Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro, a few questions and random thoughts

Hello,

This is actually my first post on this forum. However, I lurk quite often. A little about myself. I am a 24 year old female/wife/mother of a 2 year old. I am scheduled to have the band placed 3/20/09. I am scared. Part of me feels selfish for doing this. I keep thinking that if something goes wrong my daughter will be left without a mother. I have attempted for years to drop the weight only to fail. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and am worried that the band might make things worse. It is scary not knowing how things might turn out. I know that I do need to drop the weight. I know that most individuals on here were placed on a liquid diet before surgery. My doctor has not placed me on a particular diet, just Clear liquids 48hrs prior to surgery. I have been attempting on my own to drop weight before surgery in order to shrink my liver. However, I always manage to sabotage myself and say " I will try again tomorrow". I have 5 days before surgery. If I attempt all liquids before surgery will it make my liver a bit smaller?

Hello there

I was nervous before I had my band..I have a 2 year old daughter and I had the surgery because I want to live to see my daughter grow up..I have family history of diabetes and high cholesterol..so those are even more an incentive to lose weight

I have lost 18 lbs and to be honest with you start out by drinking Water..then Protein shakes because once the have the surgery they want to hydrated..take your Multivitamin & Calcium 1000 mg daily supplements..Walking with your child is good exersize..I go walking and now i go swimming at YMCA..I

Good luck and listen...you are making the right choice...

Hi I'm 24 as well and was banded on march 11th. I dont have any kids but i was afraid of what might happen to me while under the knife. My experience hasn't been what i thought it would be. I thought i would have lost more weight by now considering i've been working out and eating a whole lot less. How much weight have you lost so far? I'm going in for my first fill on April 13th so i hope that things will pick up after that:redface:

i was also banded on march 20,2009. I too have children a 13 yr old, and a 20 month old. i felt i needed to do this for them. i want to see them grow and thrive, and i realized that if i didn't have this surgery then i may not live to see all the wonders in their lives. I have a family history of heart disease, high cholestrol and diabetes. I am already pre diabetic, have high cholestrol and have very high triglycerides. this is my journey to a long healthy life.

good luck!!

amy

wow gamyj 14lbs is great! Are you seeing a difference in your cloths already? What have you been eating? My doctor has had me on a low carb low sugar high Protein diet but i'm finding this really hard because while i can cut out bread and rice I hate having to spend 3 hours in the grocery story because i have to read the back of everything! I've been working out with it too and have lost about 10 lbs but i cant really see the difference. :thumbdown: I'm a little discouraged. When do you go in for a fill?

Beenee....I would guess you haven't lost a ton of weight yet because you haven't had your first fill. From what I have read on here...that makes a big difference! Don't get discouraged...you haven't had the band very long. The first few weeks...you don't have anything in the band...you are just getting your stomach used to having the band on. I bet after that fill...it will be better for you! I don't have the band yet...not until June...but from all the reading and researching I have done....I think what I am telling you is right! Any bandster want to chime in?

My story is I am raising my two grandkids...it is scary to have surgery...but for me...it is more scary to NOT have it!

hi! thanks very much, for some reason i expected more tho. I guess ive read some other peoples numbers. I haven't seen any difference in my clothes yet really. we keep joking that im losing in my feet and hands etc... lol. I'll be glad when i notice. my doc didn't put me specifically on a low carb diet or anything, but it seems to be working out that way. I eat alot of Protein, and im having trouble getting enough fruits and veggies, but i do take a Vitamin. i feel like it'll be easier when i can eat a regular meal, right now everything is mushed up. I have been eating every 2 to 3 hours. I eat 4oz of food at a time, and im satisfied.if i eat more i get nauseated. I go for my first fill on may 6, but im concerned because i can only eat 4 oz at a time. I don't think i want to eat less than that, and i can eat everything without a problem. well see when i talk to the doctor.

how many grams does ur doc concider low carb? I think it was like 15 per meal and 7 per snack? that may work for u. I know lean meat and veggies will fall in the range of low carb. I'll try and think of some stuff for u, I'll get back to u.

amy

wow gamyj 14lbs is great! Are you seeing a difference in your cloths already? What have you been eating? My doctor has had me on a low carb low sugar high Protein diet but i'm finding this really hard because while i can cut out bread and rice I hate having to spend 3 hours in the grocery story because i have to read the back of everything! I've been working out with it too and have lost about 10 lbs but i cant really see the difference. :thumbdown: I'm a little discouraged. When do you go in for a fill?

I'm supposed to have like 25g a day of Carbs no more. That has been really hard for me considering if i eat low carb Cereal with skim milk that is pretty much my carbs for the day. I have had to completely cut out bread. But i did find these wheat tortillias that i put everything on. They are only like 5 carbs so i can make all types of fajitas and wraps. I cant see the weight loss in my cloths but people have said my face looks smaller. Personally i think they are just saying that, but whatever. FOr the first 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery (march 11) i couldn't eat much, about the same as you 4 oz. But now that everything is healed i can eat more which is why I have the fill on April 13, 2009. My boyfriend claims he can tell ive lost weight but once again i think that he's trying to be incouraging because he knows i'm getting a little discouraged. I've just heard of so many other people droping weight quicker immediatly after the band. I started at about 5'7 230 and now i'm 220. I'll keep you posted on the fill!

I posted today but I wanted to say that I feel like 8cc is alot in general..I' ve read other posts and like what I have is alot..I know everyone is different but still and all...