Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could Someone Explain "Sweet Spot"

OK, I have a 10cc band. At least that is what I think I have but the PA said they could actually put more than that in if necessary so I don't know why it is called a 10 cc band. Anyway, my doctor is very conservative on fills. I thought I would finally be there after my last fill but I don't think I am. This was 3rd fill since my surgery in 9/08. I have lost 35 pounds. My problem has always been night time eating and it still is. I am basically dieting but at night I eat. And too much. Like last night. I went to my mom's after work. I ended up eating probably two cups of salad with low-cal dressing, 1.5 cups of spaghetti with meat sauce, and two slices of garlic bread. I know, why the he$$ did I eat the spaghetti and the bread. Because I could. But I thought the band would make it so I could not hold that much. I was full, but no sliming, no pb's, didn't even feel exceptionally full. Full, but not over full. Not even a little bit. What the heck is wrong with me? I don't know for sure, but I am guessing I have somewhere around 4-5cc in the band. Is that not enough for a 10cc band? Sorry if these questions seem dumb but some of you on here are so knowledgeable that I would rather feel stupid and ask and get answers instead of just not understanding.

Sweet spot is the fill at which you are limited enough on your intake of food that you are losing 2-3lbs per week from what I have read on this forum....

The sweet spot is different for everyone. Basically, when you reach the sweet spot, you should be satisfied on much less food (1/2 cup to 1 cup of food). You should also stay satisfied for 4-5 hours. Considering how much you were able to eat, I would for sure say that you are not there. A lot of doctors are conservative to allow you to slowly get used to eating the bandster way. My doctor was this way. Until you hit that spot, you are going to gave to try really hard to control your own eating. See if your doctor will schedule another fill. Also, discuss it with your doctor how much you are able to eat. After my last fill (my fifth), I was finally able to understand what people are talking about. I don't know if I am at the sweet spot, but I do finally have restriction. Call you doctor and talk to him. That is what he gets the big bucks for. Good luck!

Hey SLIM! HI!

Jetsy...they explained it pretty well. A chart in my doc's office calls it "the green zone". It's when you are adequately restricted so that you eat about 1 cup of well chewed food and stay full for up to 6 hours.

If you can't eat most foods, or can't eat at least 1/2 cup, or find yourself going for mushie or "slider" foods that don't hurt, you are too tight. If you can eat more or get truly hungry (not emotionally snacky, but really hungry) in less than 5 hours, you are not tight enough.

And I have a 14 cc band and didn't feel restriction until I was at 5.5 ccs It's even more obvious now that I have 6.25 (and it makes a HUGE difference...that's what the band is all about). So hang in there. It took me 5 fills too and I'm not in the zone yet.

Hello! Everyones sweet spot is different. My hubby and I have the 9cc band. I have 7.5cc in mine and I have great restriction. My hubby had a complete unfill so his band is empty and he has restriction. I can eat more than him, so when they say everyone is different then believe it! Good luck to you and your day is coming when you feel restriction....trust me!

I am thinking that my small uppoer pooooouch must be too BIG. I can consume a large portion of food. I thought this band was supppose prevent you from taking in more than a four ounces. This is not happening! I have had one fill. The docotr showed me the band openng and it is the size of a string! So, notusre why more fills will help.

So now I am thinking that it is becasue my new pouch is just too dang big!!!

My surgery was beginning of January 09. I lost 16 pounds right a way. Now I have lost maybe a few pounds more in a couple of months!!! And gained it back on vacation last week.

I was expecting this banding to be my forced discipline since I do not have it on my own!

Please help me understand what is going on.

I am thinking that my small uppoer pooooouch must be too BIG. I can consume a large portion of food. I thought this band was supppose prevent you from taking in more than a four ounces. This is not happening! I have had one fill. The docotr showed me the band openng and it is the size of a string! So, notusre why more fills will help.

So now I am thinking that it is becasue my new pouch is just too dang big!!!

My surgery was beginning of January 09. I lost 16 pounds right a way. Now I have lost maybe a few pounds more in a couple of months!!! And gained it back on vacation last week.

I was expecting this banding to be my forced discipline since I do not have it on my own!

Please help me understand what is going on.

how big is your band, and how much saline is in it? Until that band is tightened it is not doing a darn thing but sitting there, for most of us. Just like a belt...you can hold it loosely around your waist and not feel it. But cinch it up and NOW you've got some restriction! Same way with the band. I don't believe the band opening the doc showed you was yours. With one fill I personally had 1.5 ccs in a band that will hold 14. I did not feel ANY restriction until I had 5.5 ccs in there. Odds are your fill did nothing.