Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EXERCISE...is everybody really doing it??

I just have a question...is everybody really exercising whole heartedly? I just cannot get motivated. I realize I need to but I am soooo exhausted after work.

Is anyone losing without exercising?

I exercise but I find when I exercise to much I am at a standstill

I mainly exercise for my heart to condition it. I have not lost much weight exercising but I definately have lost inches so all of my hard work is paying off

I just started exercising a few weeks ago. I don't enjoy it (by no means get an adrenaline rush as some people describe), but I had hit a plateau and wanted to get off it. It worked, as when I went back to the Dr last week, I'd lost 4kgs/8lbs. The weight loss has slowed a bit now for me though. I'm hoping that I'm just gaining muscle now and will lose some more soon.

I'm trying to go to the gym Mon - Fri before work. I don't make it there everyday, but I do try. I find that I just don't have the energy after work and will make excuses to get out of it if possible lol. It's beginning to be a habit for me though, which I'm thankful for.

My program (which my trainer set up), is like this:-

Monday/Wednesday - 45 min weights training:

5 min warm up on bike

2x10 of bench press on 12.5kgs

2x10 of seated row on 23kgs

2x10 of dumbbell crunches on 4kgs (each)

2x10 of fitball squats with dumbbells (4kgs each)

2x10 of leg press on 32kgs

2x10 of lunges with 4kgs dumbbells

2x20 fitball crunches (for abs)

2x20 arm/leg (opposite) lifts (for abs)

2x20 medicine ball twists (for abs)

2 min cool down on bike

stretches

Tuesday/Thursday - cardio:

15 mins free runner

15 mins exercise bike

15 mins treadmill

I can mix these up with different cardio machines if I choose, but these are the ones I like so far.

Friday - 45 min session with personal trainer; varied week to week.

Guest j. lynn

Not me. I gotta exercise.

My recommendations:

start small. Whatever you do is better than whatever you don't do. It's time to start the habit of exercising.

buy some stickers. Every day you exercise, put a sticker on the calendar. You'll begin to want to see the stickers accumulate and you'll feel proud of yourself!

jayme

I really love to exercise, and I like really hard, fast paced stuff. I used to run lots, I'm too heavy and too injured now. But my main goal in losing weight is so that I can run again - that endorphin rush is fantastic and puts me on a high for the rest of the day.

At the moment, I walk my boys to school 3 days per week, which is a 7km round trip, and I"ve been going to the gym 3 days per week - half an hour of cardio, about 40 mins of weights. We also swim one night a week as a family, I usually do about 25 laps of the 50m pool.

Trouble is all that activity just makes me hungry. My appetite just shifts up a notch so that I stay fat and if I resist and dont eat, I lose the energy to be able to exercise. I'm one of those people that's fat but also fit and healthy.

I exercise daily.

I walk my son to school (a 4km round trip, with one hellva hill on the way back) and I usually walk to pick him up.

3 days a week I jog (I used the couch to 5k program to get started, it is fantastic)

And I have just started back at the gym, doing 30 minutes on the treadmill, 15 on the xtrainer, and 15 on the exercise bike. On the days I dont run I weight train.

I am buying myself some time with a personal trainer for my birthday, so I can have my butt kicked :)

ummmm....no i havent exercised in ages now

i have being very lazy, but once im closer to getting my band i will be getting off my butt and going to the gym and prob swimming

I started walking a few weeks before I got my band . . . that 'healthier me' switch had already gotten flipped! I was up to 2 miles the day before my surgery. Well, I am 1 week out now and managed to walk 3/4 of a mile last night. I sleep better on the nights that I walk and it sure does help get that gas outta the way! Oh, and I am 2 pounds down from surgery date a week ago.

Ellen

banded for a week

full liquid post-op diet - still :-P

219/209/I dunno - not 'overweight' would be good

Preop-I used to play tennis twice a day and pilates twice a day plus I walked a lot.

However, post op - even tho I am eating solids right now, I'm just so not motivated and I feel weak, I feel lazy. Lifting something heavy (like groceries) make me dizzy (tho I think I'm just being lazy-I avoided doing hard physical work using the op as an excuse). I started dancing (lower impact) hopefully this will work and help me get into more intense things...I'm looking forward to doing tennis and pilates again in a few weeks. Luckily I still lose weight (I think it's because I used to binge up to 3000 calories before I had operations so eating slightly over 1000 calories is working for me even without exercise).

after years of going to the gym to do both cardio exercise and weight lifting, i can't take it anymore! so thumbs up for those who are very motivated in their exercise program! keep it up!

I didn't start exercising until 6 months out and about 40 lbs down. Jayme's right, whatever you DO do is better than nothing. Don't beat yourself up, but DO try to get moving in some way. It will definitely get easier as you lose weight.

I have a personal trainer come in at least once every two weeks to motivate me. I try to walk every morning for at least 10 min sometimes longer. You just gotta move your body if it is nothing but for 10 min a day. THat is better than nothing.

Hi everyone. I walk one mile every other evening. Not banded yet, my surgery is on Sept. 19,

Great thread! If I may, I'll throw my two cents in the pot. I am currently brisk walking 1-2 hours/day. I was banded exactly two weeks ago and I would love to start doing some light weight lifting. Maybe after my post op follow up next week. I have small goals set out and one of them is to start jogging after I drop 20 more lbs. I have my eyes set to run The Cowtown 10k in Febuary! I believe that setting small goals like these really give you something to shoot for and to really go for it! Motivation is the key to all achievements!!!!! I find myself using alot of mental imagery of what I want to achieve.

Ray

8/9/05

Dr. Snow

Fort Worth, TX

280/261/180