Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recently Diagnosed.. Help?

I was diagnosed I think in late 2007, but didn't start treating it until January 2009. I was taking 500mg of Metformin twice a day, that didn't do anything, so then I went to 1000mg twice a day, still nothing, so now my doctor has recommended I go to an endocrinologist to figure out a better treatment, but I want to have some ideas of what other treatments there are. My PCOS has caused me to gain weight no matter what I do. I was a competitive swimmer for 5 years and swam 6 days a week for 2-3 hours a day and either maintained an overweight size or gained weight. I have to shave my chin and neck like every other day, I "shed" more than normal. I've become morbidly obese. And I have no period, speaking of no period, I actually asked my doctor to put me on birth control to where I wouldn't get a period because of the fact that since I've never in my life had a regular period I have no idea how to plan for my period, when it's coming on, etc.

So those who are more educated and experienced with their PCOS... Please help me here.

I was diagnosed back in 97, I have just about every 'typical' symptom of PCOS plus non typical symptoms. Like yourself, the PCOS has made it very difficult for me to lose weight, impossible for me to get pregnant, and has made me emotionally miserable for many years.

I have yet to get the lap band (just turned in my preliminary pprwk, hoping for May) but PCOS is the main reason why I am getting it. I've read a few books on PCOS through the decade (it wasn't commonly known in 97 but now it's pretty well acknowledged) and have been a part of a few forums and have done a lot of research, but it is changing frequently. Many women (here included) rave about how when they have lost 50+lbs, their symptoms have ceased either completely, or at least, majorly. Many people also attribute these changes to low-carb diets (of about 50g a day) Many symptoms known to go away with the weight is amennorhea (infrequent or nonexistant periods) hirsutism (excessive hair on face), infertility, insulin resistance, acne, depression, and others.

Drugs typically perscribed to help with PCOS is the BCP, which dissolves the smaller cysts and allows you to menstruate fairly regularly. Others are the Metformin in up to 2000mg dosage, which can also help with fertility (often paired with clomid), welbutrin or other antidepressants, Spironolact in up to 200mg dosage or other high blood pressure medicine, which is known to help with the hirsutism and acne. They're trying out more and more drugs to help every moment.

Other than trying desperately to lose the weight, start or keep exercising. I find that even though I've been exercising regularly for 4 months and haven't lost a pound or an inch, I have been *feeling* better emotionally and mentally, and it helps deal. My advice is to keep in touch with your PCP/GP as well with an/your OB/GYN. Make sure you get tested for Iron and diabetes, and get regular paps. People with PCOS are more likely to get endometrial cancer.

Keep your head up! One of the most discouraging things all three of my diagnosing doctors told me, is that this isn't something that can be cured. But the more I talk to people, the more I find that isn't completely true. And if losing the weight doesn't cure it completely, atleast I'll be healthier and the symptoms won't be as bad, so it's win/win if you can lose it.:cursing: There is a light at the tunnel you can strive for.

Weight loss will help I am sure. Fat cells store oestrogen hormone, so if you have a lot of fat, you have a lot of oestogen putting your whole system out of whack.

The other goal is making yourself less insulin resistant. eat like a diabetic, exercise your butt off, take metformin if you want and it helps, but all it did for me was give me periods and a lot more acne. The risk of not having a period at all is endometrial cancer - so you have to have one one way or another - Oral Contraceptive is the easiest but not recommended when overweight. Metformin was the other option for me but didn't like the side effects. I stopped Metformin, took Spironalactone for my acne (thank goodness) and had a Mirena IUD put in situ to make sure my endometrial lining was so low that I was not an endometiral cancer risk. And, failing my own efforts at weightloss and making me less insulin resistant, I am getting the band, hopefully it will fix the PCOS, if not, I'll stick with my mirena IUD until I want to have a baby then Clomiphene like you wouldn't believe and IVF if that fails. I have a great endocrinologist who taught me all of the above. Suggest you go in well armed with many questions! Good luck - and you will get there I am sure!

Sorry, I am not posting from personal experience.. but if it's in any way encouraging, I know I have followed a lot of stories on this forum of women who were diagnosed with PCOS, infertility, drug treatments, etc.. and after significant weight loss with the band they went off their meds for PCOS, and became fertile, etc.

So hopefully you guys will be able to say the same thing a year from now :biggrin:)