Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard time deciding

I am having a hard time deciding which band to go with. My doctor said he will do whichever I want. I have been reading and can't decide. Does anybody want to sway me in their direction?

My doctor liked the port and the website support better with realize band but hasn't done one yet. I would be his first. Would that be scary or not to be first?

I am a Libra and weigh things carefully but I just don't have that tip of the scale in either direction. I need to decide this week.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I know people have been very successful with either band. Your success will depend on how well you follow the rules of eating healthy, small portions, and exercise - these are the same for either Allergan band or Realize.

I have the Realize band, banded on Dec 4th, and I have lost approx 31 pounds. I will soon be 67, and I know everyone worries about losing significant weight at my age. My doctor does both bands, and originally she offered either band to me. When it came time to make the decision, however, recommended the Realize for me. She says she has seen better results in people my age - not necessarily faster weight loss, but fewer problems with the ability to eat certain foods, fewer port problems. She also knows I am a computer oriented person and would make use of the website Realize offers. I will say I have had very good luck with this band. I am 3 1/2 months out - have lost 31 pounds. This is not esp fast weight loss, but fast is not what I am looking for. I am confident I will meet my goal, and I don't have to make it in the next 6 months! It has taken 3 fills for me to feel good restriction. 3cc, then 2cc, then 1cc - spaced 3-4 weeks apart. At 6cc for the last 2 weeks I feel nicely restricted, able to eat small portions with satisfaction. I have not had any issues with any particular food. I can eat salad vegetables, any meat, rice - all things some others have trouble with. I have avoided bread - tend to retain Water with carbs - but last week tried 1/2 sandwich on whole wheat bread. The bread tended to get stuck a little, so I probably will not have that bread again. I've had a few breads that have not been a problem.

I like the website, have tracked my foods and exercise with it early on. It has good tips and an appointment reminder that are helpful. I confess I'm not using it much in the last several weeks, but I will keep up the weight and measurement charts. It is encouraging to see the inches go away...

I think the process of applying the band is similar with either band. The port application is different with the Realize band, but that's one of the things my doctor likes about Realize. I will say the port area is painful for a longer time with Realize because of the way it attaches (as explained by the PA at surgeon's office). I still feel it if I bend over just right, but it is no longer painful.

As I said above, I believe either band will work for you as long as you follow the guidelines of banding. I think Obesityhelp.com has a comparison article you might find helpful. You can be successful with either band.

Thank you so much for all your information. I am going to do some more reading. Do you know why the realize band has a slower weight loss?

I have seen no clinical data that supports the idea that the Realize band has slower weight loss. Both bands perform around the same, so it's a matter of personal preference.

I have not seen any stats that show a slower weight loss over a period of time with Realize. I am finding my losses to be right in the middle of the losses of other people banded in December. I have a goal for myself - to be a healthy weight and have a normal BMI. I just had bloodwork done last week, and my cardiac profile is excellent, liver functions normal, blood sugar normal. I guess I am just not concerned about losing fast as long as I am losing consistently and my overall health is improving.

I have read that gastric bypass has a faster rate of loss at the beginning, but over a 5 year period the band produces weight losses that are about equal to bypass.

I'm going to be banded with a Rialize band 3/26...

When my Dr asked me if I had a preference of bands I told him I wanted him to choose the band HE felt like would be the best option for ME.

His reply was "It's like choosing Pepsi or Coke" he said that his patients tend to be hitting there sweet spot sooner with the Realize band and so far there seem to be fewer port issues....

so there you go

Success is going to be more about what you put in your mouth and how much you move your butt verses which brand of band you have.

Good luck!!!