Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post op and loving it!!!!

I was just talking to a lady at my grandson's 1st birthday party. She had the sleeve 2 years ago and is very depressed.

She likes being thin, but she gets depressed because it was so much fun to go to dinner or lunch with friends and even though she is enjoying wearing smaller clothes, she says she wants to cry when she goes out with anyone

knowing she can't eat more than a half a cup of anything.

She had a couple of bites of pizza and a couple of bites of birthday cake and looked like she was about to cry.

I was just talking to a lady at my grandson's 1st birthday party. She had the sleeve 2 years ago and is very depressed.

She likes being thin, but she gets depressed because it was so much fun to go to dinner or lunch with friends and even though she is enjoying wearing smaller clothes, she says she wants to cry when she goes out with anyone

She had a couple of bites of pizza and a couple of bites of birthday cake and looked like she was about to cry.

It sounds like that lady needs to seek some psychiatric help for clinical depression. If I were to make a list and put down the pros and cons of getting revised to a sleeve the pros would win over by a land slide.

I've never been at a normal weight. Given the choice of only eating a 1/2 cup of food at a sitting in exchange for a healthy life and ALL that goes along with being at a goal weight, is a win-win situation for me.

That's very sad because it isn't going to change. I worried about this pre-op - was I willing to give up large portions FOREVER? the answer was yes and it is worth it if not always easy. I'm still learning to be satisfied with small amounts.

a couple bites of pizza is all you need. after that when you are full you should be able to forget about food and talk to people. she does need to get some help. :tt1:

Right but she said she was not morbidly obese. Her bmi was a 39-40 when she started out. She knows she is at a healthier weigh, but she said it's taken all the fun out of anything where there is going to be food around, watching everyone else enjoying their food.

Right but she said she was not morbidly obese. Her bmi was a 39-40 when she started out. She knows she is at a healthier weigh, but she said it's taken all the fun out of anything where there is going to be food around, watching everyone else enjoying their food.< /div>

She's in denial. A 40 BMI *is* Morbidly Obese.

Have you encouraged her to find joy in life outside of food?

Right but she said she was not morbidly obese. Her bmi was a 39-40 when she started out. She knows she is at a healthier weigh, but she said it's taken all the fun out of anything where there is going to be food around, watching everyone else enjoying their food.< /div>

What strikes me is that someone can mourn the loss of food to the point of being sad and depressed. I love to cook and bake and what I enjoy most is watching the enjoyment OTHERS have consuming it. Sure, it's nice to sit down with guests and share the meal but it's really the social occasion and being with people that makes it memorable.

She's in denial. A 40 BMI *is* Morbidly Obese.

Have you encouraged her to find joy in life outside of food?

No, I don't even know the lady. She was at my grandson's birthday party. She was related to somebody else there. I was surprised to find somebody who had sleeve surgery 2 years ago, so I was asking her some questions.

No, I don't even know the lady. She was at my grandson's birthday party. She was related to somebody else there. I was surprised to find somebody who had sleeve surgery 2 years ago, so I was asking her some questions.

Did what she say to you make you think twice about your decision to have the revision?

No, I know this is what I need to do. It might be difficult at first, but I have been living with the band for a couple of years now. I think it's more of a shock to people who first have WLS. I liked it when I had restriction and could eat what I wanted in small portions. I remember telling my daughter that eating was more trouble than it was worth. I liked being able to go for a long time and not feeling hungry.

No, I know this is what I need to do. It might be difficult at first, but I have been living with the band for a couple of years now. I think it's more of a shock to people who first have WLS. I liked it when I had restriction and could eat what I wanted in small portions. I remember telling my daughter that eating was more trouble than it was worth. I liked being able to go for a long time and not feeling hungry.

The one thing you have going for you is that you had good restriction with the band so you know how to listen to your body and adjust your eating. I had the band for 3 years and one day and could always eat as much as I wanted to. This is a brand new experience for me... a positive one. ;)

It sounds like that lady needs to seek some psychiatric help for clinical depression.

That's what I was going to say.

I really do think some people WLS as a big magic wand and think the weight will somehow magically drop off without them having to change a thing. Those people always struggle afterwards with the reality of what they've done because it just doesn't work like that.

it just seems very strange to me that an obese person is sad and depressed that she can't pig out at food fests. Heck, if I were 2 years post-op and at goal and could only eat proper portions of food, I'd be doing the happy dance daily. LOL.

I would imagine that people do mourn and have some grief at times. Maybe when they are alone at home making and eating their small portions, it's not difficult. When they are out at social occasions like parties, or Thanksgiving, etc. it's more noticeable and they feel different from everyone else.

I do remember Mac saying at the beginning it was hard. I know this lady was post op 2 years, but I am sure no matter how many years it will be for me, there will be times I will wish I could eat more. There is a difference in knowing what you need, and at times wishing things could be different.

I would imagine that people do mourn and have some grief at times. Maybe when they are alone at home making and eating their small portions, it's not difficult. When they are out at social occasions like parties, or Thanksgiving, etc. it's more noticeable and they feel different from everyone else.

I do remember Mac saying at the beginning it was hard. I know this lady was post op 2 years, but I am sure no matter how many years it will be for me, there will be times I will wish I could eat more. There is a difference in knowing what you need, and at times wishing things could be different.

As Dr. Aceves tells patients, and as experienced sleevesters will tell you, you CAN eat more than you should with the sleeve. I could easily take in 500 cal at one sitting if I sat here with a pint of ice-cream. Soft foods go down easier than hard Proteins (which I have yet to advance to). If that woman wanted to pig out on calories, she could.

I love cooking, have a passion for baking, and often entertain in my home as well as join friends out for dinner. I can't relate to that lady you met. I savor the laughs, the relaxing, and the being with people.

You're lucky!

I am glad I don't like to cook or bake or entertain. I hate making messes. That's probably why I like to go out to eat.