Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forum, but not the band

Hi everyone,

My name is Sita. I'll be 32 in May, and I was banded almost two years ago. (April 25, 2007) My surgeon was Dr. Katkhouda at USC here in Southern California. I was 380lbs, and as of last weekend I'm 230lbs, so I've lost 150lbs so far. My surgeon says that going by statistics and averages, I will only lose another 10lbs, but I'm determined to screw up the bell curve for everyone else, and get to 180lbs. :ohmy:

I haven't participated in any WLS-specific support in the last two years. I have gone to a lot of 12-step meetings, and I have an incredibly supportive network of friends and family, so I haven't been alone. But lately I've been wanting to connect with people who are on the same journey that I am, so here I am!

I'm not sure what else to write about myself in this initial getting to know you post. I work in the legal recruiting field by day, and I'm a photographer by night. I actually just took my first self-portrait in December, and when I can find a "before" shot for contrast, I'll post it.

I look forward to meeting all of you. :lol:

Welcome! It's good to "meet" you since I started out at 405...not many people here start out as high as you and I did. Perhaps they are directed to bypass instead?

Anyway you GO losing another chunk of weight. From what I've read, the band is only limited by us. You can keep losing 3 years, 4 years, etc.

Good luck; I personally will love to watch you succeed and blaze the trail for others of us who want to lose more than the "stats" indicate!

Hi there, and thank you for the welcome! My surgeon definitely wanted me to have bypass, but I used my good old Taurus stubbornness to convince him that I should be banded. From the lessons having the band is teaching me, I know that was the right decision. Having the behavior modification of having to eat less, and eat more slowly, has made me conscious of just how very unconscious my eating was before. This is a lesson I still am working on - I'm a slow learner! :ohmy:

I can definitely testify to the band working for people as big as we were. You can totally do it!

first off congrats on the amazing weight loss. I am scheduled to be banded next tuesday at a starting weight around 350. I too felt more comfortable with lapband then bypass. My surgeon prefers lapband over bypass because he believes that once lapbanders reach goal he can breath a sigh of relief that they will most likely not gain the weight back but with bypass he is happy that a patient has reached goal but still carries a concern as to their future since they do not have restriction if they backslide.

first off congrats on the amazing weight loss. I am scheduled to be banded next tuesday at a starting weight around 350. I too felt more comfortable with lapband then bypass. My surgeon prefers lapband over bypass because he believes that once lapbanders reach goal he can breath a sigh of relief that they will most likely not gain the weight back but with bypass he is happy that a patient has reached goal but still carries a concern as to their future since they do not have restriction if they backslide.

Yep, I for sure would have been a backslider! I have my band filled pretty tightly so that I can't ever, ever eat thoughtlessly. I can't even drink a smoothie in big chugging gulps, and that's good for me.

I'll think good thoughts for you. Wishing you all the best, and nothing but success!

Hello and wecome, Sita. It is great to have another veteran bandster to share with. You have done wonderful and will certainly be an inspiration to others.

As far as making goals, I think they are what you make of them. You can always commit yourself to doing better than average, putting in the work and reaping the benefits. Above average weight loss is definitely attainable.

Congratulations on your success, you have certainly come far. I look forward to hearing more about your journey. :0)

Welcome Sita, I definitely think you will blow their minds and make your goal! Don't let them tell you what your goal will be...hence why it's called a PERSONAL goal!

Hi Sita,

Welcome to LBT! Congratulations on your weightloss!!! You've done an awesome job! My surgeon also "tried" to stir me towards bypass... and I had done my research on both surgeries and knew that Lapband is my way to go too. I will be banded on April 9th and my BMI is 67 so I have a lot to lose. My doctor's ins person tried to tell me I wouldn't lose as much with lapband... I told her "yes I will... just more slowly but in the end, I can lose just as much and have a better chance of keeping it off"... they didn't try and convince me further and he agreed to do lapband on me. My best friend had lapband surgery 3 years ago and started around 340 pds... 3 years later, she is maintaining at 145 pds and doing great! So there is no real limit on how much you can lose over time. So that blows that theory!!! You go girl!!!!

Welcome Sita. Congrats on your awesome weight loss. Don't let your Dr. try to discourage you about your goal. You will do it. It definatly has to do with the way you eat now along with the band. So when you get to your goal ask him to eat his words:laugh:Good luck on the rest of your journey. Looking forward to knowing you better.:ohmy:

Hello and wecome, Sita. It is great to have another veteran bandster to share with. You have done wonderful and will certainly be an inspiration to others.

As far as making goals, I think they are what you make of them. You can always commit yourself to doing better than average, putting in the work and reaping the benefits. Above average weight loss is definitely attainable.

Congratulations on your success, you have certainly come far. I look forward to hearing more about your journey. :0)

Thank you, Heather! I very much appreciate the encouragement and the warm welcome. :ohmy:

Welcome Sita, I definitely think you will blow their minds and make your goal! Don't let them tell you what your goal will be...hence why it's called a PERSONAL goal!

Thank you so much, Gabi! :ohmy:

Hi Sita,

Welcome to LBT! Congratulations on your weightloss!!! You've done an awesome job! My surgeon also "tried" to stir me towards bypass... and I had done my research on both surgeries and knew that Lapband is my way to go too. I will be banded on April 9th and my BMI is 67 so I have a lot to lose. My doctor's ins person tried to tell me I wouldn't lose as much with lapband... I told her "yes I will... just more slowly but in the end, I can lose just as much and have a better chance of keeping it off"... they didn't try and convince me further and he agreed to do lapband on me. My best friend had lapband surgery 3 years ago and started around 340 pds... 3 years later, she is maintaining at 145 pds and doing great! So there is no real limit on how much you can lose over time. So that blows that theory!!! You go girl!!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I don't know anyone with the band other than myself, so I don't have any reference other than the research I did before I started the process. It's so encouraging to hear about your friend! I hope that you have the same kind of total success that she is having. :ohmy:

Welcome Sita. Congrats on your awesome weight loss. Don't let your Dr. try to discourage you about your goal. You will do it. It definatly has to do with the way you eat now along with the band. So when you get to your goal ask him to eat his words:laugh:Good luck on the rest of your journey. Looking forward to knowing you better.:lol:

Ahahaha, I like that, I totally will!

You're very right about focusing on the way I eat. I find that I go in spurts. For a couple of months I rock it super hard and I'm making fresh food and exercising all the time, and then for a couple of months I get lazy and think a quesadilla will cut it. :ohmy:

Good thing it's about progress, not perfection, right?

Ahahaha, I like that, I totally will!

You're very right about focusing on the way I eat. I find that I go in spurts. For a couple of months I rock it super hard and I'm making fresh food and exercising all the time, and then for a couple of months I get lazy and think a quesadilla will cut it. :lol:

Good thing it's about progress, not perfection, right?

I Think just about everyone goes in spurts. For some it is a day or 2 some it's longer. It's human. Yes you said it "it's about progress, not perfection" I like that saying. I will have to plagiarize!:ohmy: LOL