Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really scared in Virginia!

Hi, everyone! My name is Ann, and I'm a newbie from Northern Virginia, just outside of Washington DC. I'm just starting this process and have just found your wonderful site. I'm scared to death of what I'm getting into with WLS, yet I'm also scared about what could happen if I don't do it!

I have 115 pounds to lose, and I have a darling little 4-year-old son who I can no longer keep up with. I have fibromyalgia, and the pain is constant. I need to get this weight off for me, for my health, and for a life with my son.

I've had the first appointment with the surgeon, and he says I definitely qualify with a BMI of 41 and several comorbidities (fibro, PCOS, GERD, arthritis, history of breast cancer, MVP, chronic fatigue syndrome). The nurse has called my insurance company and they have said they do cover WLS, but now I have to jump through all of the hoops. So far, I've had the 2-hour consult with the psychologist. This week, I meet with the dietician, have my PCP physical, and follow up with my oncologist for her approval. I've gotten records of my weight loss attempts from Weight Watchers for the past 2 1/2 years, and I hope that will satisfy my insurance requirements. Then I sit and wait for approval.

I'm so frightened that I won't be able to keep this off, just like the umpteen times I've been successful at WW and then gained every pound and more back again. I have a terrible sweet tooth, and the surgeon has warned me that people who like sweets are the ones who are most likely to put the weight back on. I'm afraid of all the restrictions on this diet. I've heard people say that WLS is the easy way out. Ha! It's the hardest thing I've ever heard of! That's why I'm so frightened.

Just curious, is there anyone out there who successfully lost weight and overcame their addiction to sweets with this WLS?

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to getting to know people here as I start my journey. I know I can do this. I think I just need a little boost of confidence and maybe some hand-holding right now! :)

Peace,

Ann

Hi, Ann!

My name is Rachel. I'm a neighbor of yours kind of...I'm up here in York, PA...but work in Baltimore, Rockville, et cetera. I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum.

I know all of the fears you have right now. I have been right there in your chair saying the same things to myself. This is a scary venture. This is hard. You are altering your body... you are giving up many yummy things, but....... your attitude can also change from it, the whole way you look at food... your relationship with food.< /p>

I am and will always be a sweet fiend. I can smell sugar a mile away. I just always needed it... always! But now, I'm happy to say that I look at things differently now with the band. I'm not going to say I'm perfect and have eaten only healthy food, but I follow the rules of the band, and it keeps me from going wild. Yes, I've eaten Cookies. Yes, I've had ice cream. What's different though is that I have more control over myself. One cookie now once or twice a week, as compared to a box of cookies four or five times a week in the past... to me, that's a big improvement.

If you've done all of your research and have gotten your questions answered to your satisfaction, and you really believe the band is right for you, then now you just have to conquer your fear of yourself. You have to learn how to trust yourself again. You have to believe that you can and will do what's right for your body at all costs. You can do this! You can quiet those negative thoughts that make you think you will fail. I don't miss those thoughts any more than I miss the soda or the bread or the doughnuts.

I wish you all the best!

Hi, Rachel. Thanks for replying! I laughed when you said you can smell sugar a mile away. I am the same way! Congratulations on how much you have lost -- and how much insight and self control you have gained! You are certainly an inspiration for me. You are so right -- I have to trust myself. Thanks so much for your kind words of wisdom. :)

Peace,

Ann

Hello from Fredericksbrug/King George

:) Hi, niterun! And congratulations on your surgery last week! I hope you are doing well and feeling fine.

Peace,

Ann

Hi SpideyMom,

I was in your shoes not very long ago. Had did all the research but was very nervous about making the final committment. In June of '08 I began taking Metformin for diabetes three tablets a day and testing my blood sugar 3x a day. That was the final straw...I knew I had to do something or I was gonna just keep on getting larger and the diabetes would get worse.

Six weeks after surgery, I was off all diabetes meds.

I'm happy to say I was banded 11/18/08 and have no regrets. I'm down 38.5 lbs.

You must remember the Lap Band is not a fix all..it's a tool...a tool to help you stay on track. IF you work with it by eating well, exercising and doing what your physician advises, you will do great!!!

I'm more a salt eater...chips and dip are my downfall. I still eat chips and dip...just fewer. I've had two fills since surgery. I don't have the cravings I once had.

Good luck...we are here for you thru this journey.

Hello and welcome!! Congrats on the start of your journey. I was banded in DC in January.

There are things that you will miss but when you get on the scale and the weight seems to disappear it will all be worth it.

People are right this is a tool, and its a great gift that you are giving yourself. There are things that I look at (for me- PoppySeed Pastries- OMG- Soooooo yummy) but then I think how sick I would be if I ate one. That keeps my mind off of anything like that.

But stick with it- nothing to be scared of. You can do this- we are all in this together! :)

Hi Ann,

I just had the band placed on March 9, 2009. I went through many of the things you are going through right now. I was scared to death, but I was more scared to die. I was put on blood pressure recently, and I recently found out that my throid has burned out, so that made me gain more weight. I was told that I have sleep apnea, and was told to sleep with a bipap machine. I was staring death in the face, and I didn't like it. This work week has been the hardest, so hard in fact, that I had almost talked myself into going to my Doctor to tell him I wanted it reversed. However, with prayer, the help of my kids and family, and keeping a journal, I have gone over the hump. I am still on Clear Liquids, and when I get the cravings, I just remind myself that I don't want to hurt myself, or make myself sick. I only have to look at my kids, and that keeps me on track. I will see my doctor for my one week check up on Wednesday, and I can't wait to start on full liquids. They also gave us a bariatric cookbook when we left the hospital (there were 6 of us who had surgery on the same day, by the same doctor). Some of the receipes sound really good, and I am looking forward to trying them. They even have deserts in there!!!!

Good luck to you, and keep in touch.

Bren

I just got my referral from tricare prime and I going to the information seminar on Wed. What else can I expect from this point on? I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Any information on Tricare approving the band??

Hi SpideyMom,

I was in your shoes not very long ago. Had did all the research but was very nervous about making the final committment. In June of '08 I began taking Metformin for diabetes three tablets a day and testing my blood sugar 3x a day. That was the final straw...I knew I had to do something or I was gonna just keep on getting larger and the diabetes would get worse.

Six weeks after surgery, I was off all diabetes meds.

I'm happy to say I was banded 11/18/08 and have no regrets. I'm down 38.5 lbs.

You must remember the Lap Band is not a fix all..it's a tool...a tool to help you stay on track. IF you work with it by eating well, exercising and doing what your physician advises, you will do great!!!

I'm more a salt eater...chips and dip are my downfall. I still eat chips and dip...just fewer. I've had two fills since surgery. I don't have the cravings I once had.

Good luck...we are here for you thru this journey.

Hi, Hockeyson! Thanks for your reply. You have given me a lot of encouragement because I have been on Metformin for PCOS/insulin resistance for 8+ years now. I would love to get off of it and many of the other meds I have to take just to function every day! I'm glad to hear you are doing so well with the band. I really appreciate you sharing part of your story! :)

Hello and welcome!! Congrats on the start of your journey. I was banded in DC in January.

There are things that you will miss but when you get on the scale and the weight seems to disappear it will all be worth it.

People are right this is a tool, and its a great gift that you are giving yourself. There are things that I look at (for me- PoppySeed Pastries- OMG- Soooooo yummy) but then I think how sick I would be if I ate one. That keeps my mind off of anything like that.

But stick with it- nothing to be scared of. You can do this- we are all in this together! :)

Hi, Kelly! :seeya:Thanks for your words of wisdom. It is nice to know there is a group of people out there and we are all in this together. That really helps relieve my fears!

Hi Ann,

I just had the band placed on March 9, 2009. I went through many of the things you are going through right now. I was scared to death, but I was more scared to die. I was put on blood pressure recently, and I recently found out that my throid has burned out, so that made me gain more weight. I was told that I have sleep apnea, and was told to sleep with a bipap machine. I was staring death in the face, and I didn't like it. This work week has been the hardest, so hard in fact, that I had almost talked myself into going to my Doctor to tell him I wanted it reversed. However, with prayer, the help of my kids and family, and keeping a journal, I have gone over the hump. I am still on Clear liquids, and when I get the cravings, I just remind myself that I don't want to hurt myself, or make myself sick. I only have to look at my kids, and that keeps me on track. I will see my doctor for my one week check up on Wednesday, and I can't wait to start on full liquids. They also gave us a bariatric cookbook when we left the hospital (there were 6 of us who had surgery on the same day, by the same doctor). Some of the receipes sound really good, and I am looking forward to trying them. They even have deserts in there!!!!

Good luck to you, and keep in touch.

Bren

Hi, Bren! I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough week. :) From what I've heard, it seems like the beginning is the worst. Hang in there -- hold onto your faith, your children, your family, and you will get through. Even if you have to just focus on one hour at a time. You gave me such a great idea of keeping a journal!

That cookbook you got sounds fantastic. I go to see the dietician tomorrow, and I hope I get something like that! I don't cook much -- my husband does -- and we definitely need some healthier recipes!

Hang in there, and keep us updated on your progress. :scared2:

I just got my referral from tricare prime and I going to the information seminar on Wed. What else can I expect from this point on? I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Any information on Tricare approving the band??

Hi! Sorry, I don't have any info on Tricare, but I'm sure if you ask at the seminar, they should be able to help you. I asked about my insurance at the seminar I attended (in Arlington) and they were very helpful. Good luck to you! :)

Hello from another Virginian - but from the other end of the Commonwealth. The way I tell people to find me is to first ask them if they know where Bristol is. If they say yes then I say "Well then keep going WEST!" Yes there is land in Virginia past Bristol. :sneaky:

I was just banded this past Friday. I'm at the very beginning of my journey. At this point I'm very happy. The swelling in my belly is going down, the pain is less and less every day and I'm just not all that hungry!

To be where I want to be means I have about 150 pounds to loose. For me, being my age it will be a little harder to do. But no one has ever been as determined as I am to get rid of it. I've got a lot of living ahead of me and I plan on making the best of it.

I can understand being scared. The main thing is to have some really good support. Family or friends or even here if need be.

I've learned a lot here in such a short time. Someone is always willing to step up and give some really great advice.

Congratulations on your decision on becoming a "bandster".