Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange noises!

This is my 1st foray into posting- please excuse if I'm in the wrong spot (someone just direct me to the correct area)!

I received my band in Sept07. To date I've lost about 70 lbs (it should be more I know but I seem to not have shed all of my former bad habits like: not exercising much, not eating all of my Protein, eating easy to go down foods which are typically carbs, etc). About 6 months ago, I realized that I was waking in the night with an acid taste in my mouth (I put myself on an acid reducer). Around Christmas time, the "taste" turned into actual regurgitation. My family commented during the holidays that they could her me burmping/belching (and I thought I was doing it SO quietly). My GP prescribed Nexium. If I don't eat/drink after about 5:30, I don't have the regurgitation issue at night. Now I am aware (when I am seated at my desk, church pew, etc) that there are squirting sounds coming from the general area above my band. The sound can be immediately after drinking or an hour or so later. I had that awful stomach virus about 3 weeks ago, and vomited and dry heaved all of one night. Since that ordeal, I've felt rather like my band area was just a bit tender (but nothing to go to the bariatric surgeon about). Last night, I had laid on one side- then rolled onto my back. I happened to run my hand over my band area and I swear I think my band was standing on edge (it flattened out after I rubbed over it. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else? I know someone is going to say "why haven't you been back to the surgeon?" Well, I was a self pay recipient, my surgeon charges $250 per visit/fill, and I have a $1000 deductable insurance policy. And stupid me, I don't know if my health insurance will even cover an upper gi assessment or not due to the band being like a preexisting condition. Your thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regardless of whether your insurance will cover it or not you need to have this addressed. You can fight with your insurance later about whether it was a pre-existing condition (if you didn't have reflux, GERD, hiatal hernia or any of these problems before you got your insurance - then to me it wasn"t pre-existing- even if you had the band before insurance - many non-banded people have these problems). You can check out all my posts on the complication forum about reflux - my problems with it - and my husband's - who eventually died from esophageal cancer due to years of reflux, GERD, hiatal hernia, etc..I just got a slight unfill today because my upper GI showed the band was too tight. This is nothing to fool around with. When you said you could hear that squirting sound - I remember my husband having that. The vomiting might have also affected your band - maybe causing a slip. That needs to be fixed. Borrow the money if you have to - or take out a loan - the banks just got billions - ask for what you need. But don't put it off, even if you start to feel better. Take care and good luck.

Band; You're welcome. Also, when you see your doctor ask for some anti-nausea meds to have around to help with the flu, etc.. so you don't throw up.

Cleo's mom- the office didn't hesitate to "work me in" for Monday morning. Good advice for the anti nausea meds to have on hand- thanks again.

Cleo's mom- I feel like such a dum dum... I've had my band since 9/07 and one would think that I would recognize whether it was too tight or not! My last fill was Sept'08 (because I felt like I was getting good restriction and just didn't need one... needless to say I had those ridiculous sounds, threw up often etc...)I'd only lost 6 lbs since last September. The Dr. was a bit perturbed with me... he said everything I reported was standard for a too tight band- he removed .8 cc and I immediately felt "right'. He said that the surrounding area would most likely be inflammed and need a recuperation period...I'll do liquids for a few days and then add back in foods. He also gave me Protonix for 30 days to help quieten and sooth everything. I can tell though that I'm really going to have to behave until some saline is put back in...those shakes are just going down way, way, way too easy!!! Thank you so much for your nudge to go to the doctor. Have a fine day.:mellow: