Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heard about PB, but what on earth is sliming?

I have been reading the other sites and I've read about PB (productive burp) which I am absolutely NOT looking forward to. However, I just read about "sliming?" What does that refer to? The person it happened to was very uncomfortable with it, so I suppose its not a pleasant experience. Just want to know what to expect...:sneaky:

Oh, sliming is this automatic action that happens if you are on the verge of vomiting... or having a PB. The saliva comes really fast to try to get the stuck object moving, only it kind of makes it worse. You'll feel yourself trying to swallow a lot. I have not PB'd yet, but have come close a few times this week after my fill on Monday. It is not fun at all... so just do your best to chew really well and go very slow... taking more time to eat is better than spending the next 15 to 20 minutes in agony.

Theres really no way to explain it. The first time it happened to me I sort of coughed, burped, vomited up small amount of Breakfast burrito out on carpet. Scared husband silly, as it was just up and out really with no warning, grossed me out. I am a girly girl and this is unacceptable to me. So it goes, it does happen less as time goes on, but get ready for some strange happenings.

Sliming is like raw egg in your mouth............. you asked :)

mad

Holy COW!!!! That sounds awful! But the way you were saying it made laugh until I was crying! I'm sure I won't feel that way when it happens to me...Thanks for filling me in:biggrin:

I sort of coughed, burped, vomited up small amount of Breakfast burrito out on carpet.

HAIRBALL, Mexican style!!! :)

It does get better. Youre at a restuarant and dont want to be bothered, you think it will pass. Sit calmly,here you go, slime time, hit floor running moving people literally out of the way, relief and you grab sink, spit, spit, and spit some more. If return to seat too early, scenario repeat!! Just wait, much drama and fun for all! Just one hoot after another for first year. Now along with your manners, you do lose the weight, thank god, at this point you deserve it.

mads

It does get better. Youre at a restuarant and dont want to be bothered, you think it will pass. Sit calmly,here you go, slime time, hit floor running moving people literally out of the way, relief and you grab sink, spit, spit, and spit some more. If return to seat too early, scenario repeat!! Just wait, much drama and fun for all! Just one hoot after another for first year. Now along with your manners, you do lose the weight, thank god, at this point you deserve it.

mads

I think I'm just going to keep tons of extra large napkins in my purse! I am absolutely NOT looking forward to that!!! :)

I have been considering the gastric sleeve. I wonder if it has the same issues.

Loved the "Hairball Mexican Style" comment Rachel! :lol:

OK, I have a sliming story for ya, kinda funny (it is now, anyway) :). We had a snow/ice storm a month or so ago. By noon, the main roads near my work looked pretty clear so I decided to go ahead and go home for lunch. (I have a dog and I like to go home and let him out midday) I did well at first but the residential streets in my neighborhood were horrendous and on my way home, just as I started to go down this ice covered hill near my house, two very stupid men on foot stepped out in front of me! I, of course breaked too heavy then turned into the curb to avoid hitting them and got a little stuck (my truck, not my band, LOL). I got out of it (with no help from the morons who caused it) and went on home to eat. The stress from driving and the anger at the stupid men had me tight. I was running late and I ate in a bit of a hurry, so the food didn't go down too well. But I ignored that gaggy feeling and rushed out the door to get back to work. And as I am driving, I start to slime. I kept trying to make it go back down but it wouldn't. I usually keep a bottle and napkins in my car but due to the weather, I was driving our 4WD pickup and had no "emergency spit kit" in it. It was not safe to pull over and the only thing that I could find in the truck was a pair of DH hunting socks...:blink:

DH still picks on me for that! Sometimes in the morning he'll get out pair of socks and jokingly peer down into them and look a me suspiciously :ohmy:

Edited by Jodi_620

Jodi what a hoot of a story!! It sounds unbelieveable until your in a tight and get desperate, i.e.its headed up and out

asap. Rushing does seem to instigate it and eating too fast from being too hungry causes problems for me.

Not sure about the sleeve, you may want to check into it though. Im at 6.4cc and sliming has slowed. I do need slight fill .3, so slime time again.........

mads

Jodi what a hoot of a story!! It sounds unbelieveable until your in a tight and get desperate, i.e.its headed up and out

asap. Rushing does seem to instigate it and eating too fast from being too hungry causes problems for me.

Not sure about the sleeve, you may want to check into it though. Im at 6.4cc and sliming has slowed. I do need slight fill .3, so slime time again.........

mads

So when you slime, do you experience nausea? That's what I hate the most. If I get nauseous, I will do almost anything to keep from throwing up. I would rather lay down and be supremely still than to feel nauseous. You would think I would just go throw up and get it over with. However, I hate throwing up just as much...Sounds like I'm in for some funny situations...:tongue_smilie:

K

Some may feel nauseated, I hate to say complete no to that question, but it sort of all happens at once, or soon after eating. Its not like morning sickness or virus vomitting.

It really must be experienced for complete understanding.

Its not scarey, just a nuiscence(sp) really. You definately wont want to lie down, it all happens pretty fast. After a few times you learn to quit/slow down on food. Small bites help also. For me, I would just wait to eat until I was really hungry and eat too fast, pretty much my fault. It has subsided, but with fill next week , not looking forward to its return. Just part of the whole banding process that was a strange surprise. No worries, youll be fine :tongue_smilie:

mad grl

So when you slime, do you experience nausea? That's what I hate the most. If I get nauseous, I will do almost anything to keep from throwing up. I would rather lay down and be supremely still than to feel nauseous. You would think I would just go throw up and get it over with. However, I hate throwing up just as much...Sounds like I'm in for some funny situations...:tongue_smilie:

I am the exact way. Nausea is the worst feeling in the world. I will do anything to keep myself from throwing up. I swear I should buy stock in Pepto Bismal. :tt2:

Although I havent PB'd yet I have had some things get horribly stuck and had some major sliming, I have never felt nausea with it though. I feel very greatful for that since when im stuck there is no way any Pepto is getting through. :thumbup:

With sliming, I don't feel nausea at first. Just a gaggy feeling like my food didn't go down. Then thick mucus starts to slowly creep up into my throat. You can not make it go back down and have to spit it out. As you spit it out more is created. I have sat and spit mucus for up to 45 minutes. Your body will keep creating it until the food gets dislodged from your band.

Now in this case I couldn't spit so I tried swallowing hard to keep it down. It built up and I was gagging on it. I had no choice, either spit it out or have it come out projectile style.

To this day I still need to get those napkins in my car this brings too many memories back LOL!!! I used nice pretty gloves in the glove box before I had no choice I hate those accidents...but it has taught me to SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!