Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone sorry?

I guess thats a dumb question on a support website. But is there anyone that is sorry? Or misses food? Or isnt losing weight? Im a 40 BMI, 39 yrs old and 230 lbs at 5'3. Scared as hell. Single, 11 yr old daughter. My mother is fat phobic and the older I get the heavier I get. I need to be healthy for my child and myself - but Im afraid Ill miss food, the texture, the taste?? How do u go out for dinner with friends? How do u drink liquids for 6 weeks????? And more????

I dont recognize myself in the mirror anymore - but yet I always opt for the cheeseburger. Thats a self control issue.....will I lose weight this way? Will I be strong enough?

Anyone?????????????:mellow:

Dear GGQ,

I have only had the lap band since January 13, 09 so I am no expert but I can tell you that I had all the same fears as you going into this, especially whether I would have the self control to lose the weight. Looking at the posts on this website before going into surgery, I noticed two types of people...those who loved the band and those who hated it. I am somewhere in between. Here is my honest take on the lap band.

I drank liquids for four weeks (2 before and 2 after). I won't lie to you, it was hard...really hard! Especially in the beginning. I was going crazy with the lack of food and the caffeine withdrawal. Somehow I survived and felt stronger for it.

The actual surgery was not too tough for me. The worst part was the gas pain in my shoulders.

Food does taste different to me, especially fruits. I can't eat any kind of bread. :mellow: Some things that I used to love to eat I don't like the taste of as much anymore. Of course, I have not had a cheeseburger, or many other things, since the surgery so I can't say if that tastes different. The good thing is, I haven't really had any desire to eat a cheeseburger.

Going out with friends is tough. I have anxiety when I go out because I worry about getting stuck and the more anxious I am the higher the likelihood that I do get stuck. I have had to run to the bathroom and throw up on two occasions. Of course, there are scores of people with the lap band that never get stuck and you may well be one of them. For me, however, going out to eat is a painful and embarrassing experience.

The good part of the band is that I have lost 40 pounds in about three months. I definitely eat much less than I once did. The bad part is that the weight has not dropped off me. If I don't exercise like crazy, nothing comes off. I don't ever feel full (like others rave about)... but I do get food stuck on a regular basis. Usually that is the end of my dining experience. I think I just assumed going into this that the weight would fall off if you weren't eating as much but it doesn't. You have to work your butt off. Really, it is just a diet with restraint built in (the knowledge that if you eat too much you might throw up is a wonderful deterrent). I have said to my husband that this would be a great tool once you lost the weight but actually losing it...well, you really have to work on it just like you would on Weight Watchers or any other diet program.

It would be very easy for me to gain weight back on the lap band. chocolate slides right down like silk, as does ice cream. If I went back to the way I used to eat them, I would gain everything back. You must learn to exercise restraint just as you would with any other diet.

Do I regret getting the band? Sometimes. I get in those moods (usually when I haven't lost weight for a couple of days) when I feel sad about the things I can no longer do, like eating out comfortably and gorging on my favorite foods. But at the same time, I have dropped two clothing sizes, I have improved my health, I can jog without passing out and I am not as tired anymore. I am happy with what I have accomplished and I know as more weight comes off, my lap band will become my friend...just as it has for so many other successful people.

I'm not sorry at all. I've lost more slowly than I thought (and I thought it would be slow) but it is coming off and I'm very pleased. My only regret is that I didn't have this option 25 years ago.

Dear GGQ,

I have only had the lap band since January 13, 09 so I am no expert but I can tell you that I had all the same fears as you going into this, especially whether I would have the self control to lose the weight. Looking at the posts on this website before going into surgery, I noticed two types of people...those who loved the band and those who hated it. I am somewhere in between. Here is my honest take on the lap band.

I drank liquids for four weeks (2 before and 2 after). I won't lie to you, it was hard...really hard! Especially in the beginning. I was going crazy with the lack of food and the caffeine withdrawal. Somehow I survived and felt stronger for it.

The actual surgery was not too tough for me. The worst part was the gas pain in my shoulders.

Food does taste different to me, especially fruits. I can't eat any kind of bread. :mellow: Some things that I used to love to eat I don't like the taste of as much anymore. Of course, I have not had a cheeseburger, or many other things, since the surgery so I can't say if that tastes different. The good thing is, I haven't really had any desire to eat a cheeseburger.

Going out with friends is tough. I have anxiety when I go out because I worry about getting stuck and the more anxious I am the higher the likelihood that I do get stuck. I have had to run to the bathroom and throw up on two occasions. Of course, there are scores of people with the lap band that never get stuck and you may well be one of them. For me, however, going out to eat is a painful and embarrassing experience.

The good part of the band is that I have lost 40 pounds in about three months. I definitely eat much less than I once did. The bad part is that the weight has not dropped off me. If I don't exercise like crazy, nothing comes off. I don't ever feel full (like others rave about)... but I do get food stuck on a regular basis. Usually that is the end of my dining experience. I think I just assumed going into this that the weight would fall off if you weren't eating as much but it doesn't. You have to work your butt off. Really, it is just a diet with restraint built in (the knowledge that if you eat too much you might throw up is a wonderful deterrent). I have said to my husband that this would be a great tool once you lost the weight but actually losing it...well, you really have to work on it just like you would on Weight Watchers or any other diet program.

It would be very easy for me to gain weight back on the lap band. chocolate slides right down like silk, as does ice cream. If I went back to the way I used to eat them, I would gain everything back. You must learn to exercise restraint just as you would with any other diet.

Do I regret getting the band? Sometimes. I get in those moods (usually when I haven't lost weight for a couple of days) when I feel sad about the things I can no longer do, like eating out comfortably and gorging on my favorite foods. But at the same time, I have dropped two clothing sizes, I have improved my health, I can jog without passing out and I am not as tired anymore. I am happy with what I have accomplished and I know as more weight comes off, my lap band will become my friend...just as it has for so many other successful people.

You said exactly what I would have said.Although I've been banded longer than you I still have the same throwing up and going out to eat problems.Its embarrasing to still be eating long after everyone else is finished so,I usually just quit before I get full.

I've only been banded since March 17 so I can't give future insight into having a band. I can, however, tell you why I got it in the first place and these last 6 days after the surgery supports my reason for getting it... I can't control my overeating and the band helps me do that, period. I didn't go into this thinking that I would be able to keep on eating like I always have, I did it because I knew I WOULDN'T, and I couldn't stop on my own. I needed the physical restriction to help me live longer and thank God that is what I got; I can tell the difference even on liquids. It is a big step to take and your relationship with food is forever different- but, is it unliveable or unenjoyable?? NO! Is my orgy with food over.. YES! So, I got what I asked for. Say a prayer, talk with others that have been banded, your doctor, too and make your decision about the surgery. Good Luck and God Bless!

GGQ, I am 14.5 months out, 8 lbs from goal. I have had 9 fills, I currently have approx 9.25 cc in a 10cc band. I would certainly do this again. I just hate I could not have done this 10 yrs ago. As I got the fills on a monthly basis, due to having restriction for about 3 weeks after each fill and as I lost wt the restriction became less. So you will reach several "sweet spots" on your journey only to search for the next one. I am probably about done, pretty tight the last 5 weeks since the last fill. Warm liquids first thing in the morning, then my prtien shake, then mushy for Breakfast about 3 hrs later. then lunch and then eat 5 hrs later. The last fill has caused a full feeling not the same as before. You can bet if I do not chew, and then chew some more before swallowing that tiny morsel, it will aggrevate until i do it right. My eyes Water, pain in chest, and then the slime begins. This will happen with every morsel if I DO NOT CHEW WELL. I have learned this same lesson over and over for each fill I have had since surgery. We just have to be reminded. I eat about 1/2 -3/4(pushing it) for lunch. maybe 3/4 and some ww bread. sometimes I can get a yogurt and fruit snack in in the morning, mainly just for the dairy though. I track my minutes in exercise daily. yesterday was 190, so that will happen 4 x week the other 3 days is about 100 minutes. It is work but in the long run it is worth it. The old saying "NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS" is so very true. i have gone from a 16/18 to a 6/8 BMIis 24 I beleive. So Hang in there, be patient and make your band work for you, don't try to work around your band.. Good luck to you all new bandsters..:mellow:

I am not sorry that I got the surgery

I am 29 years old with a 2 year old daughter..the thought of being diabetic or dying from heart failure from obesity scares the shit out of me..I am battling this daily!! I am determined to take control on my life...and if want to eat a chicken salad from burger king I will..because all week long i am following the meal plan..!!!

GGQ, I was at about the same starting place, 41 BMI, 5'3" at 240 lbs and 39 yrs old. I was nervous about the surgery, but was starting to have medical issues.

You won't be able to eat the same after the surgery, but you can still enjoy food, just less of it. There will be certain foods that you can no longer eat, but it's not worth the getting stuck and throwing up.

I have gone out to eat with no problems, I just choose food that I know goes down well, typically fish, and a lot of times I'll split an entree with my hubby.

The weight is coming off slow, its been five months and I'm down 30lbs. But, my blood sugar level is completely normal now and my energy level is good.

I would definitely do it again.

I guess thats a dumb question on a support website. But is there anyone that is sorry? Or misses food? Or isnt losing weight? Im a 40 BMI, 39 yrs old and 230 lbs at 5'3. Scared as hell. Single, 11 yr old daughter. My mother is fat phobic and the older I get the heavier I get. I need to be healthy for my child and myself - but Im afraid Ill miss food, the texture, the taste?? How do u go out for dinner with friends? How do u drink liquids for 6 weeks????? And more????

I dont recognize myself in the mirror anymore - but yet I always opt for the cheeseburger. Thats a self control issue.....will I lose weight this way? Will I be strong enough?

Anyone?????????????:mellow:

Your stats are very close to what mine were: 39 yo female 5'4", 234 pounds.

Do I miss food? Not exactly. There is really not much that I can't have now that I couldn't before, I just eat less. There are a few items I miss like pizza from a particular local restaraunt that doesn't offer thin crust or having a beer or two when DH and I go to a hockey game or a Redskins game (besides Water, there is little I can have at events like that). I have to plan ahead when we eat out, there are just a few restaraunts that no longer work for me (for example, one we went to only serves Pasta and bread-like items-foods I avoid). Sometimes when we are having a particularly delicious meal I fill up quickly but wish I could eat more. Sometimes (rarely now) I get in a rush and eat too fast then get stuck which ruins my entire meal. But none these incoveniences make me sorry I got the band. You adjust. The way I feel now far outweighs anything mentioned above.

I had a lot of food addictions. Ate fast food and sweets a lot. Once I started my pre-op diet and cut out all the processed foods and white carbs I kept that stuff out of my diet. It was hard at first but once I got it out of my system for a few days it got easier and 10 months later I rarely miss these foods. Having the band keeps the hunger away and forces me to eat my food properly. All of this made it much easier for me to deal with the self-control issues.

Edited by Jodi_620

I haven't had my surgery yet, just went today for psych evauation and was approved, now waiting on a date. I am very nervous. We have heart problems in my family along with diabeties. I was called this morning that I am a borderline diabetic, and that has put the fear of God in me. I feel like crying. So this surgery can not come fast enough for me. I am ging to work hard on losing this extra weight that I have been carrying around for 28 years. So I hope that evrything goes as I have been told about surgery.

Good luck to you and keep thinking postive.