Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for my band twin - 3.25.09

Here's a funny one: I got banded at 0700 on 3/26, but I am stationed in Italy, so that means it was midnight Central US time - so that puts me on 3.25.2009 too... depending how you count. Anyway - my kids (five of them) are all scared because I am not eating. Neighbors made dinner and Breakfast so I don't have to, which was nice - but honestly, I am just scared. Am I eating the right stuff? liquid and mushy? Are Ramen noodles mushy enough (no, I didn't eat them, just curious). Yesteray (the day after my surgery) I went home. All I ate for the entire day was 1 cup of tea and 1 small yogurt (both from the hospital before I was discharged), 1 small orange slushy, 1 baby yogurt, 1 oz. fresh buffala mozzerella with basamic vinegar and olive oil (I did say I live in Italy), and a couple glasses of ice tea. Is this similar (in volume, not in actual diet) that the rest of you are eating this close to having your surgery done? My stomach seems fine, though still having what feels like heartburn coming in waves - doctor said that is normal and will go away in 2 weeks or so. I go in on Sunday to have the dressing changed (one 1 small incision), then next Friday for a follow-up. How are the rest of you doing?

Hi Rachel, glad you are felling well, it sounds to me like you need more Protein, the vinegar and oil just dosent seem like a good idea either but I could be wrong. what about Protein shakes?

i agree, you could probably use more Protein.

i've been living on:

* Protein shake (1 per day for my first week post surg)

* strained Soups

* yogurt smoothies

* crystal light

* sugar free Jello

my doc also has me eating 1 chewable Vitamin a day. after next wednesday, i get 2 Protein shakes a day. i can't wait for day 15 when i can actually have "food" (hummus, thin oatmeal, etc).

how is everyone else doing?

Hi Everyone, I am home and feeling pretty good. Still on clear liquid diet but tomorrow I get to start full liquid. This afternoon I lost all my energy and feel kinda lousy...did this sudden energy loss happen to anyone else?:tongue_smilie:

Hunzi, sorry to hear that your surgery was delayed. I hope you are feeling better.

Hi Everyone, I am home and feeling pretty good. Still on clear liquid diet but tomorrow I get to start full liquid. This afternoon I lost all my energy and feel kinda lousy...did this sudden energy loss happen to anyone else?:thumbup:

Hunzi, sorry to hear that your surgery was delayed. I hope you are feeling better.

Hi Annie, glad you are feeling well, I go through spurts of energy and then crash. Had a hard time sleeping last night too with some anxiety issues:rolleyes:

my stomach is making sounds i never thought possible wth???

also, Im still pretty dizzy, hope that wears off, my husband goes to work tommorow and Im on my own with 3 boys:ohmy:

Well, I made it through the weekend. No throwing up, no dizziness. I did get dehydrated yesterday (nasty headache), but otherwise everything is good. What I would like to know is what you are all eating? My Italian doctor, Dr. Favretti, has not given me anywhere near the restrictive diet the rest of you have. There was no pre-op diet, the post-op diet says NOTHING about Protein, and does include mushy oatmeal, soft eggs, even very soft (and well chewed) pasta! I don't want to mess up - but I don't want to kill myself either. The Italians do not have Protein Shakes - but the American military commissary did, so I bought some 20g protein Slim Fast shakes... how do I know what I really SHOULD be eating with the very different information the different doctors give out?

here's roughly what my doc said. i hope this helps:

day 1 through 14:

7 cups of fluids / 900 cal / 55 grams Protein

examples of liquids:

pulp free juices

Water

tea

blenderized, strained Soup

low fat milk

Protein Drink

crystal light

1/2 popsicle

SF Jello or pudding

day 15 though 27 (thin purees)

7 cups of fluids/ 1025 cal / 75 grams Protein

after drinking a Fluid, wait 15 minutes (or more) before eating

after eating, wait 45-60 minutes before drinking

examples of food:

diet snapple (tea)

very thin cream of wheat with low fat milk

pureed fruit

Protein drinks

pureed Lean Cuisine-type meals, including meat, starch, veg

pureed meatrunny whipped potatos with margarine or melted cheese

pureed peas or carrots etc

hummus

pureed refried Beans with cheese

yogurt

SF Jello or pudding

Is anyone else finding it weird not to be eating, I make dinner for the family and watch them eaat and must admit it's depressing.:biggrin:

Also, I have a lot of redness around my port incision, how about you guys?

I hope everyone is well. I went for a post-op yesterday and was horrified with the black guck that comes out of the incisions:ohmy: but was told it was normal

Ive lost 7 pounds, was hoping for more but I know that is still a lot especially for my BMI:closedeyes:

I got banded on 3-27-09 after 2 failed starts. I had a bad respiratory infection, and then my salivary gland swelled up!! But finally 3-27-09 was a success!!!! This is day 5, and doing great. I am on Clear Liquids still, I am having a hard time getting my routine meds down. I have to crush them and they are discusting with everything i take. No episodes of N/V. Hope all the March lap banders are doing great too!

Is anyone else finding it weird not to be eating, I make dinner for the family and watch them eaat and must admit it's depressing.:biggrin:

Also, I have a lot of redness around my port incision, how about you guys?

I hope everyone is well. I went for a post-op yesterday and was horrified with the black guck that comes out of the incisions:ohmy: but was told it was normal

Ive lost 7 pounds, was hoping for more but I know that is still a lot especially for my BMI:closedeyes:

i guess every doc/hospital does it differently huh? i go for my post-op appt next tues (which is day 14). then i see the doc around day 28.

i can't tell if my port is red or not because i have to keep it covered 3 more days. my 4 incisions have that glue stuff on them which is starting to come off, so the incision are red there, and have a little dried blood.

are you on full liquids for 14 days? i am. it's about killing me LOL. :cool2:

Im going crazy with the liquids

:smile2:

I have really BAD Diahrhea since Ive been home from the hospital and it's not getting better, how about you guys???

normally (pre surg), i had awful IBS. but since surgery, yes, i have had a few bouts with Ms. Rhea (diarhea - LOL). no normal stools yet.

Hey almost twins!

I'm banded! Yeah!!!

Everything went great. I feel really good.

I told my surgeon if I had known I was supposed to feel this good, I would have rated my pain a lot higher the first time, and would have never left the hospital without insisting something was wrong that first day.

I stayed in the shospital overnight, and my surgeon wouldn't let me have anything but swabs for my mouth until I had an upper GI the next morning to be sure everything was ok.

She came down and supervised the upper GI, and it all looked great.

I feel great overall. I do have a little rotten heartburn. I'm taking Pepcid Complete, hopefully it will resolve soon. Other than that, I'm not having much pain, I'm not even taking any medication during the day today. Although I'm starting to rethink that for now. ;-)

Always ;-)

Hunzi

awesome hunzi ! :scared2: congratulations ! are you doing full liquids for 2 weeks?

My surgeon believes in "starve 'em into submission". ;-)

I'm on clears for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks of full liquids/pureed/mushies (nothing with more texture than baby food), then week 5, I get to have soft Proteins and other very soft foods and transition to solid Proteins.< /p>

For rachaele1, here's what I'm allowed:

liquid Diet 1-2 weeks post op

clear broth or Soup (no veggies, meat or poultry)

Protein powders (soy , whey)

sugar free Carnations Instant Breakfast

Non-fat powdered milk

Skim Milk or 1%

SF popsicles

SF Jello

SF, Non-Carbonated drinks or Water less than 5 calories/serving

drinkable yogurt - low fat, SF

pureed Foods 3-4 weeks post op

Slightly textured foods, consistancy of baby food.

Eat pureed Protein rich foods first then veggies, and fruits

Pureed skinless chicken or fish

Cooked Pureed veggies

Low fat or fat free yogurt

Low fat Cottage cheese

Low Fat Ricotta cheese

Vegetarian Fat Free Refried Beans

Low Fat Cream Soups

Mashed potatoes w/ no milk or butter (not a good source of protein)

Soft Foods - 5 weeks post op

Very tender cooked foods, cut into tiny eraser sized pieces and chewed well

eggs or egg subsitute

Fish (tuna, shrimp, white fish, crab)

chicken (white meat, skinless)

Turkey (white meat, skinless)

Lean Beef (round or loin, ground beef >90%lean)

Lean Pork (tenderloin)

Low Fat Deli meats

Beans

Peanut Butter (use sparingly)

I'm having a lot of chicken broth warmed up with a scoop of Any whey Protein powder (17g protein), and I have lots of ready to drink Protein Drinks, Labrada Lean Body chocolate Ice Cream, whey Up berry, Isopure Green Tea, Isopure Lemon Black Tea, CytoSport Tangerine, CytoSport Watermelon, New Whey Protein Bullets fruit Punch, and a few protein powders, IDS Multi Pro Whey Belguim chocolate, and a few samples left over from my Protein Sampler pack from last June.

Yeah, it's overkill, but I didn't want to get cranky because I was tired of drinking the same thing all the time, 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post op, so LOTS of flavors. What I don't use in the first 2 weeks, I'll use just to supplement proteins, and my DH is planning to have a band done too, so he'll use them too.

I discovered during my recuperation from last year that the unflavored Protein Powder (I use Any Whey) is awesome! I'd mix it into whatever soup I was having and get a nice protein boost.

Just remember, your major goal for the next 4-6 weeks is to allow your stomach to heal around the band. If you don't stress it, you'll really reduce your chances of a slip later on.

Ok, that's information overload!

Always ;-)

Hunzi

here's a recipe to try for weeks 3-4. sounds good.

"LASAGNA"

In a Cereal bowl put a layer of low fat ricotta cheese at the bottom of the bowl

Add a layer of spagetti sauce (use Barilla as it's a lower sugar one)

Sprinkle garlic power and grated parmesean cheese on top of sauce

Add a layer of shredded low fat mozzarella cheese

Microwave on a low setting just to heat through and melt the cheeses