Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling People You Are Banded?

wow this is certainly a topic that generate many different opinions and ideas. i feel that there is no wrong choice as long as you are comfortable with your decision. i am being banded in may 09 in tj. i have told my family and a few friends and am not sure how many more i will tell before or after.

Yes, you are right...there are alot of different perspectives, and that is what I was hoping for when I posed the question. It is a personal decision and each person's situation will be different.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences, I really appreciate it.

Best,

Sherri

I am a private person and chose only to tell my husband (not even my young children know), my parents & brother. The weight loss will be slow and at times nothing at all until you get fill just right. I don't want people noticing everything I put in my mouth. I have lost 22 pounds so far and no one has noticed except for the few people who know I have had the surgery. Isn't that funny??? I've gone down 2 pant sizes and no one has noticed. When people do start to notice, I am just going to say I've been eating less, eating better choices and exercising and that is not a lie. I don't think I will ever tell anymore people than the ones I have already told.

I agree with Wendy. Even if its not happening I will feel like everyone is watching me. I don't react well under that kind of pressure my knee jerk reaction is to rebel even if its to my detriment. I want to do this and feel proud of it on my own with the support of a few trusted family and friends. People I can count on not to judge or proffer to many opinions.

I am getting banded Monday March 23, and I am singing it from the roof tops. Be proud of the decision you have made to make a better YOU!!!! I know I have! :)

I understand I 'm having this problem too...I could see how it could be a good idea. But then again I really dont want to deal with the questions....I havent made up my mind yet. But I see where your coming from..Good Luck

When I get banded I plan on telling people. I don't care if people talk but that's what people do. My family and friends are so supportive of me and I'm only sixteen. I want other kids at school to know I'm banded because I'm finally doing something about my weight. Plus if I get to my goal weight, I won't care what any one says because I'll be so happy about the new me and my journey. You just have to do what you think is best for your situation. Good luck!

I am getting banded Monday March 23, and I am singing it from the roof tops. Be proud of the decision you have made to make a better YOU!!!! I know I have! :tt2:

that is so exciting, the jouney we are about to go on is transformative. i can't wait for me surgery in may. good luck. sandi

I'm like you, I told everyone who would listen or was interested. I've droped alot of weight and I get tons of support and encouragement from co-workers and friends. Plus my GF is the total best in all ways.

I've had a few people I've told or heard me talking about it ask me in private about it cause they were thinking about having it done. They said they would see how I did before getting the lapband done.

The question I've gotten the most, when people know, is do I miss any kinds of food, how many meals do I eat per day, have I ever been concerned about getting all my Vitamins and nutrients in.

It is all a personal thing and yes, before the band I hated saying anything about my weight loss, because it was always followed by weight gain and dissappointment.

I am getting banded Monday March 23, and I am singing it from the roof tops. Be proud of the decision you have made to make a better YOU!!!! I know I have! :tt2:

I couldn't agree more.

I look at it like this, My obesity is a medical condition, If I were deaf and was having an operation to correct that I would be excited and tell everyone. I refuse to hide in shame. I had a medical condition and had surgery to help fix it. If they want to talk well then %^*#$ them and the horse they rode in on.

(Wow, I don't know where all the hostility came from, but thats the way I feel)

I just started the process and won't be banded until September since my insurance requires the 6 month weight loss program... anyway, I've already started telling people... I don't really care what anybody has to say about it, it's my body and my health... so far I've gotten a few 'you don't need that, it's not like you can't walk around', lol... well if they knew my BMI was 43 then maybe they wouldn't think that way... my boyfriend is also going to do it and he's not wanting to tell anyone until afterward... he doesn't have the most supportive family and two of his friends kinda burst his bubble when he told them... my family is thrilled for me and they know how long I've struggled with this and they know me and that I wouldn't make a decision like this unless I had thought it through.

But for those people that are private and not wanting to share TMI, I totally understand... I've never been a private person so it's in my nature to blurt it out, hehe

I have told a little family and a few friends. I am not really trying to keep it a secret I just don't feel that everyone needs to know.....that being said I am sure everyone will find out sooner or later as people start to talk.

I will say one thing for keeping it quiet. I have had to be my own support system. Right now only really like 3 people know I had it done. It is very isolating. I just know that I don't want people watching everything I eat and judging me and that's what I got even when I was just talking about getting it done.

I totally wish I could talk to people about it but I just don't feel comfortable. I went through infertility under a microscope and would never do that again. That was awful. I know it sounds bad but everyone has their own journey to take. What I do love is the support from this place. I went into the chat room today and vented and it was wonderful. Thanks everyone for listening!

See less of you later LOL!

while going through all these pre operative tests and with all these appointments, i've been telling people i've been having stomach problems. so now i've told them i'm having stomach surgery (April 1, 2009). it's major surgery and my stomach is really bad. post op i'll say that eating certain foods bothers my stomach and i'm not eating much these days. and i'll be losing weight.

I have decided not to tell anyone except my daughters and husband. I just don't want to feel like they are constantly watching me and seeing if it "works". I think I would tell someone who may be a candidate for the surgery, but not my thin friends or even my mother (who would say that diet and exercise is what I need to do, not surgery). Luckily my mom doesn't live nearby, and though I love her dearly, she just doesn't get it when it comes to being obese.