Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone banded at a weight of 200lbs or less?

Have dr. apt 6/15

Have seminary 6/18

social worker 6/19

So guess what! I figured out I had been taking about 4 x more psysillum husk than I should....so I stopped that. Gut has been happy since.

Would love to hear others 'flag' type comments made by the providers and responses back. I think the more info we have the more we can be prepared for their off the wall comments.

I admit by reading this site I was more prepared for the 'why do you want this' question. I was also asked - at what weight did I feel my best - better to go as low as possible on that one. Another trick question. If you are not low enough - they will recommend diet change before surgery.

I picked the magic 100 pounds less than I am. Not by saying 100 but 'I felt great an this weight, and I felt good at this weight, then I knew I was in trouble at this weight.

The goal is for them not to trick you but to make sure you are aware - fully aware - of what it is you are siging up for.

Do your homework.

OH - another thing that ticked me off. They brought up The Biggest Loser - 'try watching that show - it might insire you - if they can do it you can.' I said - are you kidding - they work out 8 hours a day 7 days a week burning 8000 cal a day! I am inspired when I watch that show - inspired to NOT let myself gain another 50 pounds.

I am able now to stay on the workout machine for 15 min. More than that I will run late for work. I don't get enough sleep and even 15 min is a loss.

I cant imagine any health professional bringing up the Biggest Loser seriously! I am guessing that the vast majority of those contestants have gained their weight back. I tried to find out but there's no long term follow up on them on their website...I wonder why! That show is a joke...the one guy admitted to "peeing blood" to make the weight to win by dehydrating himself to the point of kidney damage!!! How sad.

Monday I meet the Dr. Don't know what other steps will have to be completed before we can make a date. Thinking I should make a bigger deal of my snoring - it's just that it's off and on -but I will have DH there to testify :thumbdown:

We shall see.

BTW - I am gluten free. No big deal - the better thing to eliminate was the psyllium husk - I doubled the dose. Don't know why.... So I have been doing this for 1 week now. Guess what. Gained 3#s. That my friends is why I am on this journey......

Are you saying that the psyllium husk is keeping you from loosing weight? :confused: I've been taking about a tlbsp each day.

No - I stopped taking it and gained 3 #s - better to get the stuff out. But I think I was over doing it thinking it would lower my cholesterol - it did not.

I thinik the RD thought I had a gleten allergy and my bowel was over active. If was allergic to gluten products I should have lost weight once dropping the problem foods.

The phyllium probably helped me eliminate stuff but maybe too much.

The good news is - I won't be out of range when I weigh in!!

You can take phyllium to help keep your colon clean but like everything else - moderation. Something (or the lack of something) that probably go me in this mess to begin with ~

Also you should know that if the typical dose is 1 tsp I was taking 1 scoop!!! Plus 2 caps every morning.

I don't think I have an allergy.......

Had doctor apt this week. I am 2 point below 40 Bmi - that is 2 pounds too low. While the doc will recommend the surgery based on family history and past attempts of weight loss and keeping it off - the insurance may still deny.

I have high cholerteral (ins co-morbid) I am getting tested for sleep apnea (another ins co-morbid).

I am not sure if my weight will be checked each time I go to the doc. and when do they contact insurance for acceptance? That is key. 2 pounds is like - 1 meal away from qualifying.

Next time - I will have my apt in the afternoon - after I have had at least 2 meals in me!!!

feeling defeated.......

You might be surprised how many people put weights in their bra for just that reason!! I am totally serious...put 'wrist weights' or 'fishing weights' in the search box and I think you'll be amazed!Whatever works...good luck!

I have weights for my bra but did not place them for fear I would be asked to strip to weigh. I guess I messed that one up.

Questions

* Do they weigh you each visit (surgeon)?

* When does the surgeon report to the insurance?

*I have 2 test to complete

endoscopy (required) and sleep study (suggested).

* 1 social worker visit

Any suggestions on the social worker?

* seminar is this week too.

I know this a lot of questions but I really don't want to miss this opportunity!

Had doctor apt this week. I am 2 point below 40 Bmi - that is 2 pounds too low. While the doc will recommend the surgery based on family history and past attempts of weight loss and keeping it off - the insurance may still deny.

I have high cholerteral (ins co-morbid) I am getting tested for sleep apnea (another ins co-morbid).

I am not sure if my weight will be checked each time I go to the doc. and when do they contact insurance for acceptance? That is key. 2 pounds is like - 1 meal away from qualifying.

Next time - I will have my apt in the afternoon - after I have had at least 2 meals in me!!!

feeling defeated.......

I would not feel defeated, but I do understand your feelings. I was denied twice before I was approved. I kept trying but my sleep test results is what sealed my deal. They say a 40 or over BMI or under 40 with atleast two problems. I was borderline high blood pressure and lower back problems, but it was not until my sleep test came back they approved me in a week. Good luck and do not give up.:wink2:

Hello, I am new to this site - just received my surgery date (8/7/09). I am 5'2" and weigh 207. My BMI was not quite 40 and I have no significant health problems so I was very surprised that my insurance approved me. I did do a 6 month doctor monitored diet prior to being approved. Several of my friends/coworkers have had the surgery and swear by it. I know it is not a quick fix, but a life style change and am willing and ready to embrace that. I have only been struggling with weight loss for the past 15 years but have tried many diets during that time, gained some, lost some. I want the surgery so I can prevent health problems - diabetes, heart problems. I just want to enjoy life and be able to do things with my kids, grandkids. I want to be able to walk without being short of breath or my feet killing me. I think with the obesity epidemic today and the success of this surgery, it will become easier to get banded - hopefully insurance companies will see the savings on health issues down the road and start approving patients before their BMI is so high. Sorry if I sound like I am rambling but I am just so excited to finally have this procedure approved and a surgery date scheduled. I worried that I would not be appropriate by insurance standards and did not want to wait until health problems started and then try to get it approved.

Good luck ThinThin. Who is your insurance carrier?

If I get denied I can't apply again for another calendar year. Which would fall correctly - since I probably won't have this done until Nov or Dec anyway given everything I have to do make it step by step.

Seminar - tonight

Social worker - tomorrow

sleep Study - Aug

Endoscopy - not yet scheduled

I was banded May 21st. I had my first fill today. I m 65 and have either been losing weight or gaining weight for the past 50 years. I can honestly say that I have lost and gained 500 lbs during that 50 years. When I was banded my bmi was just over 30 and I was on my way back to the 200 mark yet again. If you continue to do the same thing you've always done you're always going to get the same results. I felt this was my last step to succeed in this battle. My weight has always been the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I thought about at night. This is it for me and To have someone say "why did you have that stupid lapband, just stop eating, you aren't that big" sets me off!!! In the past 6 mo I developed high BP, high Colesterol and Dr. said I would be a risk for diabeetes in short time. I did it and I'm glad. Self pay is hard but I figure I bought an extra few years for that money.:thumbup:

I was banded May 21st. I had my first fill today. I m 65 and have either been losing weight or gaining weight for the past 50 years. I can honestly say that I have lost and gained 500 lbs during that 50 years. When I was banded my bmi was just over 30 and I was on my way back to the 200 mark yet again. If you continue to do the same thing you've always done you're always going to get the same results. I felt this was my last step to succeed in this battle. My weight has always been the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I thought about at night. This is it for me and To have someone say "why did you have that stupid lapband, just stop eating, you aren't that big" sets me off!!! In the past 6 mo I developed high BP, high Colesterol and Dr. said I would be a risk for diabeetes in short time. I did it and I'm glad. Self pay is hard but I figure I bought an extra few years for that money.:)

I too get the same reaction, that's why I decided to tell no one but my mother I have developed diabeties as result of PCOS. I am 38 and 200 lbs with a BMI of 35. I am scheduled for surgery on 7/8/09 and I can't wait to start this new journey. Your thread was very inspiring..... Thanks.:thumbup:

Have dr. apt 6/15

Have seminary 6/18

social worker 6/19

So guess what! I figured out I had been taking about 4 x more psysillum husk than I should....so I stopped that. Gut has been happy since.

Would love to hear others 'flag' type comments made by the providers and responses back. I think the more info we have the more we can be prepared for their off the wall comments.

I admit by reading this site I was more prepared for the 'why do you want this' question. I was also asked - at what weight did I feel my best - better to go as low as possible on that one. Another trick question. If you are not low enough - they will recommend diet change before surgery.

I picked the magic 100 pounds less than I am. Not by saying 100 but 'I felt great an this weight, and I felt good at this weight, then I knew I was in trouble at this weight.

The goal is for them not to trick you but to make sure you are aware - fully aware - of what it is you are siging up for.

Do your homework.

OH - another thing that ticked me off. They brought up The Biggest Loser - 'try watching that show - it might insire you - if they can do it you can.' I said - are you kidding - they work out 8 hours a day 7 days a week burning 8000 cal a day! I am inspired when I watch that show - inspired to NOT let myself gain another 50 pounds.

I am able now to stay on the workout machine for 15 min. More than that I will run late for work. I don't get enough sleep and even 15 min is a loss.

My surgeon mentioned to me that he has operated on a couple contestants from the show.

My insurance was BCBS of Illinois. It does feel at times that you jumping through hoops but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck!!!