Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am only 17 years old and i have a BMI of 44

Hi, im new to this site, but i had a couple of questions for other members....i am only 17 years old, and i have a BMI of 44...would the lap band surgery be covered by insurance?...ive tried dieting for about 2 years now..but i have noticed little difference..i am 5'8" and i weigh in at 290 lbs. HELP!!!!:scared2::crying:

Your insurance should cover it because most require you to have a BMI of 40. My BMI was over 40 to. My insurance require me to be on diet for 7 months going to my regular doctor to be weighed each month. I also had to keep a journal of what I ate and how much exercise I got. I was also required to go to a class on how to eat and a physical therapy class. Once I met the requirements I was approved in less than a week. It was all worth it I've only been banded 3 weeks and have lost 22 pounds.

Hi, im new to this site, but i had a couple of questions for other members....i am only 17 years old, and i have a BMI of 44...would the lap band surgery be covered by insurance?...ive tried dieting for about 2 years now..but i have noticed little difference..i am 5'8" and i weigh in at 290 lbs. HELP!!!!:scared2::crying:

Maybe, but doubtful.

Most people assume they have WLS benefits on their policy but most do not have WLS benefits. Each employer decides if they want to pay the extra premiums for WLS benefits. So for example if you have Blue Cross... B/C covers banding but if the employer doesn't opt for the extra premium then regardless of what you need, it's just not covered.

Most insurance co's require that you be 18 years or older.

You need to call the insurance company and ask if it is covered. Then you look at your policy and confirm what they say as sometimes they are in error.

Then if you have coverage you find out which doctors are in your network. Go to all of their seminars. Choose wisely.

There is a link in my sig on how to research a Mexican band surgeon but most of it will apply to US surgeons as well. Read through that so you know what questions to ask. Post #2 in that link has a list of questions to ask, print out one copy for each MD office that you call.

Compare the doctors and go with the one you want.

If you have WLS benefits find out what your insurance requires, what hoops you have to jump through. For example, you may have to do a medically supervised diet. Get started on that immediately with your PCP. The longer you wait to do it the longer it will be before you get your surgery.

Look at all the surgery types that your insurance covers. Banding is just one option, sleeves are another. Sleeves offer a bit better and faster weight loss and much fewer long term complications. You are 17, you are probably going to want to have children someday. A band or sleeve is absolutely fine for getting pregnant. Bypass.. it's possible but somewhat difficult.

Good luck to you!

Call the number on the back of your card and ask. They can tell you what all you need to do if it is covered. Good luck to you!

*How long until you're 18?

Actually some insurance companies will cover those under 18....I think you just have to jump thru a couple more hoops than the rest of us....if you're about to turn 18 though you can call your insurance company see if its covered and then see what they require you to do b4 you can get approved. If you have to do the 6month doc supervised diet, the psych eval, the nutrition consult and your insurance wont cover until youre 18 well you could go ahead and get started bc the doc supervised diet takes 6months in itself....Good luck to ya! With you being so young I would def make sure that this is something you're ready for go to some support group meetings and listen to those who have had the surgery!!! You have any questions just pm me! Good luck again!!!

My advice to you is to keep dieting, make sure you are being overseen by your physician for documentation purposes, contact your insurance company and find out what your benefits are and then when you turn 18 go and get the lapband.

Good luck to you!