Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone reached their max fill level before the 1 yr mark?

I just don't understand what happens when you are filled to the max....do you stop losing then? I am currently at 8.6cc in a 10cc band, my last fill was on January 9 and I was banded on Sept 22, 2008. With 6 months still to go before my 1 yr bandiversary, I am concerned that I will run out of room for fills long before the 1 yr mark. Just wondering what happens when you reach that point and concerned I will stop losing when I do reach it. Any help is appreciated!

I think this is a very good question and hope you get lots of good answers.. I have 8 cc's in a 14 cc band and am still not at my sweet spot.. I feel some restriction in the mornings, but it always eases away... I don't eat much in the mornings because of this, but then get hungry by noon and overdo..... I've had a good weight loss so far, but have so far to go that I do worry if I'll ever find the perfect spot and if I can make it to my goal... So, I'll wait for some good advice from others more knowledgeable than us... Best of luck to you... Julie

I don't know the answer to this, just trying to think it through. You lose weight because you take in less calories than you use. Restriction makes that easier, but it doesn't "cause" it. The food choices you make cause it. You can easily take in excess calories by, say, drinking only Chick Fil A Cookies and Cream Milkshakes all day. As long as liquid will go through your band (and that doesn't take a big opening) you'll gain. You'll have nutrition issues, but you'll gain. SO, you will stop losing when you consume more calories than you use.

Having said that, if you remember what the band looks like uninflated, and then look at it inflated, and see the size of the opening....it's pretty small. Imagine that opening, (fully filled) and then place your stomach INSIDE that. That does NOT leave much of a hole for food to get through.

This leads me to think that as you get tighter, it is more an issue of food selection than the band. For example I have 6.25 ccs in my 14 cc band. I can eat nachos until the cows come home. Judging by them I have NO restriction. But I had roast last night and had to chew that for a LONG time...small bites, very carefully. It didn't take much to fill me up.

I guess if I get to "almost" 14 ccs in my 14 cc band and could still eat roast like I can eat nachos (or those milkshakes) then I would think something is wrong...either the band is misplaced (surgeon error) or it leaks and they aren't telling me. Because it's just physics...you can't put something bigger through an opening that's smaller, unless that something bigger is very elastic and pliable.

Just my thoughts on the matter, but I think my reasoning is sound. :thumbup:

I was worried about that too. I got my last fill about a week ago, I was 7cc and got a fill to 7.5 cc in a 10cc band. I hear people say over and over it only takes a tiny amount in the band for you to feel restriction and boy were they right!!! Just a .5 cc put me right to me sweet spot, if not a little tighter...I can eat solids just fine but in 4 bites im completely full, whereas before with 7cc's I could still eat almost a cup of food at once. I'm not even hungry anymore, it's made a huge difference, just hope it will last a little while. So I think as we get closer and closer to that "sweet spot" it only takes just a tad for adjustments.

I was worried about that too. I got my last fill about a week ago, I was 7cc and got a fill to 7.5 cc in a 10cc band. I hear people say over and over it only takes a tiny amount in the band for you to feel restriction and boy were they right!!! Just a .5 cc put me right to me sweet spot, if not a little tighter...I can eat solids just fine but in 4 bites im completely full, whereas before with 7cc's I could still eat almost a cup of food at once. I'm not even hungry anymore, it's made a huge difference, just hope it will last a little while. So I think as we get closer and closer to that "sweet spot" it only takes just a tad for adjustments.

Yeah, I think you are right that the closer you get to the sweet spot, the less fill volume it takes. I'm just getting panicky that I will be completely filled before I have lost all the weight I want to lose. I am hoping also that the fills I have from now on will keep lasting me a few months like this last one has. I'm beginning to be able to eat a little more each week...for the past several weeks, so I think it'll be time for a fill within the next month or so. Thanks for all the good answers...best of luck to you all!!!

Hi, I was concerned about this, too. I am 8cc's out of 10 right now, was banded only a few days before you, 9.18.2008. I am suddenly needing a fill, too, as I can eat a lot more. That is OFTEN because fat around that area of the stomach has reduced and the pouch feels larger (or so I am told, hopefully I am getting the vocab down right.)

NO ONE in the clinic I went to is 100% filled, no liquid can get through. Do you have the Realize band (it holds 10cc's that's why I'm asking) There is a tiny minority that is within a hairsbreadth of 10cc's, but no one is on record (as far as she knew and definitely not at their clinic) as being 100% filled.

Well, hopefully I was able to repeat what I'd learned clearly enough to be understood.

I just don't understand what happens when you are filled to the max....do you stop losing then? I am currently at 8.6cc in a 10cc band, my last fill was on January 9 and I was banded on Sept 22, 2008. With 6 months still to go before my 1 yr bandiversary, I am concerned that I will run out of room for fills long before the 1 yr mark. Just wondering what happens when you reach that point and concerned I will stop losing when I do reach it. Any help is appreciated!

Losing it,

I asked my surgeon that exact question because I too was worried about that.she said it is very rare and does not really happen and that I had nothing to worry about.So I'm trying not to worry about that..................:) I've only had 2 fills scheduled for my third this tues and I have very little restriction also,I'm hopping this third fill will do the trick to jump start my weightloss again!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!:)

I am concerned about this too. I had no hunger after 3 fill until about 6 weeks ago. I got a 4th fill to bring me up to 7cc's in a 10cc Realize band. I have some restriction, but still hunger! I really have not lost any weight since the liquid diet post surgery! Even though I started excercising - a Spin class! I have lost some inches, but no weight. I am afraid I will "max out" my band before that happens!

I am worried about this same thing. I am at 8.6cc in my 9cc realize band. I had good restriction, and then had a sticking episode, and have been loose since. I had a fill of .2cc two weeks ago, and it did nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to get to my max and I'm only 9 mos out from surgery. Then what!

I don't know the answer to this, just trying to think it through. You lose weight because you take in less calories than you use. Restriction makes that easier, but it doesn't "cause" it. The food choices you make cause it. You can easily take in excess calories by, say, drinking only Chick Fil A Cookies and Cream Milkshakes all day. As long as liquid will go through your band (and that doesn't take a big opening) you'll gain. You'll have nutrition issues, but you'll gain. SO, you will stop losing when you consume more calories than you use.

Having said that, if you remember what the band looks like uninflated, and then look at it inflated, and see the size of the opening....it's pretty small. Imagine that opening, (fully filled) and then place your stomach INSIDE that. That does NOT leave much of a hole for food to get through.

This leads me to think that as you get tighter, it is more an issue of food selection than the band. For example I have 6.25 ccs in my 14 cc band. I can eat nachos until the cows come home. Judging by them I have NO restriction. But I had roast last night and had to chew that for a LONG time...small bites, very carefully. It didn't take much to fill me up.

I guess if I get to "almost" 14 ccs in my 14 cc band and could still eat roast like I can eat nachos (or those milkshakes) then I would think something is wrong...either the band is misplaced (surgeon error) or it leaks and they aren't telling me. Because it's just physics...you can't put something bigger through an opening that's smaller, unless that something bigger is very elastic and pliable.

Just my thoughts on the matter, but I think my reasoning is sound. :bored:

I think you are right. I ate about a dozen homemade Cookies for dinner tonight (over a period LOL) I have not done that since Christmas so I don't feel too guilty. They went down really easy as did the ones I ate yesterday when I made them. It takes me a long time to eat the meat, chicken, or even fish that I normally eat. Even Beans I have to eat much slower and get full much faster. It definitely depends on eating the way we are supposed to!! If one has a near full band, there is no way they can eat 1- 2 cups of chicken or beef at one meal!! (at least I am fairly certain they can't!)

Hi, I was concerned about this, too. I am 8cc's out of 10 right now, was banded only a few days before you, 9.18.2008. I am suddenly needing a fill, too, as I can eat a lot more. That is OFTEN because fat around that area of the stomach has reduced and the pouch feels larger (or so I am told, hopefully I am getting the vocab down right.)

NO ONE in the clinic I went to is 100% filled, no liquid can get through. Do you have the Realize band (it holds 10cc's that's why I'm asking) There is a tiny minority that is within a hairsbreadth of 10cc's, but no one is on record (as far as she knew and definitely not at their clinic) as being 100% filled.

Well, hopefully I was able to repeat what I'd learned clearly enough to be understood.

You have it right! As we lose weight we lose fat around the band and it loosens up and we need another fill. That should mean, I would think, that we would have less cc's when we went back, but that's not the case. So how does that work??