior to surgery. I have to do something, I can't just hang around hoping not to eat too much and trying not to regain the weight. I absolutely love the new me and despise the old me. I cannot handle the thought of gaining any weight back. So I have to be 100% serious and dedicated to this. As soon as I'm better from the surgery, which should be in a few days, I'll begin walking or riding my bike for exercise.

Thanks to everyone on here for your support. It means a lot.