Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sugar free or fat free?

Hello all, I have a few questions and need some advice. I was baned on the 5th of August and I had a question about ice cream. I took my kids to friendly's the other day and I wanted to have ice cream too. I ordered sugar free vanilla with sugar free hot fudge, was this a better choice, or should I have gone with something fat free? Someone told me that sugar free is not always better as it means more fat. Now I am upset with my decision and feeling guilty that I ate it. Pre-band I would have eaten a big sundae filled with Peanut Butter and hot fudge and of course not sugar free. I guess I am feeling a little guilty because in the first week I lost 21 pounds, but at almost 3 weeks, I only lost 3 more. I am an everyday scale weigher too!!! This weekend I have added back in bread and I feel guilty about that. I am starting to feel guilty about everything I eat anymore. I have been keeping my calories between 900 and 1200, which is what I was told, and for the most part no sugar. (with the exception of some foods that have it in it) Now I am getting ready to go on vacation and I am getting nervous about that, thinking OMG what am I going to eat, I have the feelings of not wanting to deprive myself from something good, but also I don't want to blow what I have accomplished in the last 3 weeks. (HELP) SO when did everyone start eating salad and shrimp after surgery? I wanted to have some shrimp this weekend, but I was scared to try it. I even ate a 1/2 of meatball and that made me feel guilty. I'm trying to stick with the things that are good for me, but then after I eat it, I question was that good for me? Can one eat too much cottage cheese? So many questions, sorry!!!! Please help!!!!

Hey....dont feel guilty for eating some sugar free ice cream. I prob would go for sugar free but really i think there all the same. You are going on vacation just go away have a good time and watch what you eat but dont feel guilty if you eat something you shouldnt eat. if you get off track dont feel bad just see it as a new day coming and get back into things again. dont get on the scales everyday hide them away and weigh yourself once a week. If you dont see the scales move then you will lose motivation like i have heaps of times. Thats why you dont get on everyday!!! Anyway i hope this info helps!!!!! Good Luck...Fee

Happygirl,

Relax, you're doing fine!! The difference between sugar-free and fat-free ice cream doesn't add up to much if you're not diabetic. It's a matter of personal taste. When I indulge in ice cream/frozen yogurt (which I do, almost daily), I usually get SOMETHING with reduced calories, but whether it's sugar- or fat-free is not something I worry about. No matter how you slice it, it's better than the large sundae with premium ice cream and three toppings!

Now, as far as shrimp and salad goes, only you can tell whether you can handle those things so soon after surgery. You probably won't have any trouble at all if you have no fill yet; this actually a great time to go on vacation. Do NOT worry about "blowing" what you've accomplished in the last three weeks!! You are just now embarking on a life-long journey of weight loss and control, and a few pounds at this stage of the game simply will not matter in the long run.

As you get adjustments and your restriction increases, you'll have no trouble dropping bread and other nutritionless foods from your routine. For now, eat and enjoy, trying to concentrate on eating the Protein first. This is a habit that will become increasingly important as time goes on so now is a great time to start.

And last, I'm not going to criticize you for weighing every day; I do it too. But you CAN'T let that number on the scale dictate how you're going to feel about yourself that day! I use the information the scale gives me as information, not as a measure of success or failure. If that's not the way it works for you, it might indeed be a good idea to step away from the scale for a while.

Have a great vacation!! :) :) :D

I'm going to hazard that you are a professional dieter. That you've tried 8 million different diets...

Okay, first off, get rid of the guilt. It isn't helping. You haven't done anything "wrong." Guilt is only useful when you've done something wrong, like hurt a child, robbed a bank or kicked a dog.

Choosing to eat something, unless you've stolen it or used it to abuse someone, cannot be a source of guilt.

The band is not a diet. The band is a new way to live. For some of us it means a huge change in lifestyle, for others of it it only requires a small adjustment. Do you really want to life to be devoide of ice cream??? I don't want to live in that world because to me, ice cream = love. Talk about your comfort foods. But you know what? I don't eat ice cream everyday. I don't even eat it every week. I was going to have some last night and I decided that I didn't want any. WHAT??? That's right, I didn't want any of the Dove ice cream. Not a single bite. I just put the pint back into the freezer and had a glass of Water in stead.

I'm not deprived, although some might thing a bit depraved, or at best touched for not choosing to eat the ice cream. The band gives me choice. It puts me in control. It takes the power away from food.

Now about that salad. Some people have no trouble eating salads while other people have all sorts of trouble. You may find you don't like shrimp anymore. I know, I know. But when you have to sit with something in your mouth while you chew it to goo you might decide that you don't like the taste or texture of something anymore. I haven't decided wether I like shrimp anymore. Just the idea that I don't like shrimp is well... weird. I also think I might like scallops, where before the band I didn't like them very much. And calamari just isn't worth it anymore. But I digress.

Meatballs might be a good choice for you, or they might not. Some folks have trouble with ground meats, while others have trouble with regular meats. For me, chicken can be very trickey, but not if I grind it up.

Go read La Madam's thread in Support for new and struggling bandsters. I think that will help too.

But stop feeling guilty! It is counter productive.

Very well said, ladies! You gals ROCK! I can't wait to be asking all sorts of advice, once I get my band!!! HappyGirl I second everything these ladies said! Enjoy that vacation! Keri

Everyone has different reasons they eat, different foods they like and don't like, different body chemisty...what I'm getting at is do what is good for you. You did a good thing in altering your choice of what ice cream you would eat, or how much you would eat....be proud of yourself for that! All these little decisions will add up to the result you want. I've been trying to act like a normal eater! They don't stress and worry about every bite they put in t heir mouth. They just make healthy choices about 80% of the time, and they don't hae 6 servings of ice cream when 1 is sufficient. It's weird, but kinda fun to act normal about food! Cindy

Sounds like you might benefit from a consultation with a nutritionist/dietician as well as a counselor that is experienced with food related issues. Your surgeon's office should be able to make recommendations.

Best wishes on getting it all worked out,

Ellen

banded for 8 days

full liquid post-op diet :-D

219/209/I dunno - not 'overweight' would be good

I always go with sugar free because then I don't get cravings later on. Sugar gives me cravings in the worse way and then I end up eating more in the long run. So a few extra fats instead of lot of sugars are always better for me.

Mae

I'm not banded yet (hopefully I will be soon), but I usually go for sugar free over fat free. It's a personal decision. I agree with all of the ladies, don't beat yourself up over eating a sugar free treat. Instead tell yourself that there was a time that you would have eaten the sugar AND the fat!!! And let yourself feel good about the fact that you are making smarter eating decisions and habits. Congratulate yourself, you've taken a huge step in managing your health and your weight. Good for you! I hope you have a great vacation. :)

Thanks guys for all of your support, I could not wait to get to my computer tonite and see the words of wisdom you all have. I feel much better and I am going to step away from the scale for now. (Atleast try) For sure while I am on vacation. I don't think those Disney Hotels have such a thing!!! (Lets hope) But again thank you very much!!! I am feeling much better!!!